ESPN Writer tabs the Saints as the Best Fit for Justin Simmons (2 Viewers)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Would you be for or against the Saints adding Simmons?
Enjoy!!

This post may sting a little. But it needs to be said. Do I like Justin Simmons? Yes. Do I think he’s good and would do good here? Yes. But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to right the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process. Especially for a team that would simply be competing for a playoff spot and maybe win 1 playoff game. Why make our cap issues that much more difficult for a team that’s not a contender?

If you’re telling me he signs for minimum or close to it I’m jumping for joy; but that’s just not reality.

Last edited:
This post may sting a little. But it needs to be said. Do I like Justin Simmons? Yes. Do I think he’s good and would do good here? Yes. But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to write the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process. Especially for a team that would simply be competing for a playoff spot and maybe win 1 playoff game. Why make our cap issues that much more difficult for a team that’s not a contender?

If you’re telling me he signs for minimum or close to it I’m jumping for joy; but that’s just not reality.
Agreed and I remember Andrus posting something the other day alluding to Simmons stating that he wanted to play for a contender. I don't think he'd come to New Orleans unless they broke the bank for him, or if he ends up having no other suitors.

This post may sting a little. But it needs to be said. Do I like Justin Simmons? Yes. Do I think he’s good and would do good here? Yes. But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to write the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process. Especially for a team that would simply be competing for a playoff spot and maybe win 1 playoff game. Why make our cap issues that much more difficult for a team that’s not a contender?

Absolutely. We need to get out of the “one player away” mentality. Sure…the stars can align and the Saints can contend. But that’s not how you should run a franchise.

But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to write the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process.
I've thought the same thing many times over the years, but just when we seem to be trying to play the long game, a shiny object appears and there goes the team balance and the cap. A little cap money seems to burn a hole in someone's pocket.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]

Agreed and I remember Andrus posting something the other day alluding to Simmons stating that he wanted to play for a contender. I don't think he'd come to New Orleans unless they broke the bank for him, or if he ends up having no other suitors.

Absolutely. We need to get out of the “one player away” mentality. Sure…the stars can align and the Saints can contend. But that’s not how you should run a franchise.

I agree with all of the above. However, what keeps coming to mind is what happened to the Saints defense when the Saints signed S Darren Sharper in 2009. That was lightning in a bottle.

Then again, there were also terrible subsequent FA Safety signings of the likes of Jarious Byrd, and Brandon Browner to consider, and that 2009 team had Drew Brees in his prime.

I agree with all of the above. However, what keeps coming to mind is what happened to the Saints defense when the Saints signed S Darren Sharper in 2009. That was lightning in a bottle.

Then again, there were also terrible subsequent FA Safety signings of the likes of Jarious Byrd, and Brandon Browner to consider, and that 2009 team had Drew Brees in his prime.

I will never underrate the signing of Sharper that season, but important to keep in mind that was the first year of 3G as well. Completely changed the culture/mindset on defense.

This post may sting a little. But it needs to be said. Do I like Justin Simmons? Yes. Do I think he’s good and would do good here? Yes. But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to right the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process. Especially for a team that would simply be competing for a playoff spot and maybe win 1 playoff game. Why make our cap issues that much more difficult for a team that’s not a contender?

We will definitely be leaning more towards young inexpensive depth players to fill out the roster and contribute and I agree signing Simmons (if not for prove it deal) does go against the salary cap reset the Saints have been doing this off-season.

There are many other glaring needs that spending big for a safety would seem to be ill advised.

There are many other glaring needs that spending big for a safety would seem to be ill advised.
I would definitely not spend big on Simmons, but I also think that if Simmons was going to land a high dollar contract it would have already happened. If the price is right and he wants to be here, which is a big if, I doubt that many here would scoff at the signing.

I read in another thread that Simmons said he wanted to join a contender and help them win a championship.

That’s not this team. Saints would have to over pay for him, and that still is no guarantee he’d want to come

[/QUOTE]
If he has the legs to play single high safety at an elite level, then he could be a huge piece. I’m not sure if Howden has thst kind of range

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom