Match Up KWTPF Week 15 – Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First, I’d like to establish an important point about the remaining 4 games on the Saints schedule. Even though ours is considered to be a favorable list of opponents among the playoff hopefuls, we still do not control our own destiny for the #7 Seed in the NFC playoff race. Though the odds would be low that we would miss the playoffs by winning all four games, we could win out and still possibly find ourselves on the outside looking in. So… what are we looking at for the rest of the 2021 season that would make for a sweet finish in Who Dat Land? :scratch:

Keep in mind that this very situation is why KWTPF was invented in the first place. Since the beginning of our franchise on November 1, 1966, Saints fans began to dream of seeing their team in the postseason with the hope of championship glory. For many years that desire was merely the stuff of wild fantasies by those fans who found it easy to kick reality to the curb each football season. But those whimsical times did change; and dramatically so!

Eventually we no longer had to fantasize about just making the playoffs. Looking back at most of the last 15 seasons, when Saints fans would examine the final stretch of games on our schedule, the focus was more about such things as earning a #1 Seed and contemplating who we would get to conquer as we prepared to host playoff games in our beloved Superdome. Knowing that our team was often going into the ‘second season’ as a prohibitive favorite really made this time of the year sweet for all Saints supporters everywhere! But our current situation is reminiscent of the time when actually getting into the playoffs was still just a dream.

No one here is going to try and puff smoke up your posterior and try to convince you that we will get to Wildcard Weekend as one of the favorites to go all the way. We all know the score; and we’ve all adjusted our expectations accordingly. But personally, I cannot let go of those early dreams that we used to embrace back in the day. True, “just making the playoffs” may not be the wish of every Saints fan these days. This is because in recent years the goals have been so much higher. But lots of fans & players still consider a playoff berth as being (at least) one of their seasonal goals. And since nothing is guaranteed, it would still be a dream come true for many of us. Perhaps not quite as ‘sweet’… but certainly one we all should enjoy! :grin:

Panthers (5-8) at Bills (7-6) – If the Panthers were a ‘Let’s Make A Deal’ contestant, they clearly have chosen all the wrong doors as they try to find answers to a season that has had more twists than Chubby Checker. To the Saints’ delight, the tough schedule that is ahead for them should remove any chance that they will be a factor for the #7 Seed. But to help ensure that sad outcome for the Kitties, let’s pull for the Bills to finally bust their postseason balloon. Go Buffalo!

WFT (6-7) at Eagles (6-7) – I can already hear the booing & hissing at the suggestion I am about to make for this game. While I fully realize that WFT is the current holder of the #7 Seed in the NFC, I do believe it will be best for us to pull for these No Names to take down the Eagles in this NFC East showdown. The reasons should be obvious. First and foremost is the fact that we do hold the head to head tiebreaker over Washington. Since one of these two teams will be set back to 6-8, I feel that for now it would be best for Philly to take up that record. Secondly, WFT has a tough schedule ahead; which includes another game against the Eagles in Week 17. There is no crystal ball available to know for sure which of these teams will keep their head above water for a playoff berth, but for now it’s better for the Saints if the Eagles get a few feathers plucked this weekend. Go Washington ??????s!

Cowboys
(9-4) at Giants (4-9) – This game means very little in regard to the Saints playoff hopes. I don’t see much chance that the Giants could rise from the ashes and swipe a playoff spot from anyone. So, the best thing that can happen here is for the New Yorkers to give Saints fans everywhere a reason to smile by toppling the ‘Pokes while the sports media is fervently waving that Lone Star flag for America’s Team. Crush ‘em Giants!

Cardinals
(10-3) at Lions (1-11-1) – The way I see it anything that keeps the Bucs & Packers from getting the #1 Seed is okay by me! Sadly, the Cardinals took a hit on Monday Night Football by dropping one to the Rams, and that opens the door for the aforementioned teams to grab the top spot. Thus, we should give this win to Arizona and allow Detroit to have the consolation prize of the top pick in next year’s NFL draft.

Falcons (6-7) at 49ers (7-6) – This pick will be another tough pill to swallow. Yes, the Dirty Birds currently share the same record with us and also own the tiebreaker if head to head becomes a factor. However, we do have some control over what happens to Atlanta in the future. We don’t have the same versus the Niners. As things look now San Francisco has a much greater opportunity to earn a playoff spot than do the Falcons. In any game featuring two of the teams we love to hate, it’s hard to imagine having to pull for either team. For now, we really need to see things ‘pan out’ for Atlanta against the Miners. Just reflect back to the Saints’ old NFC West days. That’ll help get your thinking on the right track in this one!

Seahawks (5-8) at Rams (9-4) – With their victory over Arizona, the Rams are practically assured of being one of the playoff contenders. We can no longer ‘wish’ them out of the postseason. However, Sean McVay is going to need to be a crafty shepherd to have his flock finish strong with one of the toughest remaining schedules in the league. Crunching the numbers, it’s only slightly more advantageous to us if the Seahawks prevail in this one, primarily due to us owning the head to head over Seattle. Will the Rams get sheared down the stretch? Probably not. But if they do, it will have to start with a fleecing at the hands of the Seahawks. It wouldn’t bother me one bit to hand the clippers to Seattle and watch the fur fly! Pull for the ‘Hawks.

Packers (10-3) at Ravens (8-5) - his one needs no explanation. Anything to help wipe that cocky smirk off of Rodgers face is the way to go. Of course, we wouldn’t want to step on any toes. :hihi: Go Crows!

Vikings
(6-7) at Bears (4-9) – Besides our own game, this is the one that will have the biggest effect on the Saints playoff chances in Week 15. Realistically there is only two playoff spots up for grabs, and we need to keep the Vikings’ grubby hands off of them. A win by the Bears can improve the Saints playoff odds by nearly 10%. If any of you can think of one reason why we should pull for the Skol Brothers over Chicago, speak now or forever hold your peace. Really, it’s vital to pull for Da Bears in this one!

Saints (6-7) at Buccaneers (10-3) – What can we say about this game that hasn’t already been said about keeping the faith strong for our boys? We all understand the mountain that rises before us. We all know that on paper this doesn’t appear to be the best choice for a Sunday Night Football thriller. But what we can hope for is that somehow the Saints players & staff have saved some of their best stuff for this huge NFC South rivalry game. Will we see a good dose of healthy players take the field for the Black & Gold? Will those Covid swabs keep delivering more bad news on the testing front? Can our defense put the kind of pressure on Brady that will keep him guessing wrong all night? Will our offense be able to find the drives needed to build an early lead in this game, or will we continue to need another miraculous comeback just to look respectable in the waning moments of this game? We can only wait to see how much pride & motivation is left to give us a legitimate shot at winning this key game. Delivering an upset over the Bucs may be a bit too much to ask. But as we all know, sweet dreams are made of this very thing! :9:

Last edited:
Love these KWTPF narratives, Bill. This was another good job on your part.

I read and RE-read your 49'ers v. Falclowns paragraph. I guess I'm in the slow class, because I didn't see where you picked your poison.

You may have alluded to it, but I didn't pick up on it.

:gosaints:

Love these KWTPF narratives, Bill. This was another good job on your part.

I read and RE-read your 49'ers v. Falclowns paragraph. I guess I'm in the slow class, because I didn't see where you picked your poison.

You may have alluded to it, but I didn't pick up on it.

The phrase I used was "we really need to see things ‘pan out’ for Atlanta against the Miners". The inference was to go with Atlanta in this game... but my fingers just didn't want to type it. :hihi:

The phrase I used was "we really need to see things ‘pan out’ for Atlanta against the Miners". The inference was to go with Atlanta in this game... but my fingers just didn't want to type it. :hihi:
Oh... OK.

I guess I would have looked for you to say: "Pull for the Forty-Whiners to drop/lose this one."

No problem, Breaux. :ezbill:

I agree with each pick in this weeks games even the ATL SF game though I see that as more of a damned if you do, damned if you don't call. Too bad a tie in that games would likely help both of the teams and hurt the Saints.

I agree with each pick in this weeks games even the ATL SF game though I see that as more of a damned if you do, damned if you don't call. Too bad a tie in that games would likely help both of the teams and hurt the Saints.
Since we don't have the advantage of consulting a working crystal ball, we have to go with two important aspects to the formula for this game. One is that the 49ers are already a game ahead of the Saints and will obviously have the upper hand over us if they win out. The second is that we can control the advantage that Atlanta currently has over us by beating them in Week 18. Let's face it, if we don't handle that side of the deal, we aren't going to get into the playoffs anyway.

Since we don't have the advantage of consulting a working crystal ball, we have to go with two important aspects to the formula for this game. One is that the 49ers are already a game ahead of the Saints and will obviously have the upper hand over us if they win out. The second is that we can control the advantage that Atlanta currently has over us by beating them in Week 18. Let's face it, if we don't handle that side of the deal, we aren't going to get into the playoffs anyway.
Agreed, but if the Saints lose to ATL there will be some that say it was because we wanted them to beat SF. I never underestimate the fickleness of Saints fans.

Agreed, but if the Saints lose to ATL there will be some that say it was because we wanted them to beat SF. I never underestimate the fickleness of Saints fans.
Fan fickleness is not included in the formulas for KWTPF.
If we started doing that, we'd never know who to pull for. :hihi:

It’s a long shot but it’s been several years since we’ve had to rely on these things. 4 years of fighting for the 1 seed kind of spoiled us. This does make it exciting. It will certainly mean a lot of we can go on a run. I assure everyone this, every year there seems to be that 1 team left for dead that goes on a terror about now, so why not us?

The Bucs game this year is the 1 game in recent history I remember thinking we got some pretty good/ favorable calls. Not that we didn’t play hard and earn it, I just don’t expect to see that again with the way Brady had been raking in BS calls of late.

My gut told me after the Giants game that we would be haunted by that loss. Very well could end up being the case.

Go Saints!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom