Friends star Matthew Perry dead of apparent drowning (2 Viewers)

I think where it makes a bigger difference is if there's an accident, like if someone breaks a leg or is knocked unconscious, then having someone there to help would make a difference. You don't have to be married though. If you have a roommate or someone you connect with frequently that helps.

Marriage certainly isn't for everyone. Nothing at all wrong with being single. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Kinda like a lot of things in life.

Fwiw, the person who ran an errand for him left and returned 2 hour later. That's a long arse errand.

i read somewhere that it was to pick up a new iPhone and something else, so 2 hours seems about right .. or actually, pretty quick .

As for the discussion above, i dont mean to disparage marriage (hey that rhymes)- there’s a reason they call it an ‘institution ‘… seriously though, i think marriage works for some people , and can be healthy and fulfilling .. i dont *personally* know too many of those people, but i know they exist .. so do what works for you, dont “get married in case you have a medical emergency” or (as i have literally heard people say not joking)- “have kids so you have someone to take care of you when youre old”.. maybe it’s just me , but I know plenty of people who are estranged from their parents and families, so if you do those things specifically for those reasons- then you deserve whatever fate befalls you .

Btw if i were a “high net worth individual”- ie filthy rich- i think one of the best things would be hiring an assistant to do all of life’s pain in the arse things .. i actually know a couple who retired, wealthy, at 35 from a family business.. and they actually did that exact same thing about 10 years ago, they hired -not an assistant- but a college kid to stand in line at the Apple Store the day a new iPhone was released so they didnt have to.. now i guess of course wouldnt have to be a rich person to have someone do that for you, but im just saying , if i had Friends-level cash, i would defintiely hire someone to run around doing the mundane stuff while i played pickleball .

i read somewhere that it was to pick up a new iPhone and something else, so 2 hours seems about right .. or actually, pretty quick .
Yeah, that makes sense.
As for the discussion above, i dont mean to disparage marriage (hey that rhymes)- there’s a reason they call it an ‘institution ‘… seriously though, i think marriage works for some people , and can be healthy and fulfilling .. i dont *personally* know too many of those people, but i know they exist .. so do what works for you, dont “get married in case you have a medical emergency” or (as i have literally heard people say not joking)- “have kids so you have someone to take care of you when youre old”.. maybe it’s just me , but I know plenty of people who are estranged from their parents and families, so if you do those things specifically for those reasons- then you deserve whatever fate befalls you .
Certainly, I think most people get married because they're attracted to their spouse and want to have a family together. Things change though. People grow together or apart and no matter what anyone says, marriage is great, but it's also hard work. There's no auto-pilot. You gotta nurture it, work at it and both spouses have to participate.

In my family, I always loved the holidays because we would get together with aunts and uncles and cousins and I always enjoyed doing things with our family. My parents never divorced and they've been together 55 years. It's hard to imagine life without my wife and 4 kids.

I've seen aunts and uncles marry and divorce. Some multiple times. They are messy and cause a lot of friction in the rest of the family. And the kids are often collateral damage, unfortunately.

I don't anticipate my wife and I splitting up anytime soon, but if that were to happen, no way I'm marrying again, lol.

Btw if i were a “high net worth individual”- ie filthy rich- i think one of the best things would be hiring an assistant to do all of life’s pain in the arse things .. i actually know a couple who retired, wealthy, at 35 from a family business.. and they actually did that exact same thing about 10 years ago, they hired -not an assistant- but a college kid to stand in line at the Apple Store the day a new iPhone was released so they didnt have to.. now i guess of course wouldnt have to be a rich person to have someone do that for you, but im just saying , if i had Friends-level cash, i would defintiely hire someone to run around doing the mundane stuff while i played pickleball .
Haha, indeed. Sans pickleball. I'd rather have my own bowling alley and bowl with a few friends. :9:

I think where it makes a bigger difference is if there's an accident, like if someone breaks a leg or is knocked unconscious, then having someone there to help would make a difference. You don't have to be married though. If you have a roommate or someone you connect with frequently that helps.

Marriage certainly isn't for everyone. Nothing at all wrong with being single. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Kinda like a lot of things in life.

Fwiw, the person who ran an errand for him left and returned 2 hour later. That's a long arse errand.
Have you ever had to drive around LA? Everywhere takes an hour - even on weekends without the “rush hour” traffic. I despise LA and its traffic. One weekend it took me 55 mins to drive 11 miles. That’s just how it is.

Have you ever had to drive around LA? Everywhere takes an hour - even on weekends without the “rush hour” traffic. I despise LA and its traffic. On a weekend it took 55 mins to drive 11 miles. That’s just how it is.
Yeah, true. Depends a lot on location. I've been to LA a few times and some locations have everything you'd need pretty close by, and others, not so much.

If you gotta go several miles somewhere, no doubt that would eat up a lot of time in traffic there. Same issues here in metro DC. The difference between LA and DC is LA has way more sprawl. I couldn't live in LA. Too much driving and traffic. DC, I just take the metro when I got to work.

Have you ever had to drive around LA? Everywhere takes an hour - even on weekends without the “rush hour” traffic. I despise LA and its traffic. One weekend it took me 55 mins to drive 11 miles. That’s just how it is.

The key to living in L.A. , as i did when i was much younger- is similar to living in any big city- you just sorta find ur bubble and stay there as often as you can.. when i first moved there i lived close to Hollywood and rarely ventured too far out of that area.. later, i lived in Marina del Rey- that was a little trickier since a lot of times id have to work in Hollywood or the Valley- but you find alternative routes (looking at you Venice Blvd) and you try to time things out .. this was before GPS was in heavy usage , so i imagine it’d be a little easier now .. but when not working, i rarely ventured east of the 405, everything i could ever need was in MDR, Venice or Santa Monica… the only real downside was seeing some of my friends- most of them were broke and struggling like i was, so they lived a good 45 min to 1 hr drive from where i lived (i had a sweet deal on a small studio without a kitchen or AC about a half mile from the ocean) so it took a lot of effort and planning to get together - but we did it, and some of those people are still my best friends to this day .

Last edited:
The key to living in L.A. , as i did when i was much younger- is similar to living in any big city- you just sorta find ur bubble and stay there as often as you can.. when i first moved there i lived close to Hollywood and rarely ventured too far out of that area.. later, i lived in Marina del Rey- that was a little trickier since a lot of times id have to work in Hollywood or the Valley- but you find alternative routes (looking at you Venice Blvd) and you try to time things out .. this was before GPS was in heavy usage , so i imagine it’d be a little easier now .. but when not working, i rarely ventured east of the 405, everything i could ever need was in MDR, Venice or Santa Monica… the only real downside was seeing some of my friends- most of them were broke and struggling like i was, so they lived a good 45 min to 1 hr drive from where i lived (i had a sweet deal on a small studio without a kitchen or AC about a half mile from the ocean) so it took a lot of effort and planning to get together - but we did it, and some of those people are still my best friends to this day .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom