Do Ya'll Think Vonn Bell Priced Himself Out (1 Viewer)

Do saints still get their "comp" picks with all these free agent signings?
The only signings we have that counts toward the "free agents gained" category is Sanders and Burton. Jenkins doesn't count since he was released and Peat doesn't count as he was re-signed by us.

The Sanders deal ($8M APY) may cancel out Klein's loss ($6M APY) but I haven't checked out the OTC cancellation chart. Burton's deal isn't large so I wouldn't doubt if it even reaches the cutoff threshold.

EDIT: Yup, he's projecting the Sanders signing cancelling out the projected 6th rounder we possibly could've received for losing Klein.
However on the plus side, the 3rd round compensatory pick we should get for losing Bridgewater possibly might be the 3rd-earliest compensatory pick awarded (would be pick #99) since only Brady and Rivers signed deals for a higher APY ($25M APY) than Bridgewater ($21M APY). So barring any other QB's getting paid big money (or maybe a pass rusher that's still out there), we should get the 3rd highest compensatory pick.

Last edited:
The only signings we have that counts toward the "free agents gained" category is Sanders and Burton. Jenkins doesn't count since he was released and Peat doesn't count as he was re-signed by us.

The Sanders deal ($8M APY) may cancel out Klein's loss ($6M APY) but I haven't checked out the OTC cancellation chart. Burton's deal isn't large so I wouldn't doubt if it even reaches the cutoff threshold.

EDIT: Yup, he's projecting the Sanders signing cancelling out the projected 6th rounder we possibly could've received for losing Klein.
However on the plus side, the 3rd round compensatory pick we should get for losing Bridgewater possibly might be the 3rd-earliest compensatory pick awarded (would be pick #99) since only Brady and Rivers signed deals for a higher APY ($25M APY) than Bridgewater ($21M APY). So barring any other QB's getting paid big money (or maybe a pass rusher that's still out there), we should get the 3rd highest compensatory pick.

I think we are gaining two more picks with a quick look at OTC's comp pick lineup to the right.

Bell and Apple could give us two 5ths, maybe even a 4th. I could see as low as a 6th though.

Assuming we don't sign anyone else worth noting.

Probably. I'd guess, similar to Ingram, the Saints needed a concrete plan in place ASAP. They probably offered Bell the maximum amount they were willing to spend, and he declined. Then when Jenkins became available, they jumped on him. That leads me to believe the Saints probably offered Bell a very fair contract.

Of course, I could be flat wrong altogether. I don't know. I haven't heard any news on Bell whatsoever, so it's possible he isn't getting the interest he thought, or it's possible he's had several lucrative offers that he's debating on.

I think of signing Bell close to the chance of signing Bridgewater, or the chance of keeping J.Jenkins and Apple.

It could happen but it's just very unlikely.

I’m starting to think that the Saints simply didn’t want him back.

You may be right. When a team drafts your replacement the season before your contract year, it is a statement. Evidently the saints don't think CGJ is ready yet, but think Jenk is a better short term plan than Bell for the price.

We haven't had trouble filing this role (Harper, Vaccaro, Bell, CGJ) in the past. Also, I think a lot of teams have been able to fill this role around the league. The SS position has been a tough one to make money in for a couple seasons now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom