How comfortable are we with Jamie Martin? (1 Viewer)

I am comfortable knowing that Coach Payton will gameplan and cater to his strengths--so yes, I think this team can still win ball games with Martin.

He's the run of the mill back-up who just needs to manage the game and not make too many mistakes which will hurt the team; I think Payton will make sure that he's effective in that regard.

brees is playing like an MVP candidate so losing him would be huge. that being said, i think we have a very solid backup.

i think he'd do just fine...but if he does have to play be prepared for the arm strength threads. lol

Brees is fine, I just finished my second purple chicken dance of the day to ward off jinxes. Hope nobody else brings this up again, or I'l have to go the old standby red chicken (falcon) dance which wouldn't be as effective this week.

You never want an effective starting quarterback to be out of action for an extended period of time. If Brees missed significant time, I would be comfortable with Martin as a caretaker until Brees was healthy enough to start again. IMO, the ideal QB situation is to have a reliable, study, franchise-type QB as your starter, a competent career backup kind of guy and a young developmental guy who will one day force you into a decision to either play him or trade him.

Let me just say this, if Drew went down Sunday, and Jamie Martin was the QB for the rest of the year, I don't think he would lead us to the playoffs.

The good news is
If Drew were to go down
and Martin DID lead us to the playoffs
and a playoff victory
Drew would be the starter next year.

Thanks Coach.

Mikeeeeee

How many other teams backups would you rather have?

Kansas City - Damon Huard
Pittsburgh - Charlie Batch
Atlanta - Matt Schaub
Chicago - Brian Griese
Dallas - Drew Bledsoe (now that he is the backup)
San Francisco - Trent Dilfer
St. Louis - Gus Ferotte

Besides the teams like Denver that have young high round draft picks backing up starters, how many NFL backups would you choose over Martin? He is expierenced, has a long track record and has "good" numbers givin his lack of real playing time.

I am much more comfortable than in past years, especially having to watch Bouman at the end of last year.

Think of this way, Brooks was capable of getting us 8-8 and knocking at the playoff wildcard, with his mistakes or oline not protecting, he was fine with fontenot....
I think that everyone fairly confident that J. Martin is better than Brooks... so would still be a winning season.
SO, no he isn't brees, but should be good enough to take care of the spot for a while.
He is lightyears ahead of we'll lose if he ever plays Bouman.

Who can afford to lose their starting QB?
For this team, under this coach, you just need to not lose games!

I'm comfortable...a lot more comfortable than having Bouman, or Senica Wallace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom