Does it feel like 41 years? (old timers alert) (Merged x2) (1 Viewer)

41 years, wow

All i know is the years are going by faster and faster the older i get

That 1967 team was a crew of misfits.... stories of Doug Atkins shooting out a TV during pre-season because he didnt like the commercials... Kilmer drinking more beer than the fans yet somehow still playing at a high level...

Remember the Philly game when we held up play for 20 minutes or so with the foot stomping and booing???

Bourbon Street Billy! I remember sitting in those great bleacher seats as a kid in Tulane Stadium, with fans behind us yelling "we want Hargett!", and my sister and I yelling back, "No we don't!". I remember those stands would literally move with the foot stomping, LOL.

I've got a cup somewhere that has the old "century division" on it....I'll try to take a pic and post it.

41 years...I don't remember the very first few years, but I do remember pretty far back, and what a roller coaster ride it's been....

My father sat me down and told me I could no longer be a Green Bay fan, because we were getting our own team.

Regional broadcasts were unheard of at the time, so you got one game per week as dictated by CBS.

Remember the old CBS Sunday NFL theme music from the 60s? "Confidence" was the name of the tune.

"NFL on CBS" Theme Music History
http://www.dbsforums.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-69622.html

They did broadcast the Saints first game and me and my Dad were sure we had a winner!

Where are you today D'artagnan Martin and Cephus Weatherspoon?

I remember tickets being stuck in the chain-linked fence at Tulane stadium. The beer man walking around with buckets of beer and ice. Obert Logan and a worn out Jimmy Taylor.

Bourbon Street Billy! I remember sitting in those great bleacher seats as a kid in Tulane Stadium, with fans behind us yelling "we want Hargett!", and my sister and I yelling back, "No we don't!". I remember those stands would literally move with the foot stomping, LOL.

I've got a cup somewhere that has the old "century division" on it....I'll try to take a pic and post it.

41 years...I don't remember the very first few years, but I do remember pretty far back, and what a roller coaster ride it's been....

Kilmer sure didn't need Boubon Street... he was an 'equal opportunity' lush.

I can remember after the St. Louis Cardinals game that the Saints won 51 -42, I begged my folks to take me to the airport to welcome the team home after that big win. I followed Billy (along with about a dozen other autograph seekers) with a pen and pad hoping to get him to sign it for me. But he never even acknowledged the crowd that was imploring him.
I followed him out to where a car was waiting, and I stood there watching the car as they sped away stopping only at the traffic light on Airline, then right across the highway to the Airport Hilton hotel. I thought it was odd that he didn't head to his home until I read in the paper the next morning about him being at the hotel lounge all night.

Well, at least he waited to get completely smashed until after the game was won! :hihi:

Kilmer sure didn't need Boubon Street... he was an 'equal opportunity' lush.

I can remember after the St. Louis Cardinals game that the Saints won 51 -42, I begged my folks to take me to the airport to welcome the team home after that big win. I followed Billy (along with about a dozen other autograph seekers) with a pen and pad hoping to get him to sign it for me. But he never even acknowledged the crowd that was imploring him.
I followed him out to where a car was waiting, and I stood there watching the car as they sped away stopping only at the traffic light on Airline, then right across the highway to the Airport Hilton hotel. I thought it was odd that he didn't head to his home until I read in the paper the next morning about him being at the hotel lounge all night.

Well, at least he waited to get completely smashed until after the game was won! :hihi:

Billy enjoyed the Nawlins experience to be sure.... Once asked about spending Saturday nights chasing women on Bourbon Street he said it wasnt a problem for him... he "Caught em early".... The problem was for the guys who spent all night chasing... As I recall ole furnace face wasn't too good looking but hell... who knows..lol

Billy enjoyed the Nawlins experience to be sure.... Once asked about spending Saturday nights chasing women on Bourbon Street he said it wasnt a problem for him... he "Caught em early".... The problem was for the guys who spent all night chasing... As I recall ole furnace face wasn't too good looking but hell... who knows..lol

I can remember when playing neighborhood football games as a kid I would pretend to be Billy Kilmer every time. It helped that everyone in my family referred to me as 'Billy' rather than 'Bill'.

I spoke in his hoarse voice, dropped back to throw like him, gained a gut like him,... in fact, did everything like him as I recall...

except for the drinking and 'catching them early'. ;)

I may have missed the best part. :hihi:

My dad has a picture of me standing next to his '67 Impala with a Saints sticker in the back window... he took me to games in old Tulane Stadium... we parked off of Claiborne Ave. We had the old fold-up vinyl Saints chairs that screwed and attached to the old wooden benches you sat on. We sat in the back corner of the end zone up against the wall.

My mom was pregnant with my brother when Tom Dempsey kicked his 63-yard field goal, and she listened on the radio... she thought she was going to go into labor that day.

I can remember when the Superdome opened, and WWL TV did a special about the building and the dome and giving the audience a "sneak preview" of the new facility... it's also where I heard why the seats looked the way they did (so when the television cameras show the crowd in the background, the seats won't look "empty").

I've seen a lot of heartache and unbelievable, rip-your-guts-out-and-feed-them-to-you type of plays and games... but then I've seen some that make me proud to be a Saints fan.

I've seen the crowd so fed up with the Saints play, that Archie Manning got boo'd when his Royal Oldsmobile commerical came on the screens that hung from the ceiling during a TV timeout.

And I remember the roar when Hakim dropped the ball.

I've see Big Ben, Ty In The Sky, Kenny Duckett's duck calls, Mike Lansford's kick, They Nitty Gritty Dirt Winston Band, Wouda, Coulda, Shoulda, the Dome Patrol, Cha-Ching, Iron Mike and so on...

As Bob Hope said, "Thanks for the Memories..." and here's to more

Happy Birthday Saints

My dad has a picture of me standing next to his '67 Impala with a Saints sticker in the back window... he took me to games in old Tulane Stadium... we parked off of Claiborne Ave. We had the old fold-up vinyl Saints chairs that screwed and attached to the old wooden benches you sat on. We sat in the back corner of the end zone up against the wall.

My mom was pregnant with my brother when Tom Dempsey kicked his 63-yard field goal, and she listened on the radio... she thought she was going to go into labor that day.

I can remember when the Superdome opened, and WWL TV did a special about the building and the dome and giving the audience a "sneak preview" of the new facility... it's also where I heard why the seats looked the way they did (so when the television cameras show the crowd in the background, the seats won't look "empty").

I've seen a lot of heartache and unbelievable, rip-your-guts-out-and-feed-them-to-you type of plays and games... but then I've seen some that make me proud to be a Saints fan.

I've seen the crowd so fed up with the Saints play, that Archie Manning got boo'd when his Royal Oldsmobile commerical came on the screens that hung from the ceiling during a TV timeout.

And I remember the roar when Hakim dropped the ball.

I've see Big Ben, Ty In The Sky, Kenny Duckett's duck calls, Mike Lansford's kick, They Nitty Gritty Dirt Winston Band, Wouda, Coulda, Shoulda, the Dome Patrol, Cha-Ching, Iron Mike and so on...

As Bob Hope said, "Thanks for the Memories..." and here's to more

Happy Birthday Saints

Great memories... somehow a badge of courage or honor for those of us old timers who have endured all this heart ache...

Remember "Scoot in the Morning"... "I hate the Falcons" all summer long... and then the Labor day opener when Erklesaben throws away the game in OT??

I was like, 3!

A lifetime spent in football HELL!

Like moths to the flame.

yea but it will be all that sweeter when we reach the promised land.... just hope we are watching it together and not with our dads and Buddy D when it happens...lol

Who remembers,
the Danny Abramowicz Bunny Bread commercials? Hilarious! You couldn't understand a word he said. When he and Buddy were on the screen at the same time it was like watching a foriegn movie.

Or the ovation Jimmy Taylor would get when he was introduced, you could hear it in Mid City.

Or the half-times when Grambling and Southern marching bands would perform together.

Or the brawl after the Giants game in NY that first year. I thought Atkins was gonna kill somebody.

Or the first win against the Eagles. Flea Roberts returned a kickoff 94 yds and caught a 90yd t.d. pass.

Of course I also remember Johnny U completing 29 passes in row, Walter Payton running for about a million yds, Steve Bartkowski pulling out unbelievable comeback victories game after game Lawrence McCutcheon setting the NFL single game rushing record, drafting Larry Burton, losing 62-0 to Falcons in the Dome and Russle Erxlaben laying in the endzone and blubbering like a little girl.

I remember tickets being stuck in the chain-linked fence at Tulane stadium. The beer man walking around with buckets of beer and ice. Obert Logan and a worn out Jimmy Taylor.

I remember when they walked around with portable kegs on their back. You got a fresh draft oon the spot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom