James Webb Space Telescope (2 Viewers)

The delays worry me, but then I think "at least they're catching them early". And it doesn't look like they are design errors.
I suppose when you have absolutely zero margin for error, this is what you have to do (note: to me, their ability to “shake” the craft and spin it does not qualify as creating a margin for error).

Even as a childhood space geek, the high level of excitement I feel about this project is surprising to me. I really, really hope this thing works - not least because a failure is going to damage the cause for future space projects pretty severely.

It's understandable but also sucks that it will be at least a month and a half after launch. for it to reach the L2 point and deploy the mirror/heat shield before it will start to take the pictures.

Also because of the distance it is set, at physical upgrades or repairs will be near impossible unlike like what was able to be done with the Hubble telescope.

It's understandable but also sucks that it will be at least a month and a half after launch. for it to reach the L2 point and deploy the mirror/heat shield before it will start to take the pictures.

Also because of the distance it is set, at physical upgrades or repairs will be near impossible unlike like what was able to be done with the Hubble telescope.
That's what is most worrisome. Let's hope they learned their lesson and are double checking, dotting i's, crossing t's, and making sure the batteries are charged.

Looks like things are getting locked in and ready for a Christmas Eve launch. The issues they had which caused the slight delay seem to be resolved, so it's almost go time.

Watching 30 years of Hubble on Science Channel right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom