I miss ESPN NFL Primetime (1 Viewer)

Saint KayBee

In the 16%
Reaction score
I originally got into football by watching Saints games with my family. My big brother played football growing up, but I wasn’t allowed to (not for girls!), though I did play flag football briefly. However between family Sundays watching the Saints, going to my brother’s games, and then being able to play on the Nintendo, these outlets allowed me to enjoy the game.

However, I learned football from watching ESPN NFL Primetime. Primetime was a celebration of the game, and every game was featured regardless of team prestige or final score. I remember enjoying the replays where Tom Jackson would describe a pull block, or a smart read by a safety, or a great usage of play-action to draw the defense forward. Chris Berman’s catchphrases and player nicknames/puns off their names created entertainment and memorability for guys who may otherwise have remained obscure. They assigned Robin Roberts a lot of Patriots or Falcons games back when neither team was very good, but it was a space where she developed her skills at recalling sports action, and I got to see that there could be a place for women in football broadcasting.

There’s a lot of recap programming now, dare I say too much, but I feel like much of it is tilted to the prestige teams because discourse has devolved into “who can win the ringssssssss” more than actual enjoyment of the sport. Does anyone else occasionally fire up an old YouTube video of Primetime and reminisce on better times? I wish there was something I could do to bring this type of program back.

I miss SportsCenter, now its every talking head has his/her own talk show spewing their personal rhetoric about what they think a team or player needs to do and so much of sports is about players personal lives and finances....just give me the 3min highlight and move on to the next game.

Last edited:
I miss Primetime for sure. It was must watch TV for NFL fans of the 80s and 90s.

Two things that annoyed me with Primetime -

1. The logo graphic they had for the Saints always sported a gray facemask.

2. We always seemed to get Robin Roberts doing our highlights. So we didn’t get as much Bermanisms for the Saints.

I loved that show because they broke down game film and taught people about personnel packages, formations, defensive fronts, etc etc etc... I didn't realize they moved it over to ESPN+

I hear you and I definitely miss Tom Jackson, but personally I just can't stomach Berman's shtick any more. Multiple decades of lame nicknames and rumblin'-stumblin' was enough for me.

It was the greatest must-see show in the 80's and mid-90s, given that it was pre-internet time. It mainstreamed HBO's Inside the NFL, which was great in the early days. The earlier iterations were the Summerall-Brookshier-Facenda Saturday 'This is the NFL,' and Howard Cosell's Halftime Highlights on MNF. Glorious stuff.

But the real source and genius behind all of it was Ed and Steve Sabol, and NFL Films - again, giving us video highlights on TV

Click through to youtube. Nice 1976 Saints highlight at 4:15 in the Halftime Highlights video:

I miss Primetime for sure. It was must watch TV for NFL fans of the 80s and 90s.

Two things that annoyed me with Primetime -

1. The logo graphic they had for the Saints always sported a gray facemask.

2. We always seemed to get Robin Roberts doing our highlights. So we didn’t get as much Bermanisms for the Saints.
Well she was from the coast...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom