Drew Brees and 4th quarter comebacks (1 Viewer)

Innotech

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
a lot of people say Brees isnt very good at winning when behind in the 4th quarter but after watching highlight vids and games all season, its apparent that he is in fact a VERY good comeback QB. That is because our defense often puts him in the position of having to make up a deficit of 14+ pts in many games. Still, he manages to not only catch up, but in many cases SURPASS that and set the Saints up for a win. It is usually because of a last minute defensive breakdown that the Saints lose games this year. Very few games have been lost on an offensive scoring drive with the ball in Brees' hands. give Brees a defense that can make a stop when it counts and I guarantee at least 11 wins that year.
Its true that he sometimes tries to force plays and gets intercepted, the Bucs game was an example of offense giving the game away, but more often than not Brees gets us back in the game in a very big way only to be let down because the defense doesnt hold up on their end.

drew brees is at his best with a solid defense and a running game to take the pressure off of him, but I guess you could say that about any qb. either way we have to get better on defense and if we sustain balance on the offensive side brees will take us where we want to go.

the saints are 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6, giving luck, breaks, injuries, or a few bad plays here and there, but give this offense a solid defense, and were 11-5, 12-4, 13-3 every season. it's so obvious what's holding this team back, if the Saints are for real they have to stop being so loyal to certain people and start thinking about the team. If they can do it with the most beloved guy (mccallister) in team history, they should be able to do it with a certain someone or two.

a lot of people say Brees isnt very good at winning when behind in the 4th quarter but after watching highlight vids and games all season, its apparent that he is in fact a VERY good comeback QB. That is because our defense often puts him in the position of having to make up a deficit of 14+ pts in many games. Still, he manages to not only catch up, but in many cases SURPASS that and set the Saints up for a win. It is usually because of a last minute defensive breakdown that the Saints lose games this year. Very few games have been lost on an offensive scoring drive with the ball in Brees' hands. give Brees a defense that can make a stop when it counts and I guarantee at least 11 wins that year.
Its true that he sometimes tries to force plays and gets intercepted, the Bucs game was an example of offense giving the game away, but more often than not Brees gets us back in the game in a very big way only to be let down because the defense doesnt hold up on their end.

The Defense stinks but the O has dug itself many a hole by slow starts just like yesterday, I understand wanting something to cheer about-"the number 1 offense" but at times this offense has been downright offensive and far from unstoppable.

The Defense stinks but the O has dug itself many a hole by slow starts just like yesterday, I understand wanting something to cheer about-"the number 1 offense" but at times this offense has been downright offensive and far from unstoppable.
that would be because teams know what Brees is going to do because we hardly run the ball. and yet Brees still manages to do exactly what they expect and still makes some huge plays. that is testament to his veteran vision of the field and the way he knows how to exploit almost any coverage. He has made several great defenses look absolutely mediocre. In any case, we start out games trying to run, and it often fails, which makes for a quick 3 and out and soon our defense puts us in a hole. This happens almostl ike clockwork.

Brees puts this team into position to win the games. This game with Carolina is a perfect illustration, he gets the lead with 3 minutes left and all the defense has to do is hold the opposing team. They can't do it. The lack of 4th quarter comebacks isn't really a fair indictment on Brees or the offense but really on the defense. Because if there is any time left on the clock the defense can be counted on to give up a quick score.

I hate when people put the 0-17 when trailiing going into the fourth nonsense on brees when he or reggie puts us into position to win only to have the d or gramatica lose the game for us.

Out of 2 of our final 3 losses he gave the defense the lead with 3 minutes to go against Kyle Orton and Jake Delhomme.

The defense couldn't make the FINAL stop in either.

And to be fair, Drew did throw two INT's in the 3rd game I am including.

Brees does not do well under pressure in the 4th quarter. his 4th quarter stats are terrible. Even yesterday, when Carolina was giving him the record on the last play of the game, he threw a horrible pass to a wide open receiver.

Brees does not do well under pressure in the 4th quarter. his 4th quarter stats are terrible. Even yesterday, when Carolina was giving him the record on the last play of the game, he threw a horrible pass to a wide open receiver.
1 bad pass doesn't a bad 4th quarter QB make.
he has a qb rating of 74.7 in the first, and 95.3 in the 4th, he's a bad 4th qtr qb?

he has 6 ints' in the 1st, and 6 in the 4th within 7 points. Yes, he needs to clean that up a bit. but i wouldnt' say he's a bad 4th qtr qb.

he put up over 200 yards in the 4th in 2 games. this season alone.

maybe quick to pass judgement?:scratch:

rob, you're letting the facts get in the way of the preconceived notions. :)

Drew led us back from a 20 point 4th quarter deficit only to have the defense blow it. Doesnt matter though. The anti-Brees folks will put this game in the "Brees is a choke artist because he cant lead us from behind and here is proof!" category a few months from now when the argument pops up and they are looking for "evidence" to back up their "point."

hes alright in the 4th quarter in my opinion, not very special at all but with this defense who can be people throw 50 yard passes at will on us.. theres a few i may put ahead of drew in the 4th tha are currently playing not a whole lot though. none of them play in the nfc south either

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom