Injured bird...anything we can do? (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So my wife and son found this injured bird outside and we are not sure what to do. Tried calling animal control, but no luck getting a hold of them yet. Either has a broken leg or wing and it's not trying to fly. Any suggestions other than letting it fend for itself outside?

And no, I ain't gonna cook it. Lol.

20240619_195436.jpg

Try the nearest university with a vet school. I know LSU takes wild animals, but only between 8am - 8pm. Not sure about holidays.
That's a good thought.

That said, since it's 8 pm, this is gonna suck. Everything is closed, so we may not have a choice but to put it back outside and let nature run it's course.

Not trying to sound cold here, but there’s not much anyone can do for that injured bird. It’s admirable to hear about your desire to help it. I would feel the same. The bird probably won’t last long as it was probably injured after an encounter with another animal. But it’s the reality of nature taking its course. Left alone outside it will become fodder for other creatures.

I’m not a vet, but it looks to me like the injury sustained may be life threatening anyway. If not life threatening, it will likely not be able to feed itself which means the end for the bird is just a matter of time.

Some folks would hasten to put the bird out of its misery. But I certainly would never try and tell anyone what to do in that regard. 😢

Try a vet clinic? They usually work with rescues

I know this because about 3 weeks ago, while fishing, I ended up with a whistling duck duckling. A bass had struck a group of 4 and took one under. As I ran over, she popped back up and frantically made her way to the bank. But the parents had moved on further along with remaining 3 and I couldn't leave her there. Had a bit of damage to leg where the bass had grabbed hold. Took to a local vet who took her, no charge, to keep over day or so, then they would bring back to same location for mom n dad to find.

They called to say they were able to find the pond and parents and reunite them.

Not trying to sound cold here, but there’s not much anyone can do for that injured bird. It’s admirable to hear about your desire to help it. I would feel the same. The bird probably won’t last long as it was probably injured after an encounter with another animal. But it’s the reality of nature taking its course. Left alone outside it will become fodder for other creatures.

I’m not a vet, but it looks to me like the injury sustained may be life threatening anyway. If not life threatening, it will likely not be able to feed itself which means the end for the bird is just a matter of time.

Some folks would hasten to put the bird out of its misery. But I certainly would never try and tell anyone what to do in that regard. 😢
My daughter is talking to a friend who has been working at an animal hospital and she said there's nothing we can do and the bird's leg is pointed completely the wrong way. She said short of killing it myself, just put it outside and leave it to nature, which I think is what we'll do.

Apparently it's a European Sterling which I was told is an invasive species. So...oh well. Bummer.

My daughter is talking to a friend who has been working at an animal hospital and she said there's nothing we can do and the bird's leg is pointed completely the wrong way. She said short of killing it myself, just put it outside and leave it to nature, which I think is what we'll do.

Apparently it's a European Sterling which I was told is an invasive species. So...oh well. Bummer.
That’s what I noticed from the photo you posted.
It may have been attacked by a neighborhood feline.
Left outside a night predator of some sort will likely finish the job.

Dave, this is the humblest and most round about way of getting permission to eat chicken. :hihi:

But seriously, you’re a good dude.

This reminded me of a very odd experience from yesterday
The boys and I went to the zoo and we’re in the new tropical aviary (maybe my favorite place in the zoo now)
As we were leaving we passed the Spectacled Owls - one had its back to us and when it turned around it just locked on my youngest (10 yr old with lots of long curly hair and wearing a colorful headband around his neck)
Everywhere my kid would walk, the owl would track him hard
It went on for minutes
Never saw anything like that

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom