Draft steals (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
New Orleans Saints: EDGE/LB Zack Baun
a group of baseball players on a field: The Los Angeles Rams have two glaring needs as they enter the 2020 NFL Draft: EDGE and inside linebacker. They could potentially fill them with the same player. Baun profiles perhaps as an EDGE defender, but the Badgers also used him as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. The Rams can use him simliarly--on the edges at first, but take advantage of his coverage skills in certain situations. (Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports)
© File photo The Los Angeles Rams have two glaring needs as they enter the 2020 NFL Draft: EDGE and inside linebacker. They could potentially fill them with the same player. Baun profiles perhaps as an EDGE defender, but the Badgers also used him as an outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. The Rams can use him simliarly--on the edges at first, but take advantage of his coverage skills in certain situations. (Thomas J. Russo-USA TODAY Sports)
Baun was one of my favorite players to watch in this class, and he goes to a perfect schematic fit in New Orleans. He can be deployed to rush the passer from the line of scrimmage, which he did with 53 total pressures for Wisconsin last season. He can also run and cover as an off-ball linebacker, which he did 195 times over the last two seasons, allowing just 112 yards.

I'm really excited about him as a pass rusher. Right now there are so many questions about our ability to get to the QB. If Rankins and/or Davenport can't return to form then Baun should help create some pressure. If Rankins and/or Davenport do return to form then pressuring the passer will not be an issue at all.

I said all along that Zack Baun was my favorite player for our pick #24.
I do like that we picked up Cesar Ruiz. Ruiz and Baun made the most sense I just thought that Ruiz would go late first round to mid second round. We had no shot at Ruiz with my strategy unless we traded into the mid second round.
So, I am very pleased with our SAINTS draft. To get Adam Troutman was a super added bonus.
We had a great draft.

If he can provide the same type of versatility that a young Clay Matthews provided, he would take this defense to the next level. A 3 down linebacker that can rush the passer like an edge with speed and physicality, with sideline to sideline speed, and the ability to cover. This is what Saints fans have been dreaming about since the days where we were praying for guys like Derrick Johnson and Patrick Willis and knew it was a pipe dream.

Speaking of the Rams, they've gone the wrong direction since their Superbowl loss. Meanwhile the Saints keep on improving their roster

Yes I’m hoping Zach Baun can play the AJ Klein role with some added pass rushing from the end spot/3-4 OLB. Play SAM in the base, MIKE in the nickel, and pass rushing DE/3-4 OLB at times. With us playing a lot of times with the DE in a standing position, Baun ought to fit right in to that. Unless Anzalone or Kiko are healthy and playing great from the MIKE in the nickel

I said all along that Zack Baun was my favorite player for our pick #24.
I do like that we picked up Cesar Ruiz. Ruiz and Baun made the most sense I just thought that Ruiz would go late first round to mid second round. We had no shot at Ruiz with my strategy unless we traded into the mid second round.
So, I am very pleased with our SAINTS draft. To get Adam Troutman was a super added bonus.
We had a great draft.
I think we had to draft Ruiz at 24. I don't believe he makes it past Seattle if we would have traded back to the early 2nd.
I think the Saints probably hoped Jefferson, Murphy or Kinlaw would have fallen to them but would take Ruiz as a back up.
I do believe we got lucky to draft Baun where we got him. I liked him best out of the 2nd tier LBs in the draft. He may wind up being the only three down backer out of the 3.

Yeah, that’s one reason I’d be all for bringing in another Vet LB like Clay Matthews, who may not be what he once was, but is good depth and another leader to help the young guys. Either way, hopefully the new LB coach does a good job.

I think he signed with someone.

Yeah, that’s one reason I’d be all for bringing in another Vet LB like Clay Matthews, who may not be what he once was, but is good depth and another leader to help the young guys. Either way, hopefully the new LB coach does a good job.

Totally agree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom