It's really not that bad (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The thing that gets glossed over when we talk about the great head coaches is that they're just smarter than everybody else. DA is definitely not a great HC. But I seriously don't think it's possible that he's not a very smart guy. You can't run a NFL defense successfully for long if you're stupid. I'm sure it happens but it seems like it would be hard for somebody slip through cracks wind up as head coach. DA is going to get another year whether we like it or not.

But being smart isn't enough. Leadership and a whole lot other factors including being willing to dedicate virtually every minute of your life to your job.
Payton had all of that. Plus a good bit of arrogance thrown in for good measure. Good luck finding another one like him. They're out there but finding one who doesn't already have a job is going to take some serious work. Luckily we did a lot of that work last offseason. Could be that they want to take their time and do a thorough search. Meanwhile they have confidence Allen can hold down the fort and possibly even win the job. (Doubtful)
Payton wasn't around the last time we hired a coach. But Mickey Loomis was. He also was part of the team that hired Jim Haselet, who people seem to forget was NFL HC of the year his first year here. He's done a great job for a long time and I see no reason to think he won't continue to do so.

So I think I'll defer to the people who have kept us one of the most successful franchises over the last 20+ years.

The thing that gets glossed over when we talk about the great head coaches is that they're just smarter than everybody else. DA is definitely not a great HC. But I seriously don't think it's possible that he's not a very smart guy. You can't run a NFL defense successfully for long if you're stupid. I'm sure it happens but it seems like it would be hard for somebody slip through cracks wind up as head coach. DA is going to get another year whether we like it or not.

But being smart isn't enough. Leadership and a whole lot other factors including being willing to dedicate virtually every minute of your life to your job.
Payton had all of that. Plus a good bit of arrogance thrown in for good measure. Good luck finding another one like him. They're out there but finding one who doesn't already have a job is going to take some serious work. Luckily we did a lot of that work last offseason. Could be that they want to take their time and do a thorough search. Meanwhile they have confidence Allen can hold down the fort and possibly even win the job. (Doubtful)
Payton wasn't around the last time we hired a coach. But Mickey Loomis was. He also was part of the team that hired Jim Haselet, who people seem to forget was NFL HC of the year his first year here. He's done a great job for a long time and I see no reason to think he won't continue to do so.

So I think I'll defer to the people who have kept us one of the most successful franchises over the last 20+ years.
Having an offence that averages 24 points a game would have had us at 12 wins and we have skill players on offence.
Hopefully, DA and Loomis are willing to make changes and not just kick the can down the road, keep doing what your doing.
But I don't have much faith

This is how I view the situation. 1st time HCs should have shortcomings (although some are just naturals). DA had a 3 year stint before. That 3 year stint, should have shown him how the better handle another opportunity from A-Z. Not to mention, he got 2 opportunities to watch a HOF HC up close (SP). At no point did DA learn anything about being a HC. He can’t even talk the way HCs should. Dude was gift wrapped a hot garbage Division. I will say this again…..we peaked in our last preseason game. This entire season was so dang hard to watch. It was absolutely a brutal display of football. Even in our 24-0 win, did we didn’t play a complete game. What are the odds of a football team not playing 1 complete game out of 17 games? Make this make sense!!!!

I’m not under any delusions that DA is a top notch head coach, but this years team was a mess. Anyone who expected anything out of this team looking at all the injuries either doesn’t watch much football. And I think no matter what happens the majority of this forum will cry no matter what and obviously knows more than the high paid professional in this organization.

I think some offensive calls were questionable but that happened when SP was here too. Dalton far exceeded my expectations, he just ain’t that guy and his top 2 receivers were MIA and the o line was banged up as usual.

This is how I view the situation. 1st time HCs should have shortcomings (although some are just naturals). DA had a 3 year stint before. That 3 year stint, should have shown him how the better handle another opportunity from A-Z. Not to mention, he got 2 opportunities to watch a HOF HC up close (SP). At no point did DA learn anything about being a HC. He can’t even talk the way HCs should. Dude was gift wrapped a hot garbage Division. I will say this again…..we peaked in our last preseason game. This entire season was so dang hard to watch. It was absolutely a brutal display of football. Even in our 24-0 win, did we didn’t play a complete game. What are the odds of a football team not playing 1 complete game out of 17 games? Make this make sense!!!!
Even worse it felt like an offensive eruption when the team did achieve that. It seems the team only scored 20 plus 5 or 6 times. Then second half of season it seemed getting to 15 was one hell of struggle.

I’m not under any delusions that DA is a top notch head coach, but this years team was a mess. Anyone who expected anything out of this team looking at all the injuries either doesn’t watch much football. And I think no matter what happens the majority of this forum will cry no matter what and obviously knows more than the high paid professional in this organization.

I think some offensive calls were questionable but that happened when SP was here too. Dalton far exceeded my expectations, he just ain’t that guy and his top 2 receivers were MIA and the o line was banged up as usual.
Do you know what a competent HC and OC could’ve done with Olave, AK41, Shaheed, JJ, and TH7????

Do you know what a competent HC and OC could’ve done with Olave, AK41, Shaheed, JJ, and TH7????

QB is the one who makes it all go on the field and Dalton just isn't the guy. His game is mostly safe, high percentage throws. Too many stalled drives and missed opportunities in the red zone. Wasn't nearly enough playmaking ability from that position this season.

Olave and Shaheed were way better than what has been had WR since 2016. MT never had a capable WR to compliment him.

I´d be super interested to know if some of the old timers here remember how Loomis zeroed in on Payton for the HC position in 2006. Was it just that he was an up and coming name? Did they have some sort of specific intel on him? or was it just luck? Did the Saints interview other candidates or was Payton their top choice? I know he wanted the Packers job and got passed over, but that´s about it.

I´d be super interested to know if some of the old timers here remember how Loomis zeroed in on Payton for the HC position in 2006. Was it just that he was an up and coming name? Did they have some sort of specific intel on him? or was it just luck? Did the Saints interview other candidates or was Payton their top choice? I know he wanted the Packers job and got passed over, but that´s about it.

Payton was one of five candidates interviewed by the Saints at the team's headquarters last week. The others were Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman and former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz.

Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach, not every head coach is going to be great. That doesn't make him dumb.

Payton was one of five candidates interviewed by the Saints at the team's headquarters last week. The others were Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon, former Green Bay head coach Mike Sherman and former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz.

It doesn't hurt to have Parcells as a co-sign. He has one of the most successful coaching trees in league history.

QB is the one who makes it all go on the field and Dalton just isn't the guy. His game is mostly safe, high percentage throws. Too many stalled drives and missed opportunities in the red zone. Wasn't nearly enough playmaking ability from that position this season.
True to an extent. Olave, Shaheed, and AK41 could all create separation. We just needed a better scheme. Remember Pete said basically that he let the defense dictate what he was calling on Offense. Not the other way around. Dalton is long in the tooth, but he was good enough to win a putrid division

You have to have a qb to score points. I hope you’re not using taysom as your example of a qb….I’m a big fan but him at full time qb leads to him being injured and he’s not the best at that either.

Me replying to this post will appear that I’m making an argument that DA and PC made no mistakes. I never said that.

Also, unpopular opinion, I don’t think AK is the dude he was a few years ago. Play calling definitely hasn’t helped put him in the best position either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom