Is Ty Montgomery the surprise of training camp? (1 Viewer)

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Since it is ONLY training camp and everyone gets caught up in what they see players do in shorts, all that considered, is Ty the surprise? If not, who other?

All that we can go on this year, since fans are not allowed in, is observations put out by sports talking heads. So we are all at the same disadvantage....šŸ˜‚

I remember watching TY when GreenBay first switched him from WR to more of a RB role. He looked like one of the better satellite backs in the NFL and then GreenBay slowly went away from him which I thought was a mistake. He is a mismatch problem and gives us another back similar to the role Kamara plays and actually reminds me a lot of Kamara Having TY as our 3rd RB doesnā€™t get much better giving us another versatile player who is capable of playing multiple positions. Heā€™s in the prime of his career and on a team that will get the most out of his skill set. Another weapon for Payton and Brees that defenses have to plan for. This team has never ever had depth like we currently with our offense being absolutely stacked at every position!

Great highlight video for people not familiar with his game.

Donā€™t know if many remember him from college but he was a flat out stud at WR. Was one of my favorite players going into the draft and someone I wanted the Saints to get.

Last edited:
I think he will help Payton play chess where others play checkers. I think there is a greater chance of SP tricking himself by trying to do too much than there is of defenses covering all of our weapons. Defensive coordinators have probably circled the week they play us and marked it ā€œno sleepā€. We may not have the best offense this year but Iā€™m sure we will have one of the hardest to prepare for.

I remember watching TY when GreenBay first switched him from WR to more of a RB role. He looked like one of the better satellite backs in the NFL and then GreenBay slowly went away from him which I thought was a mistake. He is a mismatch problem and gives us another back similar to the role Kamara plays and actually reminds me a lot of Kamara Having TY as our 3rd RB doesnā€™t get much better giving us another versatile player who is capable of playing multiple positions. Heā€™s in the prime of his career and on a team that will get the most out of his skill set. Another weapon for Payton and Brees that defenses have to plan for. This team has never ever had depth like we currently with our offense being absolutely stacked at every position!

Donā€™t know if many remember him from college but he was a flat out stud at WR. Was one of my favorite players going into the draft and someone I wanted the Saints to get.

With his addition, the Saints can run the same offense as when Kamara is in the game. Defenses will always need to be aware of the versatility of Ty. Usually defenses can determine what part of a RBā€™s game is their weakness and not have to be concerned. But with Kamara and Ty, the defense has to be prepared for the run and the pass out the backfield, or the shift/motion, into the slot, or wide position. It definitely keeps pressure on the defense every down.

Iā€™m not surprised at all. Heā€™s a bigger, better version of the type of RBs that have been the backup here for years. Sean Payton knows how to use his skill set and has done well with guys far less talented and experienced than Montgomery.

With Kamara, Murray and Ty, the Saints have The Best RBs in the league. We have so much freakin talent at RB, its insane. Ty is really good and SP will use him soooo much better than GB

With Kamara, Murray and Ty, the Saints have The Best RBs in the league. We have so much freakin talent at RB, its insane. Ty is really good and SP will use him soooo much better than GB

Agreed. Hes athletic, hes physical, , he can run, he can catch. He kinda reminds me a lil of Deebo Samuel ( who I really liked in the 2019 draft!) . Hes also pretty smart, so he should be able to pick up the playbook well.
N like you said, not only is he a good fit for our O, I think he realized this O is the best fit for HIM!

Agreed. Hes athletic, hes physical, , he can run, he can catch. He kinda reminds me a lil of Deebo Samuel ( who I really liked in the 2019 draft!) . Hes also pretty smart, so he should be able to pick up the playbook well.
N like you said, not only is he a good fit for our O, I think he realized this O is the best fit for HIM!

Thanks for the info. One question though, how is his blocking? Both in the backfield and upfield. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. One question though, how is his blocking? Both in the backfield and upfield. Thanks.

Good question! I looked it up n found this:

ā€œSaints fans will be happy to hear that Montgomery is a willing blocker who was tasked with defending the NFLā€™s favorite quarterback in Aaron Rodgers while in Green Bay. The only issue I was able to find was that too often he would lead with his shoulder into blocks instead of squaring up and engaging. Nevertheless, he was able to execute those blocks effectivelyā€

Thatā€™s from Deuce Windam.

Moreover, I defer to SP. . Knowing wat he wants from his backs, backs, Iā€™m thinkin heā€™s good wit wat Ty can do. Remember, folk had lotsa concerns about Murray goin into last year too. By the end of the season, it was simply, ā€œWhy didnā€™t he play more?ā€œ So I think Ty will do pretty well here! :9:

Since it is ONLY training camp and everyone gets caught up in what they see players do in shorts, all that considered, is Ty the surprise? If not, who other?

All that we can go on this year, since fans are not allowed in, is observations put out by sports talking heads. So we are all at the same disadvantage....šŸ˜‚
I think it's Patrick Robinson. He's been dominant for days now and was considered to be a sure fire cut heading into camp

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom