Article James Hurst should be starting Left Guard (1 Viewer)

Who should be the starting Left Guard?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Peat was genuinely elite in 2018.

He ain't been the same since, which is a shame. I was hoping we'd see 2018 Peat again, but at this point its time to call it how it is, and he ain't it. We're gonna need better Guard play because there isn't a QB in the league who has a good time against pressure up the middle.

Peat is the best guard on the roster when healthy, there is no downside to playing him until he gets hurt and then bringing in a backup, thats why he continues to start.

Peat and Hurst’s blocking grades in the last 2 seasons. Most of Hurst’s snaps is at LT against opponents’ best DL. The two’s overall QB hits and total pressures looks similar on the surface. But Peat’s W/L block rate is significantly lower in pass protection.

IMG_9656.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

Peat is the best guard on the roster when healthy, there is no downside to playing him until he gets hurt and then bringing in a backup, thats why he continues to start.
I think even Throckmorton is better than Peat. Saldiveri will be better eventually.

Andrus Peat misses too many blocks, and gets knocked down quite often. He will whiff on blocks as well. He's a great run blocker though. And, of course, the injuries are huge. He gets hurt brushing his teeth. He won't play through pain. Armstead had the injury bug, but @ least he was a great LT. But he was also allowed to leave because he couldn't stay on the field.

I think even Throckmorton is better than Peat. Saldiveri will be better eventually.

Andrus Peat misses too many blocks, and gets knocked down quite often. He will whiff on blocks as well. He's a great run blocker though. And, of course, the injuries are huge. He gets hurt brushing his teeth. He won't play through pain. Armstead had the injury bug, but @ least he was a great LT. But he was also allowed to leave because he couldn't stay on the field.
David , Peats been to what 3 Pro bowls ?

If Throckmorton or Hurst were better whay are they playing for backup pay on our roster? Why aren't they getting starter money somewhere else?

Saldiveri remains to be seen he hasn't played a down yet. Hopefully he turns out to be a great player .

Back to my point when healthy he's good , I am sure no one wishes he didn't get hurt more than Peat does and I am also sure his health is the reason the Saints are looking at options

What's the story been with Penning in TC so far? I really like him and he showed some major flashes of talent last year in the run game, but I don't think he is ready to start at LT with what he has showed in pass protection. He's still really raw in that aspect.

I think if you go the non Peat route then put Hurst at LT and Penning at LG until you feel comfortable enough to switch the two. I think he would benefit from learning pass pro skills at guard first where he is less likely to deal with speed rushers.
I agree with paragraph 1 and disagree with paragraph 2. Penning needs to learn one position well and not get him all confused by putting too much on his plate by making him learn two positions. Now, maybe he can learn both; there's still some time in training camp.

Good, thought provoking post.

Do we want a starter we can rely on or a backup we can rely on? The answer of both. Ship Peat

He makes good points on starting Hurst for better LG play, availability, and consistency for Penning. Hurst is our 3rd or 4th best OL right now with/after Ruiz. He’s always effective whenever he’s in the lineup at any position. Peat’s last contract year is structured at a non-starter salary this season after taking a pay cut when he restructured.

IMG_9624.jpeg

Im hoping Saldivardi anchors in at LG

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom