Video J. T. O'Sullivan's Spencer Rattler Analysis - Preseason Week 3 - 2024 (1 Viewer)

Is J.T. not the same guy you bashed because “If his opinion and breakdowns are so good why isn’t he coaching somewhere?” Or am I mistaken? 😉
Yeah, and I still disagree with him on some things. But I did go and watch a ton of his QB film studies and found that he does a pretty decent job. Why isn't he coaching somewhere? He did try as a HS HC for 3 yrs and had a 20-10 record, could be he found out it was not for him. But hey the more info you get the more informed opinion you can make

Yeah but at least he has an area of expertise
I am not going to try and pretend differently — he knows more than me even if he never made a name for himself on the NFL. And he definitely seems to know more than Kurt Benkerk, who just seems to want to push buttons and be Colin Cowherd Jr. as opposed to passing on what seems to be true, viable knowledge.

Last edited:
No issue w/ the assessment.

JT, while respected, is also in the same boat as the typical person - he doesn't know the intracacies of the plays being called. He also on more than one occasion has expressed his bias towards the scheme (did it in the week 2 video) about how he doesn't like some of the play design.

No different than anyone else NOT in the Saints FO his opinion has to be taken w/ a grain of salt. Even without seeing the vid, it's pretty obvious that Rattler needs some seasoning. Best case scenario he's alloted the year to learn because Carr is healthy. That jives w/ what everyone has said, and also with his draft position. He's a high upside guy who isn't quite ready to be QB1 right now.
If you are not decisively better than the number two qb on this team than it’s very likely the Saints future starting qb is still in college.

Most of the reviews JT is making of young QBs are very critical as they should be. These guys have yet to play a meaningful down in the NFL. They’re going to make a lot of mistakes.

If you are not decisively better than the number two qb on this team than it’s very likely the Saints future starting qb is still in college.
the Saints haven't done that since Archie Manning. I think you meant to say "the Saints future starting qb is still on someone else's roster."

As for me....I'm liking what I'm seeing from Haener and Rattler. I can't see what happens in practice, but Rattler seems to be more of a "gamer". I'm hoping they're pushing each other to improve and that one of them "blows up" and pushes Carr out the door. I don't hate Carr, but he is who he is...a QB who has almost certainly realized his potential at this point in his career. Haener & Rattler....LOTS of upside to get where Carr already is, and possibly even more?! And about 120 million reasons ($) why that is good for the Saints. I think (hope?!) we have a tiger by the tail...FINALLY! Fingers crossed...

Yeah, and I still disagree with him on some things. But I did go and watch a ton of his QB film studies and found that he does a pretty decent job. Why isn't he coaching somewhere? He did try as a HS HC for 3 yrs and had a 20-10 record, could be he found out it was not for him. But hey the more info you get the more informed opinion you can make
Coaching is a 20 hour a day job. Not everyone is a workaholic. That's exactly why i didn't get into coaching.

the Saints haven't done that since Archie Manning. I think you meant to say "the Saints future starting qb is still on someone else's roster."

As for me....I'm liking what I'm seeing from Haener and Rattler. I can't see what happens in practice, but Rattler seems to be more of a "gamer". I'm hoping they're pushing each other to improve and that one of them "blows up" and pushes Carr out the door. I don't hate Carr, but he is who he is...a QB who has almost certainly realized his potential at this point in his career. Haener & Rattler....LOTS of upside to get where Carr already is, and possibly even more?! And about 120 million reasons ($) why that is good for the Saints. I think (hope?!) we have a tiger by the tail...FINALLY! Fingers crossed...
You’re probably right, the future starting qb is likely on another teams roster. I hope one of the young guns on the team currently can develop into a legit backup, but I don’t see either as an effective starter in the league.

Definitely should slow down Rattler-mania just a bit. We can be excited about his potential while also being realistic. I'll take O'Sullivan's experience-informed breakdowns over that of any journalist who hasn't ever played the position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom