HC Prospect - Texans OC Bobby Slowik (1 Viewer)

TenTwo

local shortstop
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
His name has been brought up in threads and discussions about the next young OC/HC. His offense is performing at a high level under rookie CJ Stroud, and the Texans are ascending. In particular, the Texans WR core has gone from good to great. Slowik player WR in college so at a minimum, hiring him will maximize our WR talent.

Before his current stint with the Texans, Slowik was an offensive assistant at the 49ers and Redskins. Yup, the famous Shanahan coaching tree. He will be getting interviews this offseason.

His name may be familiar to you as his dad was a defensive coordinator for several different NFL teams. He has the pedigree.

If you are compiling a list of 3-5 head coach candidates who you want to bring in and look at, I think you add him to the list along with Beinemy, Ben Johnson and Frank Smith.

I really like Slowick as a candidate. My biggest concern is that he's going to have better choices than us. If Chicago likes him he can just go there and have his choice of the young QBs in this draft. Or he can stay in Houston and continue to build his resume with a young star until the right opportunity opens up. Either of those sounds better than being tied to Carr, who will be here next year. So he's taking a chance with Carr and a maybe a rookie if the Front Office feels like drafting one. They might stubbornly stick by the idea that they paid top dollar for a QB and not want to use their 1st pick for that.

Unfortunately, we really aren't an attractive destination for a popular head coaching candidate. Maybe I'm overestimating Slowick as a candidate, but I think he's going to have a lot of options in the offseason.

I really like Slowick as a candidate. My biggest concern is that he's going to have better choices than us. If Chicago likes him he can just go there and have his choice of the young QBs in this draft. Or he can stay in Houston and continue to build his resume with a young star until the right opportunity opens up. Either of those sounds better than being tied to Carr, who will be here next year. So he's taking a chance with Carr and a maybe a rookie if the Front Office feels like drafting one. They might stubbornly stick by the idea that they paid top dollar for a QB and not want to use their 1st pick for that.

Unfortunately, we really aren't an attractive destination for a popular head coaching candidate. Maybe I'm overestimating Slowick as a candidate, but I think he's going to have a lot of options in the offseason.
I think you are underestimating us as a job. Not that far removed from prolific offense. Still have talent on the roster. Hands off owner. Passionate fanbase. What's not to like. Sure there's the salary cap problems, but what's life without a little challenge?

Not even a full yr as an OC and you want him as HC SMH. AND he was not even an OC in SF under a HC that called all the plays. Man you're quick to anoint someone as a great candidate to be our HC

Not even a full yr as an OC and you want him as HC SMH. AND he was not even an OC in SF under a HC that called all the plays. Man you're quick to anoint someone as a great candidate to be our HC
It's about finding the right guy and not how long he's been OC. Anyone outside of a former HC comes with questions. Jim Harbough was a special teams coach and Mike Tomlin was a DB coach in Tampa.

I was about to start a thread about him until I saw yours. There’s just something about this guy that I like and I want to see him as HC next season for the Saints.

He has played an important role in the instant development of CJ Stroud and if the Saints were to draft a QB round 1, well he has experience in coaching a high QB draft pick.

The Texans rank 6th in total offense at 375 yards per game and 10th in points

The saints are not going to be attractive to the top candidates.

It would be like a newly divorced man goes out with an obese woman, 4 kids, 4 different dads, bad credit, cant cook, wont clean, and needs a place to stay.

Found an interview, cliff notes:

Talked about always wanted to “push forward on offense” basically always build off the last play, never let up on offense

Develop of CJ

Also it’s “players over play”

His name has been brought up in threads and discussions about the next young OC/HC. His offense is performing at a high level under rookie CJ Stroud, and the Texans are ascending. In particular, the Texans WR core has gone from good to great. Slowik player WR in college so at a minimum, hiring him will maximize our WR talent.

Before his current stint with the Texans, Slowik was an offensive assistant at the 49ers and Redskins. Yup, the famous Shanahan coaching tree. He will be getting interviews this offseason.

His name may be familiar to you as his dad was a defensive coordinator for several different NFL teams. He has the pedigree.

If you are compiling a list of 3-5 head coach candidates who you want to bring in and look at, I think you add him to the list along with Beinemy, Ben Johnson and Frank Smith.

It’s so much easier for a coach when you have elite players doing their job. Show me the OC/DC/HC that is getting a ton of work with a garbage roster, then you’ll have my attention. I’m not saying your guy isn’t “the guy” I’m just saying it’s hard to know when he’s coaching elite players.

It’s so much easier for a coach when you have elite players doing their job. Show me the OC/DC/HC that is getting a ton of work with a garbage roster, then you’ll have my attention. I’m not saying your guy isn’t “the guy” I’m just saying it’s hard to know when he’s coaching elite players.
Not my guy...just sharing info on a name that has been floated...but to touch on your point, who on this offense was elite prior to this season?

It's about finding the right guy and not how long he's been OC. Anyone outside of a former HC comes with questions. Jim Harbough was a special teams coach and Mike Tomlin was a DB coach in Tampa.
Man you need to do your research better . Harbaugh was a HC at Stanford for 4 yrs before he went to SF. And Tomlin was DC for the Vikings before he went to the Steelers . Yeah it's about finding the right guy but you can't tell if he WILL be the right guy until you see him succeed at a OC or DC position of having control of one side of the ball for at least 1 season , 2 or more is better. AND being in control of those position not being an OC in name only

Man you need to do your research better . Harbaugh was a HC at Stanford for 4 yrs before he went to SF. And Tomlin was DC for the Vikings before he went to the Steelers . Yeah it's about finding the right guy but you can't tell if he WILL be the right guy until you see him succeed at a OC or DC position of having control of one side of the ball for at least 1 season , 2 or more is better. AND being in control of those position not being an OC in name only
I'm talking about the other Harbough( I got their first names mixed up), the one in Baltimore. Although, I did overlook Tomlin being with the Vikes, which he only did for a year before going to Pitt by the way.
So my point stands: maybe you need to do your research better. :cool:

The Saints spend money. The ownership gives the front office and coaching staff room, and has their backs. The fan base is rabid. Players generally like playing here (under Dennis Allen, maybe less so).

This would be an attractive job for anyone. Most coaching vacancies exist because teams suck. We don’t suck. We have some decent talent, but some big holes. The O-Line is underperforming, but not without solid talent. Penning could easily turn it around next year and contribute. We have the best stable of CBs in the league. We have great skill players.

Things aren’t great for the Saints, and the biggest problem is that we’re tied to Carr for another year at least. But of 32 coaching jobs total, with all of the best opportunities being taken (except maybe the LA Chargers if they fire their coach), we’re a very attractive landing spot.

I'm talking about the other Harbough( I got their first names mixed up), the one in Baltimore. Although, I did overlook Tomlin being with the Vikes, which he only did for a year before going to Pitt by the way.
So my point stands: maybe you need to do your research better. :cool:
LOL I can only do research on the name you mentioned. Yeah John Harbaugh was not a OC or DC before he got the HC job he was special teams coordinator and was promoted to DB coach. But that's an anomalyThe point is it's way too early to tout Slowick as a prime HC candidate 12 games into his 1st yr as an OC and all just because a rookie QB is playing well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom