If we Made it Back to the SB and lost to Pats - would it be a Successful Season? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I think we will make it back to the SB whether we have HFA or the more likely road route. If we lost in a close SB game to the Pats, would you consider it a successful Saints year?

I say absolutely "yes." We will be in the SB hunt for at least the next 4-5 years, as long as Brees stays healthy. And the Saints are loaded elsewhere at most positions.

I would have to say that the Saints have had a successful season already - as unpopular as that opinion might be.

It's a successful Saints year already. We won the Super Bowl last season, and then went onto win 10+ plus games the following year. The rest is yet to be determined.

I agree that following up a SB winning season, with another double-digit winning season is pretty successful, especially with the parity in the league, and odds stacked against your team. Making the playoffs & getting to the SB again would be $$$$$.

Having said that, I know how I am, and while I would be estatic if the Saints got to the Big Game again, I'd be very upset if they lost.

We now know what it feels like to win one so getting back only to lose would be a huge letdown but, answering your question I think this has been a successful season so far. Now come on boys "TWO PEAT".:plus-un2:

I'd be ticked that we lost but it would also mean Atlanta got beat earlier in the playoffs so that would make me feel better.

Losing in the Superbowl is nothing to be ashamed of.

Successful season, yes. It would certainly establish us as a team of consistent excellence, a la the Colts and Pats.

However, that would be a steep, steep emotional and physical climb just for the team to fall short at the very end. History indicates a trend: Super Bowl losers have a tough time bouncing back. Football is just too taxing a sport, and the pain of losing runs too deep. The stakes really don't get any higher.

Plus, I really, really want Drew Brees to retire undefeated with multiple Super Bowls.

Right now I'm more worried about Atlanta winning a SB then being excited that we might win another one.

I do take comfort in the fact that New England will destroy ATL if the worst happens.

Yeah, I'm a glass half-empty person....

It's a successful Saints year already. We won the Super Bowl last season, and then went onto win 10+ plus games the following year. The rest is yet to be determined.

I vote successful... No shame in losing a Superbowl on the heals of winning one.... It amazes me that the Bills catch so much crap for 4 consecutive superbowl losses... It's crazy how people can spin things...

I feel it's about credibility... Some people were trying to say we were a fluke but getting back to the playoffs and getting back to the superbowl, even if it was a loss, would solidify credibility...

I felt like the Vikes game, the season opener, was a huge credibility game because so many were saying we shouldn't have beat them....

I simply don't want to be considered a one hit wonder team like the Cards were a few years back... I want to look back and hear others reflect on this period of time when the Saints were perennial Superbowl contenders and were a great team of that era..

As long as it was the Falcons that we kicked the crap out of in the championship game.

I'd be ticked that we lost but it would also mean Atlanta got beat earlier in the playoffs so that would make me feel better.

Losing in the Superbowl is nothing to be ashamed of.

Unless you're the failcons. Of course, they're riddled with shame anyway, so..... ;)

I object to this question.

Let's not play these hypothetical games where we have to imagine crap like losing to the Pats in the Superbowl. If it happens, we'll talk about it then.

Stay focused. Stay positive. Finish strong!

Unless you're the failcons. Of course, they're riddled with shame anyway, so..... ;)

That is sooo funny you say that cuz I can already imagine the crap this board will give the Clowns if they get there and lose...

I was thinking last night how fortunate we are as Saints fans and how I hope we are all appreciating what we are seeing: a Super Bowl Champion team that has followed that up with at least 10 wins.

I remember a couple of years ago watching Carolina in the playoffs and feeling seriously jealous almost to the point of making me ill, wondering when will that be us. AND THEN WE DID IT!! Carolina got bounced out of the playoffs that year after being like a 1 or a 2 seed or something but we made it all of the way and won it.

You folks better enjoy this ride. It is truly special.

Look at the teams that had realistic high hopes but with losing records: Dallas, Cincinatti, San Fran, Houston, Cardinals, Raiders(?) and Washington. Look at teams that are winning but could be on a downward spiral: Green Bay, Colts(?), Jets etc...

It's hard to discuss the NFC West because even though all of those teams are losing, they all appear to be in the hunt sans the Cardinals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom