Is it a Trifecta Week? (2 Viewers)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When I grew up in New Orleans, the Big Three football teams during each season was Tulane, LSU, and the Saints. In those days the LSU-Tulane game was an annual rivalry game that was hardly a genuine rivalry because the Tigers generally dominated the Wave save for a few seasons during my childhood, and thus I backed the Tigers during those matchups.

But any other week I always wanted all three teams to win so that all the local favorites would produce the Trifecta that would make us feel proud as southeast Louisiana football fans.

But the problem back then was that it was extremely rare that all three teams would play well enough to win on the same weekend. It was so rare in fact that news and radio stations made a big deal when Tulane, LSU, and the Saints would achieve that feat.

Well times have changed and in the last decade or so there has been many more opportunities and successes to achieve that longed-for football Trifecta. But I still consider it a special weekend when all three of these teams can earn the ‘W’ on the same weekend. This is why I’m extra excited about the Saints game tomorrow. Now that the Tigers and the Wave have done their part, it’s all up to the Saints tomorrow to complete the Trifecta.

So let’s hope that we all get our wish and see the Saints seal the deal against the Eagles. That’ll be one more reason to yell Who Dat extra loudly tomorrow! :9:

Last edited:
lol, my husband doesn't use the term "trifecta week" but I knew exactly what you meant. He looks at it hoping one of them would lose on Saturday so Saints can win Sunday. I thought the Rajn Cajuns were gonna save us against the Green Wave win but no. Eh, it's just a silly superstition anywho. It's gonna be a trifecta week!

ETA: What do you call a week when all 3 of them lose?

lol, my husband doesn't use the term "trifecta week" but I knew exactly what you meant. He looks at it hoping one of them would lose on Saturday so Saints can win Sunday. I thought the Rajn Cajuns were gonna save us against the Green Wave win but no. Eh, it's just a silly superstition anywho. It's gonna be a trifecta week!

giphy.gif

I have the same superstition. I get uneasy when things are going too good.
Last week I was excited before the game, this weekend I've been nervous.
It's silly and has no bearing in reality but when it comes to the Saints superstitions are just built in and always have been.
The year we won SB my brother swears it's because he wore his Saints pj's inside out every weekend.

I believe him.

The year we won SB my brother swears it's because he wore his Saints pj's inside out every weekend.

I believe him.
Football fan superstitions are part of fandom lore wherever the game is loved & discussed at both the college & pro levels. I've spoken about it in a tongue-in-cheek manner many times by humorously taking on the George Costanza role during Gameday thread chats even though I actually do not have a superstitious bone in my body. However, for many fans it is a genuine & emotional reality. And it has even been highlighted within the media often. Probably most recently it has been the theme of the Dr Pepper 'Fansville' TV ads where the characters swear by their superstitious foibles.

While it makes for some funny, silly, and lighthearted discussions, it can definitely be debilitating to those who put even an ounce of credibility to superstitious ideas or beliefs. Such talk is good for having a few laughs, but please don't take it seriously. Unless you are in person at a football game there is nothing you can do to influence the outcome one way or another. If you want to help your team win, buy a ticket and go scream your head off at the appropriate moments.

Short of that, as Stevie says... Superstition ain't the way. :grin:

Football fan superstitions are part of fandom lore wherever the game is loved & discussed at both the college & pro levels. I've spoken about it in a tongue-in-cheek manner many times by humorously taking on the George Costanza role during Gameday thread chats even though I actually do not have a superstitious bone in my body. However, for many fans it is a genuine & emotional reality. And it has even been highlighted within the media often. Probably most recently it has been the theme of the Dr Pepper 'Fansville' TV ads where the characters swear by their superstitious foibles.

While it makes for some funny, silly, and lighthearted discussions, it can definitely be debilitating to those who put even an ounce of credibility to superstitious ideas or beliefs. Such talk is good for having a few laughs, but please don't take it seriously. Unless you are in person at a football game there is nothing you can do to influence the outcome one way or another. If you want to help your team win, buy a ticket and go scream your head off at the appropriate moments.

Short of that, as Stevie says... Superstition ain't the way. :grin:
It's just more fun to incorporate superstition into a game, I don't know anyone who actually believes them.
Our group that gets together for the games have a few, one being if we needed a score real bad somebody would tell me to go to the bathroom, well any woman present for that matter. My Mom used to yell at me to go outside and watch the game. Apparently I am the jinx.

It's just more fun to incorporate superstition into a game, I don't know anyone who actually believes them.
Our group that gets together for the games have a few, one being if we needed a score real bad somebody would tell me to go to the bathroom, well any woman present for that matter. My Mom used to yell at me to go outside and watch the game. Apparently I am the jinx.
I think you'd be surprised to learn how many people truly believe in their superstitions.
And trust me... I know all about being considered the jinx when a football game is in progress. :hihi:

I remember that back in the mid 80s when it was such a rare thing for all three to win on the same weekend….crazy to see it flip and start to become a normal occurrence more recently.

PS….Ive got my lucky Colston jersey on today. No comment on how many times that thing does or doesn’t get washed this season. ;)

Also have muted it for every game and have WWOZ playing instead…come on 3-0.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom