Favorite Albums of 2010 (1 Viewer)

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Time for another year's favorites thread to complement the running 2010 threads and to combat the maligners of modern music. What were some of your favorites this year?

Here's my top 50 with links to the artist's site, the full streaming album (if available), the label, 3 favorite songs with links in preference of official video/live video/studio version, and the album's EPK/making of/other background video (if available). As always, most of my rankings are rather fluid and I hope to discover a few more contenders.

albumsof2010.jpg

1. JJ Grey & Mofro - Georgia Warhorse (Alligator)2. Galactic - Ya-Ka-May (Anti)
"Dark Water", "Heart of Steel", "You Don't Know" - EPK
3. Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame (Anti)4. Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me (Drag City)5. Robert Randolph & The Family Band - We Walk This Road (Warner)6. Shinyribs - Well After Awhile (Nine Mile Records)
"Who Built The Moon", "East TX Rust", "(If You Need the) 442"​
7. Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Preservation: An Album To Benefit Preservation Hall & The Preservation Hall Music Outreach Program (Self-released)
"Tootie Ma Is A Big Fine Thing", "Louisiana Fairytale", "Taint Nobody's Business" - EPK
8. That 1 Guy - Packs a Wallop! (Self-released)
"Modern Man", "Laser Beans", "Warn the Kids" - EPK
9. Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues (Bloodshot)10. Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue - Backatown (Verve Forecast)11. Carolina Chocolate Drops - Genuine Negro Jig (Nonesuch)12. Tim Barry - 28th & Stonewall (Suburban Home)13. Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses - Junky Star (Lost Highway)14. Black Mountain - Wilderness Heart (Jagjaguwar)15. Ray Wylie Hubbard - A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There Is No C) (Bordello/Self-released)16. Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings - I Learned the Hard Way (Daptone)17. South Memphis String Band - Home Sweet Home (Memphis International)18. The Hold Steady - Heaven Is Whenever (Vagrant)19. Aloe Blacc - Good Things (Stones Throw)20. Various Artists - Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: Songs of John Prine (Oh Boy)21. Cee-Lo Green - The Lady Killer (Elektra/Asylum)22. Robert Plant - Band of Joy (Rounder)23. The Roots - How I Got Over (Def Jam)24. Rachel & The Soul Criminals - Plain & Simple (Soulplex)
"Speechless", "Plain & Simple", "Do Your Worst"​
25. Hans Chew - Tennessee and Other Stories... (Three Lobed Recordings)26. Band of Horses - Infinite Arms (Columbia)
"Laredo", "Factory", "NW Apt." - EPK
27. John Hiatt - The Open Road (New West)28. Joe Pug - Messenger (Lightning Rod)29. Deer Tick - The Black Dirt Sessions (Partisan)30. The Bamboos - 4 (Tru Thoughts)31. Black Dub - Black Dub (Jive)
"Canaan", "Surely", "Sing" - EPK
32. The Sword - Warp Riders (Kemado)33. Th' Legendary Shack Shakers - Agri-dustrial (Colonel Knowledge/Self-released)
"Hoboes Are My Heroes", "Dixie Iron Fist", "Greasy Creek" - EPK
34. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine (Koch)35. Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs - God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise (RCA)36. The Black Keys - Brothers (Nonesuch)37. Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic (Nonesuch)38. Trampled by Turtles - Palomino (Banjodad/Self-released)39. Vampire Weekend - Contra (XL)40. Buddy Guy - Living Proof (Jive/Silvertone)41. The Head and the Heart - The Head and the Heart (Self-released)42. The Phantom Band - The Wants (Chemikal Underground )43. Kylesa - Spiral Shadow (Season of Mist)44. Black Prairie - Feast of the Hunters' Moon (Sugar Hill)45. Drive-By Truckers - The Big To-Do (ATO)46. The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards (Warner)47. The Derek Trucks Band - Roadsongs (Sony Masterworks)48. Busdriver - Computer Cooties (Self-released)49. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & The Cairo Gang - The Wonder Show of the World (Drag City)50. She & Him - Volume Two (Merge)

ghost-opus eponymous (sounds like mercyful fate crossed with blue oyster cult)

I look forward to your list every year, Sev.

Mine this year in no particular order:

1. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
2. Fake Problems - Real Ghosts Caught On Tape
3. Los Campesinos! - Romance is Boring
4. The Morning Benders - Big Echo
5. Free Energy - Free Energy
6. The Hold Steady - Heaven is Whenever
7. Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
8. Two Door Cinema Club - Tourist History
9. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
10. Crime In Stereo - I Was Trying to Describe You to Someone
11. Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame
12. Cold War Kids - Behave Yourself (EP)

These are the one's off the top of my head, but I may add a couple later.

Can't disagree with anything on your list, Severum. To it I would add:
Jeff Beck - Emotion & Commotion
Joe Bonamassa - Black Rock
Widespread Panic - Dirty Side Down
and the Allman Brothers set at Jazzfest.

My hat's off to anyone who can order ten records by how much they like them, much less fifty.

But that JJ Grey & Mofro would easily be in my top five if I did.

Good call on Aloe Blacc.

Right off the top of my head:
1. The Roots - How I Got Over
2. Eminem - Recovery
3. Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow

album8702.jpg

Whitechapel's A New Era of Corruption was damn good. But I'm biased, as an avid fan of theirs. I'd like to see Lustmord's list. Miss May I, Avenged Sevenfold, and Periphery all had good albums.

I should also add that I have not yet heard the new Joe Krown album but I ordered it from La. Music Factory the other day. It could well belong on my tops of 2010 list too.

If Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi put out an album next year, you can go ahead and add it to the 2011 list right now. The new material they've been playing live is unreal.

Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Eminem - Recovery
Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer
Kanye West - MBDTF

ghost-opus eponymous (sounds like mercyful fate crossed with blue oyster cult)

yeah- this is generating a bit of buzz- though i dont care for it- lots of speculation as to who the members are.

Mine so far (ive linked to reviews where possible)

Entrails "Tales From the Morgue"

Arkheth - "IX & I: The Quintessence of Algaresh

Agalloch "Marrow of the Spirit

The Makai "Embracing the Shroud of a Blackened Sky"

Aiumeen Basoa - "Iraganeko Bide Malkartsuti"

Norse "Hellstorm"

Nightbringer "Apocalypse Sun"

Iron Thrones "The Wretched Sun"

Jaldaboath "Rise of the Heraldic Beasts"

Rotting Christ - "Aeolo"

Negura Bunget "Vîrstele Pămîntulu"

Decrepit Birth "Polarity"

Nechochwen ""Azimuths to the Underworld"

The Red Shore "The Avarice of Man"

Black Breath "Heavy breathing"

Shadow of the Colossus" S/t"

Woe "Quietly, Undramatically"

Hail of Bullets "On Divine Winds"

Equilibrium "Rekreatur"

Killing the Dream "Lucky Me"

Im still waiting on hearing the new Deathspell Omega- so its feasible that these will all get changed by one spot and KTD gets bumped

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom