Hollis Thomas in 2007 (1 Viewer)

peytonknows

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that I have watched this game again for the 4th time. There are a lot of observations that I have. However, I will keep this short.

The last time that I watched the game I specifically keyed in on Hollis Thomas. I just want to say that he is a huge part of defense. You can say what you want and pile on with all of the idiots and say "he's fat", "lazy", "doesn't want to earn his paycheck" etc...

Whatever you would like to say is fine. But if you go back and watch film and watch Hollis Thomas you will see that when he is in the game he makes a huge difference. I think this is going to help us out a great deal this year. In the Colts game he was constantly double teamed yet he still made plays. For a big guy he moves well, and he doesn't quit on the plays. The only regret I have about Thomas is I wish he was about 6 years younger so that he could sign a longer contract.

On a related note....

I have been supportive of Simoneau but I also watched him throughout much of the game. I am sorry but it is time to see Simmons on the field more if he is healthy. The whole thing about him being like a coach on the field and being in position is about 50/50. True that he is normally in position, but against the Colts he simply did not make the plays. He really looked bad last night. It was probably the worst that I have seen him in a Saints uniform. Missing tackles, trying to arm tackle and getting ran over, not shedding blockers at all and many other mistakes I noted. I am normally not the type to write someone off after one bad performance and jump off a bridge with an irrational post. But honestly he is just not going to help us throughout the year facing the schedule that we have.

I just wanted to put this up real quick. I will come back tomorrow with more detailed information.

I was surprised with Thomas's play as well...

I'm suprised you watched it 4 times.

I'm suprised you watched it 4 times.

It's pretty tough. But with DVR it's not that bad because I can fast forward through commercials and half time. It's pretty tough to sit through though.

I didn't watch it nearly as extensively as you, but I noticed that Hollis was our best player against the run by far.

This is a great thread, Thanks Peytonknows for finding something good about last night's game. And your measured response to Simoneau's shortcomings. It's nice to see rational thought return to the board. This was as tough a loss as we've had to stomach in a long time.

Great post, peytonknows. I've only watched the game twice, but I agree with you. Hollis did play well... And I also agree with you about Mark.

He was never intended to be a permanent upgade for us at MLB, but last year, he was better than anything else we had there. He wasn't a backup in Philly because they didn't like him.

He's a smart guy and should be in there on obvious passing downs, but he's very weak against the run.

I hope Simmons gets up to speed quickly. We need him.

Arizon dropped Buster Davis, should look into this kid?

I met Hollis Thomas yesterday, on a semi-related note. He is a friendly, funny guy.

I share your views on his play during the game. I believe he will be starting next week, as will Bryan Young.

I met Hollis Thomas yesterday, on a semi-related note. He is a friendly, funny guy.

I share your views on his play during the game. I believe he will be starting next week, as will Bryan Young.

I bet he's already put this game behind him, and he probably told you that.

No matter what the score was, it only counts as ONE loss. It's a non conference game, a non divisional game, and there a 15 to go. The Tampa game has far more important implications... Time to move on.

I bet he's already put this game behind him, and he probably told you that.

No matter what the score was, it only counts as ONE loss. It's a non conference game, a non divisional game, and there a 15 to go. The Tampa game has far more important implications... Time to move on.

Honestly, I didn't bring up the game. Didn't want to pour salt on a wound, you know? All I asked him is if Coach P was pretty angry afterward. "Well, he wasn't singing songs." That, a wink, and a smile was his response.

Arizon dropped Buster Davis, should look into this kid?

Your answer:

Lions | Trying to revive Davis' career
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 1742 -0700

Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said the team is looking to revive the career of rookie LB Buster Davis, who the team recently added. He noted the team wants to have Davis down in to 230 pounds.

Peytonknows, that is one of the first things that stood out to me while watching the game live. I made a couple comments in the game day threat regarding Hollis coming in and the run stopping. I have also made a couple comments about Hollis eating his fat contract.

The reason I am mad is not because he is so fat he can't play but because he came in so overweight that it is taking away from the team because he is not on the field nearly as much as he normally would be. The guy has an obligation to the coaches, front office, fans and the other 52 men on the roster to show up in to camp in top form. He did not and still is not at his playing weight.

I agree. I only saw it live once (plenty for me, thank you), but I saw Hollis in on many plays. Besides actually making the tackle several times, he also clogged the middle a lot, only to have Shanle and Simoneau miss Addai coming through the gap. Hollis and Fujita played well. Will Smith played well, just too aggressively, often blowing right by the play in his efforts to school Ugoh (I put this to smart offensive planning on the Colts' part). It's bizarre, because in truth, he outplayed Ugoh, yet at the end of the game, it appears that Ugoh got the better of him (really it was the Colts coaching staff that got the better of him) because of his lack of actual tackles and sacks. Despite slamming Peyton to the ground several times, he was always just too late to land the sack.

On offense, EJ had himself a great game. He blocked well, caught the ball well, and fought like mad for everything. He's not going to make tons of yards after the catch, but he's going to grab a lot of passes for needed yards. Can't say much for anyone else, but I think Deuce would have been a much larger factor had Coach Payton stuck to ramming him up the middle in the second half of the game. I know several have decried the O line's blocking, but I believe the staff gave up way too early on the old "pound 'em 'til they're dust" plan.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom