I have a family because we lost to the 49ers in 2012 (1 Viewer)

Section41

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This loss hurts, no doubt, as did the loss to the 49ers in January 2012. I’m sure most of you remember that game. At the time, I was devastated that we lost. In retrospect, I thank all that is holy that we didn’t win.

If you remember, our 2011 team was a guggernaut that, had they beaten the underdog 49ers, would have been favorites to make, if not win, the Super Bowl. Because the Giants won their divisional round game, the Saints would have hosted the NFC Championship Game. The Saints had destroyed that same Giants team at home earlier in the season. Being the son of a season ticket holder, it’s a lock that I would have gone to the game with my parents and brothers.

But it was not to be. The game was in San Francisco. My family didn’t come into town that weekend. I didn’t even watch the game.

Instead, I went out that very Saturday night with my friends, which I certainly would not have done if my family were in town. And while out that night, I met my wife. She and I had no common friends, no places we both frequented. It was a chance meeting that would have been nearly impossible to occur at any other time.

I’m now married with both 4 year-old and 2-year old Saints fans.

And it wouldn’t have happened if we had beaten the 49ers. By cheering for the Saints in that game, I was cheering against my own future.

Hopefully my story can ease some of the raw nerves out there.

Attachments

• 26249113-72E0-4330-A211-FCC0E9E9591E.jpg
    26249113-72E0-4330-A211-FCC0E9E9591E.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
This loss hurts, no doubt, but so did the loss to the 49ers in January 2012. Boy am I glad in retrospect that we lost that game.

We had an incredible team that was well on its way to winning the Super Bowl. And because the Giants won, the Saints would have hosted the NFC Championship game. Being the son of a season ticket holder, I would have gone to the game with my parents and brothers.

But it was not to be. The game was in San Francisco. My family didn’t come into town that weekend.

Instead I went out that very Saturday night with my friends, which I certainly would not have done if my family were in town. And while out that night, I met my wife.

I now have a wife and both 4 year-old and 2-year old Saints fans.

And it wouldn’t have happened if we had beaten the 49ers. By cheering for the Saints in the game, I was cheering against my own future.

Hopefully my story can ease some of the raw nerves out there.

I was debating on which loss was worse this or the SF game. That game was the most helpless because we couldn't stop Alex freakin' Smith. This loss was just shocking. Congrats on life. It turned out well for you.

Wow.

That actually did kinda cheer me up. Emphasis on "kinda". Still, that's a great story.

Awesome, I hope you get lucky tonight as well...:mwink:

My six year old son, who isn't yet a diehard, asked me to pick him up and hug him. When I did, he looked me in the eyes and said "I'm sorry they didn't win, but I love you and I had fun throwing the football outside by the fire"

Suddenly, I don't feel so bad.

This one will sting for a while, no doubt...but in the end, we are all ok and got two extra weeks of football that seemed pretty improbable after our 0-2 start.

My middle son was conceived in the hours after that game. No joke.

It was the ultimate consolation prize.
I'm pretty sure you meant to type minutes. Or maybe tens of seconds. Either way, congrats on birth of your son. ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure you meant to type minutes. Or maybe tens of seconds. Either way, congrats on birth of your son. ;)

There were.....errrr.....how shall we say, multiple showtimes over the course of the night. Not sure which one "took." :hihi:

And they all came up and gave me hugs and said "sorry Daddy, I love you" and what beats that? Not a damn thing in the world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom