Jackson, Ms is jacked up (Merged) (2 Viewers)

Next crisis has stepped up, garbage pickup, which has been on/off in the making for well over a year with countless lawsuits, the residents have gone without pickup since Monday.

Last edited:
Next crisis has stepped up, garbage pickup, which has been on/off in the making for well over a year with countless lawsuits, the residents have gone without pickup since Monday.

Fwiw, trash pickup problems are in a lot of metro areas. We're have similar issues with frequent missed pickups from multiple trash companies. And that's Fairfax County. Can't imagine how bad it would be in other localities with far less funding.

Fwiw, trash pickup problems are in a lot of metro areas. We're have similar issues with frequent missed pickups from multiple trash companies. And that's Fairfax County. Can't imagine how bad it would be in other localities with far less funding.
Jackson isn't just a missed pickup. If the contract proposal from the mayor's office gets rejected by the city council then it could take a few months to get another proper bid and there would be no trash pickup for those several months. Private companies are already filling the void in Jackson.

Jackson isn't just a missed pickup. If the contract proposal from the mayor's office gets rejected by the city council then it could take a few months to get another proper bid and there would be no trash pickup for those several months. Private companies are already filling the void in Jackson.
Pretty sure Jackson is NO’s future after the next state election

Yeah, iirc it's all private companies here. And no doubt it's not just missed pick ups, but overall, some of these companies are are terribly mismanaged, raise rates while cutting back service, etc. There's numerous reddit pages that cover the issue in NOVA. It's a pretty big mess. That and there's few options to turn to when trash isn't getting picked up for weeks on end.

I'd like to hear the council's explanation as to why they're willing to force citizens to pay upwards of 30% more to go to Waste Management and only Waste Management, if what the mayor is saying it's true. If I lived there, I'd be livid.

I'd like to hear the council's explanation as to why they're willing to force citizens to pay upwards of 30% more to go to Waste Management and only Waste Management, if what the mayor is saying it's true. If I lived there, I'd be livid.
They actually make their point and didn’t run away, local radio personality put them on air.

I tried to link the FB live video but link gets stripped out. Edit - I figured it out 😀.

Last edited:
A couple of companies here jacked up their rates by 30-40% and cut pickups to once per week instead of twice. So half the service for a hefty price increase. Lot of customers here were absolutely livid. And waste management isn't the only industry where you're seeing trends like this. Inflation is bad and salaries aren't keeping up.

My salary went up last year, but compared to inflation, I'm actually losing purchasing power.

Richards Disposal is the company in question. Some of the things I have seen that NOLA is kicking Richards out after the contract, Richards has a pending lawsuit in BR also. Richards would not tell the council who their contractors were, weren’t supplying full number of trash bins needed, I think they were going to be 10k short.

I don’t have a dog in the fight but you can easily understand the councils position. From the looks they are being bullied to accept Richards, as the mayor has not brought forth any other options. I believe they are saying the council wants Waste Management to be the preferred vendor.

They actually make their point and didn’t run away, local radio personality put them on air.

I tried to link the FB live video but link gets stripped out. Edit - I figured it out 😀.

Thanks for this. Really tells a lot that wasn't known.

Special council meeting vote was scheduled for today, majority vote needed but same council members were going to vote No again, so it wasn't expected to pass. Though before the vote, the mayor pulled the vote off the table after learning of pending lawsuit from Richard's the vendor in question. MDEQ is threatening 25k fine per violation to the city now, people are dumping their garbage in business owners dumpsters causing their expenses to go up.

Special council meeting vote was scheduled for today, majority vote needed but same council members were going to vote No again, so it wasn't expected to pass. Though before the vote, the mayor pulled the vote off the table after learning of pending lawsuit from Richard's the vendor in question. MDEQ is threatening 25k fine per violation to the city now, people are dumping their garbage in business owners dumpsters causing their expenses to go up.

Yikes, that's messed up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom