Interesting Draft idea. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I was scanning nfl.com when i came upon Kirwans mock. He first projects the Jets to trade with Oakland to secure Vernon Gholston. The Raiders then get their "Flashy" player in Darren McFadden. I could see this happening. The jets need a pass rusher to somehow stop Tom Brady. Manginee ( spelling) See The Giants Defensive Philosophy. This would help them. Also it says we make a trade with the Pats to secure Ellis. This is interesting. On the draft trade value chart. We would have to trade our 1st and and 3rd. ( the Value comes out to the number 7 pick exactly ( 1500 points)I could also see this happening.
Thoughts?

we don't have a 4th so i am not that keen loosing the 3rd to take a player that would be great when we have far greater needs in CB. i'd prefer to trade back gain a pick and pick DRC, Dre Moore, and a LB like Crable or Lofton. then we still have an extra pick possibly in the 3rd we can address our problem at center.

Trading up is what you do when you have little to no holes in your team and need one player to fill needs. that is not our situation this year!

I was scanning nfl.com when i came upon Kirwans mock. He first projects the Jets to trade with Oakland to secure Vernon Gholston. The Raiders then get their "Flashy" player in Darren McFadden. I could see this happening. The jets need a pass rusher to somehow stop Tom Brady. Manginee ( spelling) See The Giants Defensive Philosophy. This would help them. Also it says we make a trade with the Pats to secure Ellis. This is interesting. On the draft trade value chart. We would have to trade our 1st and and 3rd. ( the Value comes out to the number 7 pick exactly ( 1500 points)I could also see this happening.
Thoughts?
would rather trade our 1st and our 2nd next year

we cant do anything with our second or third because we dont know which pick we will need to give up in the vilma trade.

I don't see why we couldn't trade (say) our third for next year, upgradeable to a second if the 3rd is gone due to the Vilma trade.

we don't have a 4th so i am not that keen loosing the 3rd to take a player that would be great when we have far greater needs in CB. i'd prefer to trade back gain a pick and pick DRC, Dre Moore, and a LB like Crable or Lofton. then we still have an extra pick possibly in the 3rd we can address our problem at center.

Trading up is what you do when you have little to no holes in your team and need one player to fill needs. that is not our situation this year!

Although - if taking Ellis meant we get far greater production from the DBs currently on the roster, then don't you think it would be worth it?

The pick traded to the Jets for Vilma is in the 2009 draft. It was a conditional pick so it CAN NOT be this year's pick.

we don't have a 4th so i am not that keen loosing the 3rd to take a player that would be great when we have far greater needs in CB

double disagree :

first i feel that the draft this year dont give great value at about middle second round anymore , so our 3rd would be expandable to get a good DL ( plus : we´ve had bad luck the last 5-6 3rd rounders , so i wouldnt mind to gamble a bit )
2nd : CB is never a greater need than passrush when your team has nothing of both. average corner looking great with a good passrush or collapse. good CB ( like we can have , we dont know if you don´t add a little passrush ) can only look worse without any kind of passrush .

. i'd prefer to trade back gain a pick and pick DRC, Dre Moore, and a LB like Crable or Lofton. then we still have an extra pick possibly in the 3rd we can address our problem at
center.

Ellis/Dorsey + Mayo/Tracy Porter >>>> DRC , Moore ( who is more of a 3rd rounder anyways ) and addressed (not so ) problem at center . its all about value ... and DRC + moore and crable has bust and gamble all written over it

no its addressing eventually top needs instead of loading your team with second-tier und small college players like we did last year and because of it we are in this situation now,

We need to build our team through the draft. Trading away our draft picks is not a good idea. Admit it!

The very best idea is to trade up for Dorsey or Ellis, because it will be many years before we have another chance to grab an elite inside pass rusher. Next year if we want to go CB in the first we can get a top tier one in the mid 20's to early 30's (which is where we will draft) but we won't sniff a impact DL player in that range.

We need to build our team through the draft. Trading away our draft picks is not a good idea. Admit it!

I can't see the Steelers want their 3rd and 7th round picks back they used to trade up for Troy Polamalu

The Steelers believed so much that Polamalu could have a positive impact on their defense that they traded up from the 27th spot to the 16th spot, originally held by the Chiefs. The Steelers traded away the 92nd and 200th overall pick for the rights to switch first round picks and select Troy Polamalu.

I doubt the Eagles have much complaint about Shawn Andrews

The three-time NFC East champions took Arkansas offensive lineman Shawn Andrews with the 16th pick, after dealing No. 28 and their second-round choice -- No. 58 overall -- to the San Francisco 49ers.

We dealt our 3rd round pick (in 06) to move from 16th to 13th in the 2005 draft to take Jammal Brown. Superb move. If we hadn't it's likely Brown, Derrick Johnson and Thomas Davis would have gone 13, 14, 15 (as they did but to different teams). Travis Johnson went 16th to the Texans and has been woeful. Other options around that pick were David Pollack 17th - career wrecked by neck injury but terrible fit as a 4-3 linebacker anyway, Alex Barron - a complete underachiever also known as the 12th man for the opposition due to his penchant for false starts and an underwhelming list of receivers (Matt Jones) or Fabian Washington, another poor choice.

Sedrick Ellis is worth the 7th pick of this draft, he's a huge position of need, New England are likely a willing trading partner, he won't be there at 10 if we don't trade up, hopefully we won't be in range for a talent like this in future drafts, the talent level drops off after the blue chippers like Ellis. I implore the front office to be aggressive and move up to secure a stud at an important position. I re-watched the Seahawks game yesterday. It was the best performance from our defensive line. Charles Grant and Will Smith were getting upfield against an excellent set of tackles (Walter Jones/Sean Locklear). Hasselbeck was stepping up to avoid the rush but our DTs (mainly Hollis Thomas but a lot of rotation) were collapsing the pocket. We got 4 sacks, many hits and the result was Hasselbeck looking distinctly ordinary and no big plays on our pass defense. Let's go get a guy that can help our D-line dominate games. With Vilma flying around the ball as well we should improve his play, our defensive ends play and our secondaries play by drafting one guy. In years to come no-one will be talking of a lost 3rd round pick

If you're a sucker for punishment click this link and take a look at our 3rd round picks the last 20 years. Doesn't inspire confidence

NFL Draft History: Full Draft - by Team

I can't see the Steelers want their 3rd and 7th round picks back they used to trade up for Troy Polamalu

The Steelers believed so much that Polamalu could have a positive impact on their defense that they traded up from the 27th spot to the 16th spot, originally held by the Chiefs. The Steelers traded away the 92nd and 200th overall pick for the rights to switch first round picks and select Troy Polamalu.

I doubt the Eagles have much complaint about Shawn Andrews

The three-time NFC East champions took Arkansas offensive lineman Shawn Andrews with the 16th pick, after dealing No. 28 and their second-round choice -- No. 58 overall -- to the San Francisco 49ers.

We dealt our 3rd round pick (in 06) to move from 16th to 13th in the 2005 draft to take Jammal Brown. Superb move. If we hadn't it's likely Brown, Derrick Johnson and Thomas Davis would have gone 13, 14, 15 (as they did but to different teams). Travis Johnson went 16th to the Texans and has been woeful. Other options around that pick were David Pollack 17th - career wrecked by neck injury but terrible fit as a 4-3 linebacker anyway, Alex Barron - a complete underachiever also known as the 12th man for the opposition due to his penchant for false starts and an underwhelming list of receivers (Matt Jones) or Fabian Washington, another poor choice.

Sedrick Ellis is worth the 7th pick of this draft, he's a huge position of need, New England are likely a willing trading partner, he won't be there at 10 if we don't trade up, hopefully we won't be in range for a talent like this in future drafts, the talent level drops off after the blue chippers like Ellis. I implore the front office to be aggressive and move up to secure a stud at an important position. I re-watched the Seahawks game yesterday. It was the best performance from our defensive line. Charles Grant and Will Smith were getting upfield against an excellent set of tackles (Walter Jones/Sean Locklear). Hasselbeck was stepping up to avoid the rush but our DTs (mainly Hollis Thomas but a lot of rotation) were collapsing the pocket. We got 4 sacks, many hits and the result was Hasselbeck looking distinctly ordinary and no big plays on our pass defense. Let's go get a guy that can help our D-line dominate games. With Vilma flying around the ball as well we should improve his play, our defensive ends play and our secondaries play by drafting one guy. In years to come no-one will be talking of a lost 3rd round pick

If you're a sucker for punishment click this link and take a look at our 3rd round picks the last 20 years. Doesn't inspire confidence

NFL Draft History: Full Draft - by Team

:worthy::plus-un2::9: Couldn't have said it better myself

I dont really care about our third round pick, but if there is the option to trade back and pick up an extra second, or even better trade with arizona for their pick and Dansby, or Philli for their pick and Lito etc. I think we would be much better off then trading up for one guy. As much as I would love to have Dorsey or Ellis Im just not sure that it is the right thing to do for this team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom