Jamie Dukes Mock... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
By Jamie Dukes
Special to NFL.com
(NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes offers up his mock draft following the NFL Scouting Combine).
1. Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU -- This is the franchise quarterback that will take the Raiders over time to the next level. Russel has an explosive arm and is accustomed to playing outside in the elements. The big question is do the Raiders have the pallet to pay a quarterback at the first pick?
2. Detroit: Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin -- The Lions like Brady Quinn but not enough to select him at No. 2. Thomas is an athletic franchise tackle that is not the traditional road-grader type the Badgers are known for and he still makes sense. He has a nasty temperament but may be better served as a right tackle due to the length of his arms.
3. Cleveland: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma -- The Browns will probably pass on Brady Quinn because my sources say, "We need someone who can help us win now." Cleveland needs a franchise back and Adrian Peterson is the man for the job.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10037862

No way Jamaal Anderson doesn't go in the first round.
And I just don't see Zach Miller or Joe Staley going in the first.

Last edited:
I give very little regard to what Jamie Dukes says or writes. I find he is not very knowledgeable and tries way to hard to be funny, without pulling it off.

His Mock Draft is as accurate as anyone right now with Free Agency just beginning and rosters far from set...

I thought Jamie Dukes had some excellent observations at the combine.

His Mock Draft is as accurate as anyone right now with Free Agency just beginning and rosters far from set...

Heh, good point. No mocks are really worth their salt until the FA dust settles...

I guess its just the awkward way he tries to be the clown and it doesnt work that really leaves a bad taste for me. It certainly clouds everything he says in my eyes.

Every so often he stops playing the character he wants to be for NFLN and just acts normal and its actually refreshing, I wish he would do that more.

No way the they take a TE that high with this offense unless Olsen is there, and I think that would be improbable.
The saints will address the defense in the first this year unless someone too good to pass up falls in their laps again. Probably coincidence but last year went like this:
1rst: Reggie, offense of course.
2nd: Harper, defense.
4th: Evans, Offense
5th: Nink, Defense
6th: Hass, offense
6th #2: Lay, defense
7th: Strief, offense
7th #2: Colston offense

I know the offense then defense thing may not mean anything but they need a system to decide how their gonna pick in terms of O and D. I say bpa either O or D and alternate, again unless someone falls thats too good to let pass. I think thats why they traded down last year. They were still able to get Harper, he was the highest rated defensive player available when they picked and they must have figured he would still be there if they traded down. Plus they were able to get Faine in the deal. I also remember hearing they were high on D. Ryans too, so maybe they had him and Harper graded about the same and figured they could get one of them while filling the need at center. I just don't think the alternation from O to D in each round is a coincidence. I also realize this theory doesn't hold up in the later rounds, but after you get past the fifth they probably just go with some longshots at whatever positions and see if they stick ie. Strief and Colston.

Sorry if I kind of hijacked the thread. I am in a sort of rant mode today. :)

Last edited:
4. Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- Defensive ends Simeon Rice and Greg Spires are getting older and Gaines Adams should be the guy, but Calvin Johnson is too tempting to pass up for Jon Gruden, who has and effective but aging Joey Galloway and an inconsistent Mark Clayton as his receiver. My source tells me "it will cost a lot to get the rights to this kid" if someone wanted to trade for the draft rights to Johnson.

Hey Jamie, his name is MICHAEL Clayton, not Mark.

meachem ain't all that bro....he looked weak in the skills competitions....

In the skills competition that I saw, he won the best hands event, he had 1 more catch than Olsen.

Besides, he looks good on the field which is where it counts anyway.

I thought Jamie Dukes had some excellent observations at the combine.

I agree he is knowledgeable but he has us taking Zach Miller in his mock. Miller may have dropped to mid-late 2nd round after running a 4.8 40. Too much other talent on the board to reach for Miller.

He has Patrick Willis listed as a defensive end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom