Either the Broncos are going to be the cure to our 3rd down woes or us theirs. (33 Viewers)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Something will have to give. Bo Nix and company are 2nd worst team in the league on 3rd downs converting on just 36% of their opportunities. Meanwhile our issues are well documented on defense, so it's the moveable object meeting the stoppable force.

Something will have to give. Bo Nix and company are 2nd worst team in the league on 3rd downs converting on just 36% of their opportunities. Meanwhile our issues are well documented on defense, so it's the moveable object meeting the stoppable force.
If we can get Werner back, I feel a lot better about us on defense. As it stands, I need Alontae Taylor blitzing Nix as much as possible

If you haven't watched the Broncos/Chargers game yet, you should. Denver's offense was the kind of performance that said "if the Saints defense can't get right against this, they're never getting right."

The Saints two starting receivers will have a combined 11 catches for 85 yards for the whole season so far. And the only other health receiver only has 3 catches. I don't see any scenario where this ends well, which is really unfortunate for Rattler. I will consider it a win if Rattler is actually able to finish the game.

How is Denver D this year? They're 3-3 so we have a chance to win. But being a short week I don't have my hopes up.

I don't know about the rest of ya's, but I almost want to look the other way when our defense forces the opposition into 3rd and long situations knowing that there is a good chance they will convert. :covri: (usually through a penalty)
Yup, no matter how long they have to go to get the 1st down, they will get it on our defense

My answer to 3rd down woes is don't waste 1st and 2nd downs. Errors, penatlies, poor blocking, and all round bad play is putting us in a situation where we have to rely on an average QB (Carr or Rattler) to bail us out on 3rd and long. That has never been a successful strategy in the NFL. There are only about 5 QB's in the NFL who can win games like that.

If you give him 3rd and 3 and he overthrows someone or misses a read, that is on him. If the team hands the QB 3rd and 10 every series, that is on the team around him that means that the 10 of you (mostly Oline) did nothing worthwhile at all on the other two downs.

Take Carr. When you 3rd and 3 all game, he is one of the highest rated QBs in the game, 3rd and 10+ he is one of the worst.

Last edited:
Meh, while we are 20th in third down percentage allowed, at ~40%, we're actually ahead of Baltimore (41%), Buffalo (42%), San Francisco (43%), Washington (46%) and Atlanta, who 31st with 48%. Those five other teams are all leading their division

I would note we're also 4th in takeaways with 12.

Defense hasn't been the problem in the 4 losses, except for Tampa Bay. And I think they would have looked alot better, had the offense not stalled in the 2nd half.

If we can get Werner back that would be a big help. I think DA read them the riot act this week and had a come to Jesus meeting.
While he couldn't work them hard in practice I'll bet he was hard on them mentally

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom