I think we've been doing it all wrong (Draft) (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Matt Mascona of AFR fame brought up something interesting in the video that was posted today (5/31) about what the 49ers Oline coach said about how they draft. I'll let you guys listen, and tell me if this is what we should have been doing.

The part of the segment starts at about the 10:40 mark.

Don’t think we’ve been doing it wrong, it was based on scheme and how we built those Saints offenses around Drew Brees.

The main argument I made in the Bowers thread was around how this scheme tends to de-emphasize putting high draft picks on o-line. It’s also why I suggested that they entertained that trade w/ the Rams. It suggested they were willing to not draft Bowers (didn’t meet prototype) and Fuaga (de-emphasis). It also lined up with Jeff Ireland just before the draft saying they weren’t going to force drafting a tackle.

Had they moved back to 20 they could have gotten more compensation and maybe still drafted a tackle but would have had ammo for a skill position guy in the 2nd round.

With the way WR’s are getting paid I’d absolutely draft those guys more often.

On the flip side this is why I suggested the Saints offense could have a pretty solid upside because it’s the only Shanahan/Kubiak scheme with a vast amount of highly drafted and young talent on the o-line.

First of all, the 49ers have lost their last 3 super bowls, 2 in the last 5 years and have not won a title since 1994. They also made a crazy trade up for Trey Lance and traded 4 picks over two years for McCaffrey.

They have generally drafted well, and I believe they have been a team that likes alot of draft picks every year, whereas the Saints do not.

I'm impressed by the way they frequently have multiple top linebackers. Warner and Greenlaw now, Bowman and Willis not too long ago.

They are just more aggressive moving personnel in and out of the organization. Garoppolo took them to a Super Bowl, but he choked so they ran him off a couple years after. They hit big on Purdy. Shanahan is another of the hyper offensive head coaches.

I just think what Moscona is saying there does not rise to the level of an interesting or relevant take.

First of all, the 49ers have lost their last 3 super bowls, 2 in the last 5 years and have not won a title since 1994. They also made a crazy trade up for Trey Lance and traded 4 picks over two years for McCaffrey.

They have generally drafted well, and I believe they have been a team that likes alot of draft picks every year, whereas the Saints do not.

I'm impressed by the way they frequently have multiple top linebackers. Warner and Greenlaw now, Bowman and Willis not too long ago.

They are just more aggressive moving personnel in and out of the organization. Garoppolo took them to a Super Bowl, but he choked so they ran him off a couple years after. They hit big on Purdy. Shanahan is another of the hyper offensive head coaches.

I just think what Moscona is saying there does not rise to the level of an interesting or relevant take.

Nothing Moscona says ever rises to the level of an interesting or relevant take. He just trolls for clicks and says whatever the thinks will get clicks.

Nothing Moscona says ever rises to the level of an interesting or relevant take. He just trolls for clicks and says whatever the thinks will get clicks.
He's too negative imo but I do appreciate that he offsets the sunshine pumpers.

For me the best in the biz is Mike T. I've not seen him sway too far to either extreme which I appreciate very much. If he leaves NOF I'll unsubscribe, that's how much I think of him.

As to San Fran and the OP, even tho they've lost the Bowls they've been in they're consistently great and consistently deep in the playoffs. They're doing something right.

Last edited:
He's too negative imo but I do appreciate that he offsets the sunshine pumpers.

For me the best in the biz is Mike T. I've not seen him sway too far to either extreme which I appreciate very much. If he leaves NOF I'll unsubscribe, that's how much I think of him.

As to San Fran and the OP, even tho they've lost the Bowls they've been in they're consistently great and consistently deep in the playoffs. They're doing something right.

The problem is that none of what he says is genuine. It's purely designed to manufacture controversy without expressing a valid opinions that he actually has. He's just looking for anything negative and magnifying it beyond all logic. It's nothing logical and nothing he actually believes in. "Sunshine pumpers", to the extent that even exists as a negative in a group of people who are supposed to be fans of a team, should be offset by logic and reality. Not by overly negative and illogical rants line Moscona does.

As far as San Fran. They are very good at talent evaluation which leads to being very good at drafting overall. The Saints haven't been great at drafting since 2017. They need to get better at it, there is nothing new or interesting about that. Still, I think they have done a better job in the last 3 years since Payton left with, of course, Penning as a huge exception to that unless he figures it out this year. Even then, he should not have been drafted that high.

The problem is that none of what he says is genuine. It's purely designed to manufacture controversy without expressing a valid opinions that he actually has. He's just looking for anything negative and magnifying it beyond all logic. It's nothing logical and nothing he actually believes in. "Sunshine pumpers", to the extent that even exists as a negative in a group of people who are supposed to be fans of a team, should be offset by logic and reality. Not by overly negative and illogical rants line Moscona does.

As far as San Fran. They are very good at talent evaluation which leads to being very good at drafting overall. The Saints haven't been great at drafting since 2017. They need to get better at it, there is nothing new or interesting about that. Still, I think they have done a better job in the last 3 years since Payton left with, of course, Penning as a huge exception to that unless he figures it out this year. Even then, he should not have been drafted that high.
Oh I wasn't defending him. Just stating that I'm equally unimpressed with either extreme side, whether it be the sunshine pumpers or the negative folks. I loathe extremes in general, whether it be about sports or other things. Just a personal opinion, to each their own. I know next to nothing about him as I could not care less about LSU and I think that's his gravy train. As I've said, for me Mike T is head and shoulders above the rest of what that market has to offer. Just another opinion.

I hate San Fran with a passion but they are very well coached and yep, they have a keen eye for talent it seems. The failed QB is the exception for them rather than the rule.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom