'Hunger Games' Cast Subjected to Racist Attacks in Shocking Tweets (1 Viewer)

WhoDat9to12

DREW DAT
Reaction score
Actors Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi definitely hit it big when they landed the roles of Rue and Thresh, respectively, in "The Hunger Games."

But the relative unknowns playing tributes from District 11 in the dystopian
saga (which scored a historic $155 million its opening weekend and rave reviews) are the subject of an offensive debate among a few, totally clueless fans of Suzanne Collins' blockbuster young adult novel, as pointed out at Jezebel.

Why? Although both Rue and Thresh are described as having "dark brown skin" in the book, some bigoted fans, oddly enough, object that both Stenberg and Okeniyi are black.

Complained one fan on Twitter: "Why does rue have to be black not gonna lie kinda ruined the movie."
Added another ignorant fan: "Why did the producer make all the good characters black?"

"Why is Rue a little black girl? Stick to the book, dude," said another.

In something of a spoiler tweet, another fan admitted he was "racist" when he learned of tragic Rue's racial identity.

My date this weekend was actually super into the books and thus was dying to see the movies. I was super into her frontal sphericals of enchanted proportions, so you can do the math...

I didn't have any racist moments while watching the movie. Although I did have one moment of a question cause I'm not familiar with who is from where or whatever. One of the lone black guys was all upset that this white girl killed the other lone little black girl, so he killed her instead of this other girl he had spent trying to kill for a majority of the movie. I'm not sure if it's just cause they were black or if they were from the same district or what. Other than that, race really wasn't an issue here from what I can tell. People are just hypersensitive and will see it anywhere they look.

I guess you can get upset about the token black people being used, but everyone does it. Shoot, when "The Game" moved over to BET, they just straight up got rid of the lone white girl on that show. Do I care? Only as much because I admired her frontal sphericals too. Rarely does the token black guy ever really fit in well with the cast of all white people, but I thought they pulled it off quite nicely in scrubs. That was great casting! That seemed more natural than forced. If they can integrate them that seemlessly without detracting from the story, then I think it's wonderful to have an integrated cast like that. But no one actor should unbalance the group's dynamic regardless of either race status.

I don't think unbalance happened in the Hunger Games though. It was more they just glossed over all of the other candidates character development and mainly focused on the babe and her man crushes. Gee, I wonder who was going to win this war game, eh? *yawn* So basically all the other characters were a little awkward and not really integrated into the group dynamic beyond their two minutes of fame prior to death.

Black people are always getting the best roles in movies. It's just not fair. When are we white people finally going to get a break?

My date this weekend was actually super into the books and thus was dying to see the movies. I was super into her frontal sphericals of enchanted proportions, so you can do the math...

I think I should keep my man card as a result of trying to motorboat the glowing spheres of oh hell yessss.

*Sigh the things we have to do for girls.*

ok macho man, we get it-- it's ok for you to admit that you saw the movie and weigh in with your opinion of it since your real motive was only to get some skank naked so you could check out her ****... Overcompensate much??

ok macho man, we get it-- it's ok for you to admit that you saw the movie and weigh in with your opinion of it since your real motive was only to get some skank naked so you could check out her ****...

You got a better reason?

I read the books and saw the movie. Anyone who read the books and didn't picture them black has a low reading comprehension. As for the movie, that's exactly how they were described. And they were good.

If they can integrate black people seemlessly without detracting from the story, then I think it's wonderful

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNiAOSKFNR4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Not a racist moment, but I remember watching The Planet of the Apes at the theater. I remember like it happened an hour ago, when Mark Wahlberg kissed the monkey some guy behind me saying "what the ****? Ah hell no!" and proceeded to get up and leave. During that entire horrible movie that was the part that set him off. A lot of people left during the movie, but I stayed holding out hope that it would get better, but I never had the breaking point that the gentelman behind me had.

racist ppl on all sides, if this is all they did or said it's pretty mild in comparison to what some will do or say (especially from the safety of their computer).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom