How do you see the first two games of the Saints’ season? (1 Viewer)

Were the Saints first two wins ‘flukes’, or were they legitimate wins?

• They were absolutely flukes. Those teams were clearly better than the Saints.

• They were definitely legitimate victories. Those teams were totally outplayed.

• Tacoes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even before Carr got hurt (and after the OL and Taysom injuries), this team should have been 4-0 if it weren't for the defense completely blowing the final few minutes and losing by a point or two.

If you take away the OL injuries this team very well may have put up 40+ points in every game this season.

So no, it's not a fluke. Just a bad injury luck.

Basically, it is a poorly constructed roster (I picked that up from Outside the Lines podcast) at this point in the season it is most likely that any quality player will not be out there. Anything we get from here on out are stop gap JAG's.
We did not have the draft capital or salary cap to add to all the positions of need, whether that be a quality starter or depth piece, we pieced together the offensive line and that was the first position that depth concerns reared it's ugly head.

First two games we had the advantage of being a completely "new offense" with no tendencies on film yet. After week two Eagles found a weakness and exploited it, exploiting it caused McCoy to get injured trying to defend the exploit. The play he got hurt on Jalen Carter shot the gap, and that made McCoy twist in a manner he wasn't prepared for. The dominos fell after that... but we weren't exposed until Carr went down and we stuck a QB that was woefully unprepared to deal with blitzes in the NFL behind a line that has barely practiced together.

First two, It showed we can demolish weak teams. The next two games showed we could hang with contenders. Even the KC game we didn't get completely blown out. Then when Carr went down the wheels fell off because the rookie can't read the blitz and we stuck him in with no protection. So if we can just somehow win against the Chargers... the season is not over yet.

What this team could be fully healthy. How thin this team is. The price of being reserved in the offseason.

That's my view of it. Yeah DA isn't amazing, Carr isn't amazing, etc, etc. That's the story of the season for me so far though. Fans wanted them to take a step back, they got it and this is what happens when you quit pushing every year.

Heck , even after the injuries in the next 2 games we had the lead with 2min or under and 3 DB's run into each other and a DPI and we would have been 4-0 going into KC. It just showed me that things did not have to be perfect for us to be a very good team. SMH

Exactly and where DA catches all the blame, it's impossible to win in this league with 7 or 8 offensive starters out.

It's simply not possible. Whatever happened to the defense, however, is inexcusable.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
Of course it does… but those first two teams were still trash. It was a very enjoyable mirage nothing more nothing less.

The other thing it does point to, is that to have any kind of success in the NFL of today you have to have a team depth better then that of a small puddle, and a coach that has the ability to get the best out of his players. We are seriously deficient in both categories.

You can't carry enough depth in the NFL to make up for the loss of 70% of your payroll.

I see them as the best case scenario for this roster. We played one bad team and one very average team, fully healthy, with a brand new offense there wasn’t tape on. Regardless of injuries I believe we would have come back down to earth. Not to where we are now, but a solid 7-10 to 9-8 team. With the injuries, this team never had a chance.

Saw a version of how we want this offense to perform.... however Panthers and Dallas now have the tie breaker for the higher draft pick now.... injuries and coaching just killed our momentum.... I see no way we get it back and almost don't want too if it means DA/Loomis or out after this season

This isn't complicated. When healthy, this is a 10-11 win team. When absolutely decimated by injuries this is a 3 win team.
Personally I think we get to 7 wins because we have some BAD teams left on our schedule and we will get a little help back. It MAY be enough to force a coaching change --- but I am not banking on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom