Do we owe Mickey Loomis more credit than given? (1 Viewer)

The Saints have the oldest roster in the NFL and are currently $86 million over the cap. Vast amount of holes to fill and ONLY have 5 picks in the 2024 NFL draft. What does he deserve credit for?

New Orleans Saints 2024 NFL Draft Picks​

Round 1
Round 2 (from DEN)
Round 5
Round 6
Round 6 (from PHI)

He has a championship.
He’s the best player in the Saints history. And the fanbase recognizes it.
He’s still the most hated player by all the other NFCS teams.
He’s gonna be a first ballot HOFer.
He’s gotten the recognition.

Except that still sells him well short of how good he actually was in comparison to every QB in NFL history.

Loomis figures out how to get his coaches the players they want. Loomis is excellent at manipulating the cap. He helped bring us a Super Bowl.

Being a general manager of an NFL team is NOT an easy job. Lots of teams have had a turnover of multiple GMs in the time he has been here. I'm not saying he is without legitimate criticisms but trying to run him out of town is a knee-jerk reaction to wanting Dennis Allen fired.

We could do WAY worse than Loomis,

The Saints have the oldest roster in the NFL and are currently $86 million over the cap. Vast amount of holes to fill and ONLY have 5 picks in the 2024 NFL draft. What does he deserve credit for?

New Orleans Saints 2024 NFL Draft Picks​

Round 1
Round 2 (from DEN)
Round 5
Round 6
Round 6 (from PHI)
Tell me it's a 'what have you done for me lately' world without telling me.

I mean, look at the list of coaches he has not only brought in to interview, but SIGNED here with the Saints. All of this with Brees and SP no longer being here to sweeten the pot.
Would should could. Not too late i.hope

I doubt the love for ML on this board could be increased. He is fawned over like a god. You would think he has guided the franchise to 10 Superbowls.

With the games over with for a long time, Loomis is very skilled at hypnotizing the fanbase back to optimism.

It took wizardry to build a Super Bowl winner but the Saints need a different kind of wizardry now. That is, they need the magician to raise the Saints out of the mediocrity trap.

Saints have 9-8 talent and have a vet QB who instead of coming in and meeting expectations, instead looked like the latest failing audition to replace Drew Brees.

The cap magic is entertaining, but it locks in aging players and quite possibly robs the Saints of better depth players comparative to other teams who have cap flexibility. As so many have said, it was geared to the "one player away" track, when the Saints now are one-player away - in every unit on the team. (with some units needing multiple players).

Plus the drafts have really started to ring up the list of head-scratchers.

What type of recognition do you think is missing?

There are people on this very forum who don't even put Brees in their top five all time QB's despite the fact Brees was absolutely a top five all time QB. He's the most prolific passer in NFL history and crushed records. Not his fault he couldn't win more with historically bad defenses and historically least clutch defenses.

Balanced view:-

1. Don't give Loomis undue credit
Loomis doesn't sign up assistant coaches. The head coach does that.

2. Don't blame Loomis unduly
The WLT of a football team cannot be solely ascribed to it's GM. Or indeed any individual. They are key contributors, perhaps even architects, but not a sole determinant of success/failure.
Our friend across the pond is correct on this imo.

Thinking the OP is trolling tho?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom