Excercise Equipment (1 Viewer)

VVextreme

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in an apartment so my space is limited. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I am thinking elliptical machine, but if there's something else out there that is just awesome... feel free to recommend it.

But does anyone know the best place to find a good deal on ellipticals? I'd like to stay under $1,000. I'd rather not even spend that much, but I need to get in better shape and do something. Anyone have any experience with these things? And how hard are they to put together?

If you have any specific models or links to places to buy these things... feel free to share whatever input you have. Thanks!

In all seriousness, get a good pair of shoes and start running. I have spent less on shoes <$300 in the last year than most people have on thier exercise equipment. I'm not trying to sound like an ***, but so many people I know have spent a huge chunk of money on equipment that becomes nothing more than a coatrack.

In all seriousness, get a good pair of shoes and start running. I have spent less on shoes <$300 in the last year than most people have on thier exercise equipment. I'm not trying to sound like an ***, but so many people I know have spent a huge chunk of money on equipment that becomes nothing more than a coatrack.
Not bad advice, but what if heed needs something with a lower impact?
I had to give up running due to the fact that my feet and knees just can't handle it any more. An elliptical machine helps a lot.

I hear ya, but straight up running is really boring to me. Plus the weather in Florida can get really harsh, so an elliptical would be ideal as it would be in the AC, can do it anytime I am home and could watch tv while I am running for entertainment value.

Plus running and the impact is really hard on the knees.

Sure diet is really important too, but when you sit at a desk every day for work... it's nice to burn some calories as well doing something physical. I used to play sports all of the time, but it's hard to find people at the last minute to play sometimes. Figured I'd try something and hope it makes a difference.

Not bad advice, but what if heed needs something with a lower impact?
I had to give up running due to the fact that my feet and knees just can't handle it any more. An elliptical machine helps a lot.

I find this issue fascinating.

I used to use the elliptical instead of running because of my knees. I ended up in the hospital because of the pain - knees weren't tracking properly. Was told to stop high impact exercise - like jogging.

Then I read Born to Run

And I slowly worked some thin-soled and barefoot work into my workouts. Knee is tracking better and pain is significantly less. I went from a doctor predicting surgery to jogging successfully with no pain regularly

Now, this doesn't mean running works for everyone. But I think it might be worth exploring for some people who claim knee issues.

I never thought I would, because of the chronic pain - but the changes in footwear and running styles/activities as well as weight loss have made a huge difference.

Will second icebox's comment on the diet - if you're not ready to change up what you eat and show some discipline, the elliptical alone probably won't lead to significant or quick results (key for motivation)

Close friend spent 1500 on an elliptical - uses it 3 times/week, 30 mins or so. Hasn't changed his diet whatsoever. Since he bought it last winter, he's down 6 pounds.

Personally, I don't like the elliptical machines. If knees and impact are an issue, I'd go with a stationary bike at home. At the gym, I opted for the rowing machine most of the time.

I think, though, that you could also consider one of those adjustable weight dumbbells with a nice bench/seat. You can get your heart rate up and keep it up easily while also getting resistance training. And that will also help burn calories, too.

Diet is very important.

I'd recommend looking into a bike. If you're going to spend a pretty penny on an elliptical, I think a bike provides similar exercise with the added benefit of being outside. A bike also allows you to build exercise into the day, as you can take that to work, the drug store, or the grocery instead of your car. Florida has some wonderful bike trails which make for fun adventures, especially if you take a friend. I know Floridian weather may be a concern (I went to school in Gainesville), but speeding along on a bike provides a breeze, and the heat isn't as big as a concern as you would think. In fact, I always found biking during the summer much more tolerable than running.

I hear ya, but straight up running is really boring to me. Plus the weather in Florida can get really harsh, so an elliptical would be ideal as it would be in the AC, can do it anytime I am home and could watch tv while I am running for entertainment value.

Plus running and the impact is really hard on the knees.

Sure diet is really important too, but when you sit at a desk every day for work... it's nice to burn some calories as well doing something physical. I used to play sports all of the time, but it's hard to find people at the last minute to play sometimes. Figured I'd try something and hope it makes a difference.

Why not a real bike that you can ride when the weather is "acceptable" to you, and then get one of those mounts that allows you to set it up as a stationary bike when you don't feel like venturing out? Also, does your apartment complex have a pool, and if so, can you swim? It's nice to have options to break up the same routines...

so many people I know have spent a huge chunk of money on equipment that becomes nothing more than a coatrack.

FWIW, our treadmill holds all kinds of clothes - not just coats. And it's really good with towels.

:hihi: true story

IMO, if running is boring to you, then your not hitting the right heart rate zone vs aerobic activity. When you do, and you get done with a good run, you will know it, and feel more alive then you do any other minute of the day through the whole week.

There's really only one other moment that is better. :hihi:

Well...I take that back, the Saints winning the NFC champ and then the Bowl game supersede all.

Anyway, Im probably having both hips replaced in the next year or so, so if you can run, do it, and enjoy it, before you lose the ability to do it.

Oh, and the elliptical can be hard on the knees as well.

Bike would be my preference as well.

Why not a real bike that you can ride when the weather is "acceptable" to you, and then get one of those mounts that allows you to set it up as a stationary bike when you don't feel like venturing out?

That would be a trainer. The CycleOps Fluid 2, Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and 1up are popular models.

To add to the bike discussion, are you single? Biking can be a great topic of conversation with ladies who are interested in it as well. Alot of fit women I know enjoy biking, so generally it's an easy conversation with an attractive female. On the other hand, the elliptical in the corner isn't nearly as interesting...

Or if you're in a relationship, it can be a great way for both of you to get exercise and spend time together. Two birds with one stone.

I find this issue fascinating.

I used to use the elliptical instead of running because of my knees. I ended up in the hospital because of the pain - knees weren't tracking properly. Was told to stop high impact exercise - like jogging.

Then I read Born to Run

And I slowly worked some thin-soled and barefoot work into my workouts. Knee is tracking better and pain is significantly less. I went from a doctor predicting surgery to jogging successfully with no pain regularly

Now, this doesn't mean running works for everyone. But I think it might be worth exploring for some people who claim knee issues.

I never thought I would, because of the chronic pain - but the changes in footwear and running styles/activities as well as weight loss have made a huge difference.

Will second icebox's comment on the diet - if you're not ready to change up what you eat and show some discipline, the elliptical alone probably won't lead to significant or quick results (key for motivation)

Close friend spent 1500 on an elliptical - uses it 3 times/week, 30 mins or so. Hasn't changed his diet whatsoever. Since he bought it last winter, he's down 6 pounds.

Personally, I don't like the elliptical machines. If knees and impact are an issue, I'd go with a stationary bike at home. At the gym, I opted for the rowing machine most of the time.

I think, though, that you could also consider one of those adjustable weight dumbbells with a nice bench/seat. You can get your heart rate up and keep it up easily while also getting resistance training. And that will also help burn calories, too.

Fantastic book. After reading it I took up running also. I love it even though the first couple of months were tough on the knees as they worked into shape. I don't mind running in the reaiin, but in 110 degrees it does stink. Of course I like being outside.

One Kettlebell is all you need. I'm out here in Afghanistan and starting swinging Kettlebells about 2 months ago. I'm selling all of my weights as soon as I get home. Best workouts for overall fitness I've ever experienced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom