ESPN Writer tabs the Saints as the Best Fit for Justin Simmons (1 Viewer)

I agree with all of the above. However, what keeps coming to mind is what happened to the Saints defense when the Saints signed S Darren Sharper in 2009. That was lightning in a bottle.
When the Saints signed Sharper… they already had Drew Brees and Sean Payton, and had just come off of a NFCCG appearance vs the Bears in 2006!!! The main pieces were in place!!!

…This team has Derek Carr 🙃 and Dennis Allen 💩 and is coming off of missing the playoffs with the easiest schedule in league history!!!!

It’s nowhere near the same situation!!!!

This is more like when the Saints had Rick Venturi at HC and Jim Everett at QB. A joke of a HC and fools gold at QB.

I think that if this were in their plans, they would have signed him before minicamp so he could get acclimated to the system, could be wrong...

When the Saints signed Sharper… they already had Drew Brees and Sean Payton, and had just come off of a NFCCG appearance vs the Bears in 2006!!! The main pieces were in place!!!

…This team has Derek Carr 🙃 and Dennis Allen 💩 and is coming off of missing the playoffs with the easiest schedule in league history!!!!

This is more like when the Saints had Rick Venturi at HC and Jim Everett at QB. A joke of a HC and fools gold at QB.
What you fail to include is the lack of talent at oline, receiver, and tight end which all need to be addressed.

that piece is from Andrus, not from me. However, i agree with his take 100%. Pretending like Sharper didnt have an impact is simply false. Sharper gave our D a swag that its never had before. You're just trying to find a reason to promote your theory that the world is over w/ DA and DC at the helm. When Saban left LSU there was a gradual drop off. Some peaks too, but eventually a drop off. BAMA fans are currently in denial thinking Deboer will pick up where Saban left off. When even non football people know, that they are going to drop-off and fall back to the herd. Its simple Math. 0 + Saban = Greatness. 0 + someone not Saban = drop off. The same goes for Sean and Drew. The Saints inevitably have dropped off. The results have shown that the floor is around .500. We're just average again. Get used to it, because greatness is not common. However, there is hope. There are other teams that have figured out a way to be great (SF/RAMS/Dallas/.Detroit) with a non-great /average QB. The greatness of their system alone elevated their average qb, by taking away his responsibilities. Becasue when the averge QB is given full responisbility, he will make mistakes, take sacks, throw into traffic, miss wide-open receivers, throw interceptions and even pick 6s. These mistakes show the world why they are not great. (For the record, Brady/Brees/Manning were great when given full responisbility) Our ceiling right now is winning the division then getting crushed by the Rams/SF/Detriot/Dallas/Philly etc. So it makes sense when you do not have greatness at QB, that you try and duplicate the systems of the teams that are winning without QB greatness. We have done that, so lets hope the system can be quickly learned in one offeseason enough so that it raises our celing. In two more years it should be complete. Real football people understand that DA and DC together dont equal greatness, but they were the best available at the time to replace the greatness that left your building. DC is certianly the best QB since DB. And DA is as good as any coach out there that doesnt have a Drew Brees. At least DA was able to hold up his half of the team, the D, to being great. At least we're half way there with the potential to be great. Yea i said it, potential to be great. This scenerio beats the more popular scenerio of burning it down to the ground firing everyone and resetting the cap by cutting all of the high contracts. This scenrerio would take a minimum of three years 3-14 football.

Last edited:
This post may sting a little. But it needs to be said. Do I like Justin Simmons? Yes. Do I think he’s good and would do good here? Yes. But signing him at the money he’s looking for would be the exact opposite of what we have been doing all offseason. We’re trying to right the ship in terms of the cap situation. That’s a process that’s going to take a few years, and signing Simmons would go directly against and further hinder that process. Especially for a team that would simply be competing for a playoff spot and maybe win 1 playoff game. Why make our cap issues that much more difficult for a team that’s not a contender?

If you’re telling me he signs for minimum or close to it I’m jumping for joy; but that’s just not reality.
I think it’s the opposite. Owner and GM used to winning wants the playoffs. Coach on the Hot Seat wants big plays. And the off season moves have put us into position to go out and make these types of moves.

We are now more flexible than ever, and we are as flexible as it gets with the cap.

Didn't we have 2 consecutive losing seasons before the 09 year with Sharper?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom