Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore... (1 Viewer)

A ship hit the bridge. According to NPR rescue personnel are looking for at least 7 people in the water. The only saving grace is that traffic was light at the time.

The bridge is a main crossing on the Baltimore Beltway (I-695) over the Patapsco River. Traffic is going to be a nightmare until the bridge is rebuilt.

The Patapsco runs right into Baltimore harbor and the Port of Baltimore terminal. Until the bridge wreckage is removed ships will not be able to access the port. The Port of Baltimore handled more than 52 million tons of international cargo worth over $80 billion last year — the ninth-highest total among US ports, according to CNN

This is terrible on many levels :(

Last edited:
Probably not a good outlook for those who went into the river. River currents are nasty.

I was just watching a replay of the live stream which showed all the lights on the container ship going completely off and back on about a minute apart (twice) just before hitting the bridge support. The ship must have been moving at a good clip without control at the moment of impact because the stern threw up a very large spray as the bow crashed into the support.

Since the entire ship's crew survived the incident, they should be able to reveal if the ship was running under its own power or whether it was adrift due to some serious malfunction(s). If you begin watching the livestream at 1:24 EDT, (time shown at the top of the recorded video) you will see the ship approaching from the left side of this YouTube video.

Last edited:
Holy smokes

Looks like they lost power and therefore steering, possibly fired up the emergency generator or secondary gen and lost it too. It does not look like they dropped anchor before colliding with the bridge as the chain is currently straight up and down. Hard to tell. Terrible day for people in that bridge.

I was just watching a replay of the live stream which showed all the lights on the container ship going completely off and back on about a minute apart (twice) just before hitting the bridge support. The ship must have been moving at a good clip without control at the moment of impact because the stern threw up a very large spray as the bow crashed into the support.

Since the entire ship's crew survived the incident, they should be able to reveal if the ship was running under its own power or whether it was adrift due to some serious malfunction(s). If you begin watching the livestream at 1:24 EDT, (time shown at the top of the recorded video) you will see the ship approaching from the left side of this YouTube video.

News is saying it wasn't under power and gave warning to the harbor that it may collide with bridge.

Dang, y'all got this quickly. I thought it almost literally just happened. Amazing that it was all on video.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom