Hot Seat Coaches - GW related (1 Viewer)

Some owners are taking the position that they don't want to hire anyone that requires big pay With the next season teetering on a lockout

If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to hire world class material.

IF we lose GW, then I'd like to see the following as potential DCs:

John Fox
Wade Phillips (Flame suit on)
Jim Tomsula
Marvin Lewis
Jack Del Rio

I know there are a lot of former head coaches in that list, that may be hard to convince to go back to being a DC, but it seems to be successful when these guys go backwards after running a team. I'm hoping one of them does it for us, just to make another SuperBowl run.

My Choice is to Keep GW but if that fails I would say Fox or Lewis might work....

I can't see GW going anywhere that they a have a subpar QB. Houston would be a good fit for him though...maybe the Niners (but once again the QB issue...but I think he would love the defense).

IF we lose GW, then I'd like to see the following as potential DCs:

John Fox
Wade Phillips (Flame suit on)
Jim Tomsula
Marvin Lewis
Jack Del Rio

I know there are a lot of former head coaches in that list, that may be hard to convince to go back to being a DC, but it seems to be successful when these guys go backwards after running a team. I'm hoping one of them does it for us, just to make another SuperBowl run.

Wade Phillips is a very good DC, no flaming. But he does run a 3-4, and I'd rather not go through a schematic shift.

I think owners are worried about a lockout. If the teams get locked out, new coaches might not meet their new players until a week or two before their first regular season game. That is a good reason to retain a coach one more year.

My guess is that Williams stays another year because the job openings are not a good fit. Tennessee is a possibility for several reasons, but the reason for any opening--Fisher leaving because of Vince Young--is the reason that Williams may pass on the job.

I recall GW was quoted before as saying he wouldn't take a job unless the QB was established and in place. That would make Houston and Denver viable destinations. The Bengals could be argued in the equation there. I remember him also saying that he wouldn't take a job where the chances for pretty quick results are slim. Why should he, he is in a great, well paid job where he is given a lot of freedom and already has a ring from it.

In fact, in searching for that quote, I found this two page thread on GW as a head coach on the Denver boards from after yesterday's game
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?p=3607127
Denver is settled at QB? Tebow started the last 2 games. We may have different definitions of established QB.
Kubiak is staying in Houston it was announced.

Garret is nowhere near 100% - did you hear Jones' comments Saturday night?

Coughlin is also nowhere near 100% of they miss the playoffs. Not even close.

Coughlin is returning, at least for one year. Frasier is also going to be the Vikings coach. I think Garrett returns as well.

GW said on Sirius last night," That if he would have drafted Drew Brees in Buffalo. He would be freezing his *** off right now in upstate NY".

If GW was a younger guy who never had a HC job, he may consider leaving. But I think he's happy in NO, he loves that he has an offense that lets his defense be aggressive and can score a lot of points. He doesn't want to go to a team that doesn't have a good offense, plus he's not an O guy, so he'd be doubly screwed. He's the Ying to Payton's Yang.

Coughlin is returning, at least for one year. Frasier is also going to be the Vikings coach. I think Garrett returns as well.

Right, the date of that post was 12-28, and I was just saying, at that time, that I would not consider either guy 100% to return. That being said, it looks like they both will, I agree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom