Katrina Songs (1 Viewer)

Anthony

I've got a Halloweenhead.
Reaction score
The 10-year anniversary of Katrina is coming on fast.

For those of us from southern Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, are there any songs that you specifically assign as a "Katrina-song"?

I saw Andrew McMahon (Something Corporate, Jack's Mannequin) the other night, and his second song was "Dark Blue". The album came out the day Katrina made landfall, the song makes references cities being inundated with water. It was the one song I wanted him to play. And he got it out of the way early.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oQOIJDE3RhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Example:
[And then the water reached the west coast
and took the power lines (the power lines)
and it was me and you, and the whole town underwater
there was nothing we could do."]

Another, though this came out in 2011, is Ryan Adams' "Dirty Rain".

[Last time I was here it was raining
It ain't raining anymore
The streets were drowning
Waters waning
All the ruins washed ashore
Now I'm just looking through the rubble
Trying to find out who we were.]

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UySKAZDh60M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lastly, Springsteen at Jazzfest with his "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" pseudo-cover. This one is just overt, so no quotes needed. Also, it gets political. This is not a political thread, so let's keep that part out of it, if we could.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jYsSVNl8xmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The song I most connect with Katrina is Corrosion of Conformity's "Rise River Rise," released about a month prior to Katrina. CoC's frontmant, Pepper Keenan is from and resides in New Orleans. Pretty spooky lyrics.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Tns5szMhj74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom