Gentoo - My stab at the great beyond (1 Viewer)

The packaging system will pull in all of its dependencies, so if you want to run Gnome, you can emerge that and it will grab X and all it encompasses. By placing the keyword for NVidia in your use flags, it should grab that and compile that too for you.

In the gnome howto, it says to add the following line to /etc/make.conf
USE="-qt3 -qt4 -arts -kde gtk gnome hal avahi"

Is that the line I'd use to include nvidia?

You want the word nvidia in the USE section for nvidia support.
One way to find out what an application will support is to use the "-pv" flags in emerge.
"-p" tells you what it will do, but wont do anything (dry run). "-v" returns the variables (and other relevant info) that package will accept.

Example, run this:
Code:
emerge xorg-x11 -pv
The results it returns will tell you all of the USE option available for xorg. Quite a bit, eh? Also pay attention to the INPUT="" parts.

Knowing how to use you USE flags and fully understanding the /etc/make.conf file is critical in Gentoo.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags

Once again, I highly recommend using either ufed or euse (gentoolkit) to make global USE flag settings. If you go and set USE flag settings individually for certain apps (USE="xxxxx" emerge your_app), then when you make global updates, things can get weird. The USE flags will NOT carry over unless they are permanently in your make.conf file.

I found something in the gnome howto that said to add VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" to the make.conf. I started the gnome compile last night and it stopped at one point and said I needed to add X flag to USE. So I added it to the make.conf line that was already there and ran emerge gnome again. It was still running when I left for work, so I'll see how it did in a couple of hours.

I did run that command with -pv, but so much info scrolls by. Is there some way I can make the screen scroll up so I can read it?

I found something in the gnome howto that said to add VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" to the make.conf. I started the gnome compile last night and it stopped at one point and said I needed to add X flag to USE. So I added it to the make.conf line that was already there and ran emerge gnome again. It was still running when I left for work, so I'll see how it did in a couple of hours.

I did run that command with -pv, but so much info scrolls by. Is there some way I can make the screen scroll up so I can read it?
You can add a:
Code:
| less
to the end of the line

OR

once it all scrolls by,
SHIFT + Page Up/Page Down

Also,
When in terminal mode, compiling framebuffer support (vesa is fine) and adding vga=792 in you grub file will give you a nice hi-res terminal.
more info:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/5740975165

even prettier:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=49036

New error;

Error: net-misc/vino-2.16.0-r1 failes
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1631: called dyn.setup
ebuild.sh, line 703: called qa_call 'pkg_setup"
ebuild.sh, line 44: called pkg_setup

!!! Please rebuild net-dns/avahi with USE=dbus

Ok, had to add dbus to the USE and re-emerge avahi. Back to compiling gnome. Down to 41 files.

This is my first post using gentoo. Got gnome, x, and the nvidia installed finally.

Woo hoo!

About emerge, is there a list of the different packages I can install? I was able to install firestarter by running "emerge firestarter", but I can't install Thunderbird that way, unless it goes by something different.

BTW, I also found out that my kernel doesn't support iptables.

About emerge, is there a list of the different packages I can install? I was able to install firestarter by running "emerge firestarter", but I can't install Thunderbird that way, unless it goes by something different.

BTW, I also found out that my kernel doesn't support iptables.

Nevermind, found it

packages.gentoo.org

Ok, here's one I haven't been able to figure out;
emerge tovid
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: net-print/gqueue-0.99.1
Calculating dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "tovid" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- media-video/tovid-0.30-r2 (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- media-video/tovid-0.30-r1 (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)
- media-video/tovid-0.30 (masked by: ~amd64 keyword)

How do I make it so I can install this?

Are you running on a 64-bit machine, with the 64-bit build of Gentoo?

As for masked packages, you place something in /etc/portage/packages.keywords now.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Masked should help explain it better.

Yes on both.

I did get it installed finally, but now I'm having problems running it.

Buickman, can you post you /etc/make.conf file?

When unmasking packages, it can really start getting fun!
Make SURE to use the 'emerge package_name -pv' option before the install.
There are many times, depending on the package, that unmasking one package can introduce you to the devil himself. :naughty:

What really gets fun is if your using the stable tree (not ~amd64) and the unmasked package may want to upgrade other system or application dependent libraries. Usually unmasking applications is not such a problem, usually I say. Unmasking system applications/libraries OTOH! ............................ buckle your seatbelt!
:a_hit:

Read the link that llamakc posted and learn it well. It's a good one. This is one area where you can really bork your system. Been there, done that a few times.

Yes on both.

I did get it installed finally, but now I'm having problems running it.
There are 3 tools that are wonderful at hunting down problems.
1) gdb (GNU debugger)
2) strace (traces system calls related to the app)
3) ltrace (traces the library calls like above)

GDB may be able to point out the problem by itself, it not strace probably will.

You may have to emerge gdb, strace, and ltrace. GDB may already be there as a gcc dependency.

Good reading for performing system traces:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-unix-strace.html

FYI, sometimes you may have to enter the full pathname of the app instead of just the app name.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom