John sigler- the only real critic of the saints-Doug Pederson pass (1 Viewer)

Pederson or McDaniel were my preferences, and I’d prefer an offensive minded coach in any instance, but unless something credible confirms that Pederson wanted the job - and I don’t know why he would - we can only speculate that he’s the one that got away. He’s already been fired once so I’m not sure what would have been attractive about taking over a team with big questions at QB and a challenging cap situation.

Maybe Loomis could and should have done more to attract him. It’s possible he screwed this up. But it’s also possible that there were coaching candidates who didn’t see New Orleans set up for success in the short term and didn’t want to jeopardize their career track on a risky stop.

We may never find out but it would be informative to know, for certain, how realistic Pederson joining the Saints ever really was. Would have been great to have him.

Hindsight says Loomis should have never let Pederson leave without a contract.

Not a good evaluation indicator for Loomis, based on (a) hindsight, (b) hiring DA and (c) his probable success when hiring any/all of our future coach(es).

He was my top choice. Super bowl win to his resume and offensive minded.
He was mine as well. Anyone who beats a Tom Brady-led team, while using plays like the Philly Special, with a Nick Foles, in a dang Super Bowl, is a guy who I want leading my team. Dude got a raw deal from Philly’s upper management and took the whipping like a professional. He didn’t throw anyone under the bus. He didn’t complain. He just knew that he needed 1 shot at being a HC again.

Do we have a Trevor Lawrence somewhere that I’m not aware of?
We all know QB is the most important position on a football team, and Jacksonville has a young, big QB with potential who seems to be improving, whereas the Saints don't. That said, Jacksonville was 3-14 last year and 1-15 in 2021 with Trevor Lawrence, and now they've just won a playoff game. Pederson has engineered a remarkable turnaround of the franchise in just one season. Contrast that with DA losing two more games than his predecessor despite retaining the core of Payton's team and almost his entire coaching staff. We're not moving in the right direction.

Hindsight says Loomis should have never let Pederson leave without a contract.

Not a good evaluation indicator for Loomis, based on (a) hindsight, (b) hiring DA and (c) his probable success when hiring any/all of our future coach(es).
Leave where his living room?
Pederson only had a zoom meeting. It was a sham search, DA had the job the moment SP told Loomis he quit. That's why we'll run it back with DA, Carmichael and Dalton.
Loomis doesn't have the backbone to make hard decisions.

It was never a genuine coaching search, DA was the choice and that's ok but now we have to keep improving and it's imperative we find that offensive coach that can breath new life in this offense and I think the best compliment to a DA defense is plucking someone from the Shanahan tree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom