Jamaal Williams (2 Viewers)

I understand the OL had issues, but why did Alvin Kamara and Kendre Miller at least look like competent NFL running backs behind it?

Do you guys not realize how bad you have to be to average 2.9 ypc at this level?
Kendre Miller did not look competent. He was practically invisible even when he wasn’t injured. The final game of the season he looked okay but he was no better than Jamaal Williams

Kendre Miller did not look competent. He was practically invisible even when he wasn’t injured. The final game of the season he looked okay but he was no better than Jamaal Williams
I agree with most of that. I don't get what Underhill sees in him. Maybe we didn't see him in training camp? I know I didn't, but during the season, I thought he was a big nothing. Better than Williams though, but nothing special until that final game, but I do disagree with you there because I think he looked better than okay.

I was at the game!
This is absolutely incorrect!
Miller hit holes with speed and vision. Williams looked slow and washed up!

1714483331642.png
He looked great in the final game, but only that one game. It could've been because our OL run blocking was trash for most of the season, so he was only able to show us what he's capable of in the finale.

I disagree. Miller has vision and burst, good change of direction skills, and hands. I think you’re selling the kid short.

Was he spectacular? No. But he’s definitely a better back today than Jamaal Williams is IMO.

He looked great in the final game, but only that one game. It could've been because our OL run blocking was trash for most of the season, so he was only able to show us what he's capable of in the finale.
When we drafted him, it was well known that he was coming off a knee injury.
As with a lot of player's coming off a knee injury he had a set back injury early in the season.

Unfortunately it took him most of the year to get healthy.
I was even disappointed that we took him in the 3rd round & we were getting so little return.

But what I saw at the ATL game is a player that when healthy has the size, speed, vision, & patience to be a terrific RB in the NFL.

Hopefully he will be healthy next year and he can stay on the field...

In that 1 game Williams had his normal horrible stats and Miller didn't... which is probably due to Miller hitting the hole more quickly and the OL not having to sustain their blocks as long as they have to for Williams.

Yeah, so pay him almost $4 million NOT to play? Seriously? I highly doubt that. It is not like he cannot provide some value.
This happens all of the time in the NFL...

1714496162357.png

He was terrible last year and he take a roster spot that can be used by a player who contributes to us winning games!

Last edited:
Power backs always struggle when they have no holes to run through. Williams isn't the kind of back that's going to make something out of nothing because he's just that special. He's a no frills type of back. That's not a knock on him, that's just his game. There is still a place for a back like that in any offense but the dude needs somewhere to run. Having defenders in your face as soon as you get the handoff doesn't work for most backs.

So the offense wasn't ideal for him, that was part of it. Another part of it is the simple fact that he's an old man in RB years and he didn't have much juice. A better run scheme/run blocking will help but I don't know how much. My hope is that he has enough left to be the short yardage guy while AK does what he does best and Kendre Miller has more burst a year removed from his injury. That and the O line moves people up front.

Power backs always struggle when they have no holes to run through. Williams isn't the kind of back that's going to make something out of nothing because he's just that special. He's a no frills type of back. That's not a knock on him, that's just his game. There is still a place for a back like that in any offense but the dude needs somewhere to run. Having defenders in your face as soon as you get the handoff doesn't work for most backs.

So the offense wasn't ideal for him, that was part of it. Another part of it is the simple fact that he's an old man in RB years and he didn't have much juice. A better run scheme/run blocking will help but I don't know how much. My hope is that he has enough left to be the short yardage guy while AK does what he does best and Kendre Miller has more burst a year removed from his injury. That and the O line moves people up front.
I think RB age is measured in "hits" or "carries" moreso than years. But, either way...yeah he's on the backside of his career. Kamara too, for that matter, but not as far along.

MY HOPE is that a young buck/UDFA goes all STUD in TC and forces his way onto the roster. Make the Saints brass choose between the up-and-coming runner, who won't clear waivers; OR, the veteran RB that it costs the same to cut as to keep. If faced with that scenario, I KNOW which one I would choose...

I think RB age is measured in "hits" or "carries" moreso than years. But, either way...yeah he's on the backside of his career. Kamara too, for that matter, but not as far along.

MY HOPE is that a young buck/UDFA goes all STUD in TC and forces his way onto the roster. Make the Saints brass choose between the up-and-coming runner, who won't clear waivers; OR, the veteran RB that it costs the same to cut as to keep. If faced with that scenario, I KNOW which one I would choose...
Absolutely. I'd love to have a young, hungry back out there running like his life depends on it. Young buck with some spring in his step. I love AK and he's great but he's more of a glider. Really smooth. I want a violent, ferocious ball of muscle bursting through the line, truck sticking somebody at the second level and/or making a guy miss before taking it to the house. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Jammal Williams is 6-0, 224 lb

Jacob Kibodi, our new undrafted free agent, is 6-1, 225 lbs.

We haven't seen anything of our new player, but he fits the same profile. If he surprises, he can be a competition for Williams.

That’s one more okay game than Jamaal Williams had, though

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom