Video Kay Adams: Did Saints QB Derek Carr Figure it out at the End of Last Season? (2 Viewers)

All we can do is hope, Kay.

I think so, the passer ratings he put up in the last 3-5 games were some of the best of his career one of them was his highest ever. He's going into his 11th year and he just turned 33...both master #'s. I think he's going to have an immaculate season barring injury.

What was figured out was the O-Line play.

As the line play improved so did his confidence to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions.

He doesn't have the processing skills that Brees had which often times made offensive lines better than they really were.

As the line goes, so does the play of the QB and ripples out to the skill positions.

Carr said it himself in his presser after the OTA's earlier this week, that he was on a learning curve last year where as everyone else was familiar with the offense and that this year everyone has a clean slate because they are all learning the offense together and its easier for him to step in as the QB (field general) and help guide players.

Last edited:
Brutal truth. NO…EVERY YEAR of his Raider career was exactly what we’ve seen from Carr. Only difference is we’ve only been privy to his fools gold style of play for a single season. Ask any TRUE Raider fan. Im in CA, & its all about the 9ers, Raiders, Rams & Chargers, in that order.

From the peeps i work & train with, they laughed at my excitement when we landed Carr. “He’ll break your heart”. “Dude is a rollercoaster”. “Carr gets coaches fired”. “He’s your guy’s mess now”. “Told you…Carr SUCKS”. Those are things i readily hear & have consistently heard since we’ve signed Carr.

I “hope” this new offensive staff can debunk 10years of proof that Carr is a mediocre QB at best. I hope he plays like the guy who ended the year. But then again, thats what Raider fans all sounded like year after disappointing year when Carr was their guy. Not trying to hate, but that’s exact insight ive heard from the die hard Raiders that i know. & what’s more, that’s exactly what im seeing from Carr. I have hope, but very, VERY, little confidence is Carr, sorry.

From the peeps i work & train with, they laughed at my excitement when we landed Carr.
It's not a coincidence that he had one of his best seasons under Gruden, and if given more time with Gruden, you probably see an even better Carr. I'm not saying he's elite, but regurgitating what an ex-fanbase says while simultaneously not acknowledging how bad some of those teams were isn't fair.

This is potentially, if Kubiak works out, one of the better teams he's been a part of on both sides of the ball. Again, not saying he's elite at all. But ignoring context to reinforcing your opinion doesn't suddenly make it right.

Brutal truth. NO…EVERY YEAR of his Raider career was exactly what we’ve seen from Carr. Only difference is we’ve only been privy to his fools gold style of play for a single season. Ask any TRUE Raider fan. Im in CA, & its all about the 9ers, Raiders, Rams & Chargers, in that order.

From the peeps i work & train with, they laughed at my excitement when we landed Carr. “He’ll break your heart”. “Dude is a rollercoaster”. “Carr gets coaches fired”. “He’s your guy’s mess now”. “Told you…Carr SUCKS”. Those are things i readily hear & have consistently heard since we’ve signed Carr.

I “hope” this new offensive staff can debunk 10years of proof that Carr is a mediocre QB at best. I hope he plays like the guy who ended the year. But then again, thats what Raider fans all sounded like year after disappointing year when Carr was their guy. Not trying to hate, but that’s exact insight ive heard from the die hard Raiders that i know. & what’s more, that’s exactly what im seeing from Carr. I have hope, but very, VERY, little confidence is Carr, sorry.

I think that's a bit over done and a bit of sour grapes from Raiders fans. Fans always overreact based on emotion and seldom know the true issues or causes for things.

Carr isn't amazing, but he's been at good starting QB for most of his career. He's not a guy who is going to consistently win games for you, and he might lose some for you on a bad day, but he's overall probably around the #10 QB on average per year. Sometimes a bit worse, sometimes a bit better. The last 5 or so games last year show what he is capable of and what he has done on occasion in his career. Problem is that he has those 5 or so great games, 5 to 8 mediocre games, and a few bad games every year. So, it seems unlikely he can hold that level over an entire season. At his age most guys are what they are.

There were times last year, even early in the season, that he won some games with big deep throws late in games. But, he also helped to get them into a position where they had to make that throw. His biggest issues have been lack of consistency and he's never been great in the red zone.

So, Carr may be what he is, but it's possible that the new system will help his consistency and if the new system brings the running game that it should bring, it will be a huge help and take the pressure off of Carr in the red zone by allowing the team to rely more on the running game and allowing Carr to use more play action in the red zone.

But honestly, if the defense can find any pass rush and clean up some of the run defense issues, all this team really needs is a better than average starting QB to win 9 or 10 games. Beyond that will depend on how good the pass rush is and if Carr can elevate his game in the new offense.

Derek Carr’s play is in between what we saw at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. Meaning he isn’t as bad as what he showed on the field for most of the year and isn’t as good as what he showed at the end of the season.

He is slightly above average and there’s 10+ years of film/data to prove it. He’ll only get worse as he ages, or slightly better at best.

He is slightly above average and there’s 10+ years of film/data to prove it. He’ll only get worse as he ages, or slightly better at best.
Truth. This is why it’s so important to have a solid ground game to go with a stingy defense if we want to win with him. He is not the type of QB who can carry a team, but he can get you 10 or so wins given the right situation.

Even last season with the terrible start and total lack of run game we managed 9 wins with Carr. I understand last year was disappointing, but it’s not like it was a complete disaster.

What was figured out was the O-Line play.

As the line play improved so did his confidence to stand in the pocket and go through his progressions.

He doesn't have the processing skills that Brees had which often times made offensive lines better than they really were.

As the line goes, so does the play of the QB and ripples out to the skill positions.
It's definitely this. The guy was on back a lot the first half of the season suffering injuries because of it. Once Penning got replaced there was a difference in line play.

The only issue I see for this season is that it's a new offense. Hopefully it doesn't take long to find our groove.

…It’s certainly brutal, I’ll grant you that

It's definitely this. The guy was on back a lot the first half of the season suffering injuries because of it. Once Penning got replaced there was a difference in line play.

The only issue I see for this season is that it's a new offense. Hopefully it doesn't take long to find our groove.
Actually, Penning going out really didn't change much because when you go back through the games, you would see more pressure coming from the right side. The O-line really changed after the blowup between McCoy and Carr. I believe they simplified protections, as you saw Carr doing less at the line after that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom