Duncan: Jammal Brown expected to return in Week 8 (ATL) or Week 9 (CAR) (1 Viewer)

Whether we like it or not, a veteran that has the skins on the wall like Brown, won't lose his startign spot to Bushrod, no matter how good Bushrod plays. What has a realistic chance of happening if Bushrod plays well in Brown's absense is, we let Brown leave in the Offseason and Bushrod replaces him next year.

There's no way a player of Brown's ability rides the pine.

You assuming Brown's ability is the same as it was in the past. I don't think that should be taken for granted. Brown will have to show in practice he's better to play than Bushrod. I'd be shocked if coach Peyton didn't do that, esp. if the team is winning.

You assuming Brown's ability is the same as it was in the past. I don't think that should be taken for granted. Brown will have to show in practice he's better to play than Bushrod. I'd be shocked if coach Peyton didn't do that, esp. if the team is winning.

Your right, I did assume that. I think for the sake of this conversation you have to. Otherwise, what do we have to debate? If we don't assume, It could be argued Brown will come back and play bad enough that he'd be out of NFL by week 10.

Nicks won his job because of injury, so I wouldn't rule Bushrod out. I bet it will be close.

Brown may have been pro bowl, but he also got caught holding alot. I don't remember hearing Bushrod's name at all in 2 games. To me, that's BIG.

Nicks won his job because of injury, so I wouldn't rule Bushrod out. I bet it will be close.

Nesbit doesn't = Brown. Completely different situation. Also, Nicks played lights out in Nesbits absense. I'm probably the biggest Bushrod fan, but he hasn't played nearly as well as Nicks played last year.

Nesbit doesn't = Brown. Completely different situation. Also, Nicks played lights out in Nesbits absense. I'm probably the biggest Bushrod fan, but he hasn't played nearly as well as Nicks played last year.

Correct, these are definitely two different situations. Nesbit is a good player, but he was far from the player Brown is.

If Brown comes back healthy and practices well, he will most likely start. Everyone needs to get used to that.

However, as has been mentioned, if Bushrod's performances continue to improve, it definitely gives us flexibility to move Brown at some point. But Bushrod will have to play much better than he has the past two weeks to make Brown expendable. He's been serviceable, but not the Pro-bowler Brown is.

Brown may have been pro bowl, but he also got caught holding alot. I don't remember hearing Bushrod's name at all in 2 games. To me, that's BIG.

:plus-un2:

This has been the thing I have been most pleased with...Bushrod may still be a little wet behind the ears, but he hasn't committed any penalties yet this season, whereas Brown was notorious for committing holding penalties at very crucial times that often negated big plays...see Reggie's TD run against Denver last year...and I'm pretty sure there was a very big play negated in the Minn game as well

Do we want Browns first game back to be against Abraham or Peppers? Im sure SP will get a feel for how well he is healed and whats his condition like before allowing him to protect DBs blind side.

keep in mind we're talking about an ALL-PRO left tackle who's injured here.
Bushrod hasn't been bad, but when Cole leveled Brees last Sunday i'm sure all of you were cursing Bushrod for getting beat. remember that Shockey had 3 catches before that sack, then after they moved a TE to that side to help Bushrod he didn't have any.

I wasn't cussin out Bushrod since I was too busy looking for the number to the suicide prevention hotline! I just knew Brees wasn't getting up after that hit.

I really, really wanted him back for the Giants game =/

I know everyone is hot on the Bushrod band-wagon, but even though he settled down after getting beat by Trent Cole in the Eagles game on that 1 sack he got a fair amount of help scheme-wise in terms of TE chips, etc throughout the game. It's unlikely we'd have had to do that for Jammal Brown.

Bushrod hasn't been bad, but when Cole leveled Brees last Sunday i'm sure all of you were cursing Bushrod for getting beat. remember that Shockey had 3 catches before that sack, then after they moved a TE to that side to help Bushrod he didn't have any.

Yep. And we're facing a Buffalo team that's struggled with TEs all season.

I think it's safe to say if Brown had played vs the Eagles, he never would have gotten that sort of help. It was Bushrod's second game, i'm not saying he might not take the job from Brown yet, but let's not "crown him" yet.

Except one thing...Bushrod is NOT playing at a high level. He's performing as well as you would hope for a stop gap.

he's a starting LT in the NFL that has given up one sack against a top-5 NFL defense. I don't think Brown fares much better than that, regardless of whatever help he got from the TE. Brown has had plenty of TE help over the past few years as well. I'm not insinuating Bushrod is a hall of famer, but I think his play has been more than just "serviceable"

This has been the thing I have been most pleased with...Bushrod may still be a little wet behind the ears, but he hasn't committed any penalties yet this season, whereas Brown was notorious for committing holding penalties at very crucial times that often negated big plays...see Reggie's TD run against Denver last year...and I'm pretty sure there was a very big play negated in the Minn game as well

I would prefer a holding penalty rather than Brees getting blindsided like he did last game. Sometimes a ten yard penalty is worth keeping Brees clean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom