Match Up KWTPF Week 8 - 'Math vs Emotion' (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let’s face it, no matter where you hang out (particularly if it’s anywhere in the world wide web) you are probably going to hear someone giving thoughts and/or opinions that differ from your own. But one of the things that makes these KWTPF write-ups an interesting read is that most everyone who is part of this online community has their own idea about which scenarios will give our Saints the best chance of being a participant in the NFL playoffs. And that's a good thing!

While we certainly use some general/common formulas to make these ‘pull for’ decisions, sometimes there are reasons other than ‘math’ that goes into our suggested picks. However, one method I tend to avoid when making my picks is ‘emotion’. You know what I’m talking about… “I will always hate [*insert most despised team here*] and I will never pull for them to beat any other team!” While that loathing has a place in other thread conversations, it doesn’t always work well in these KWTPF columns. Emotion is also involved when someone says, “I just have a feeling that [Team A] is going to get hot down the stretch while [Team B] is probably going to crumble with a tough closing schedule.” It’s just hard to make intelligent picks when ‘emotion’ is involved.

Example 1: Last week it would have been easy for some to suggest that they always want to see the Dirty Birds lose. But their last minute victory over the Bucs (who were both leading our division & owns a tiebreaker victory over the Saints) was definitely the best scenario for the Saints’ chances of moving up the division and the seeding ladder. Of course our call would have been different if the Bucs had been the division cellar dweller and the Falcons had the division lead.

When the basic formulas cannot be applied (such as the common AFC over NFC formula), we most often turn to ‘math’ as the deciding factor in our picks. But ‘math’ can work both ways. For instance, later in the season we may want an NFC team who is struggling for a wildcard spot to lose to a team that has more wins and is already (or very like to be) in the Top 7. It could be best if that struggling team falls to a division leader if it would allow the Saints (who may also be struggling) to fill one of those precious wildcard spots.

Example 2: On December 17th the Denver Broncos will be at Ford Field to play the Detroit Lions. There are several scenarios that could affect the way we should ‘pull’ in that game. If the Lions have already sealed the NFC North crown and the Saints cannot overtake their seeding, we may want Detroit to win to get a better ‘Sean Payton’ trade pick from Denver in Round 2 of the draft this spring. But if the Saints & the Lions are duking it out for a playoff spot, it’s likely that we will all be Broncos fans that weekend.

So yes, we want discussion. And we want the ‘math’ to be working in our favor as we near the end of the regular season. Of course we need to be realistic as well. And depending on where the Saints stand down the stretch of this season, we may have to resort to emotion & gut feeling. So… where you disagree, we invite your reply. :9:

Buccaneers (3-3) at Bills (4-3) - This is a big Thursday Night Prime Video game that will affect the Saints significantly. Not only do the Bills need a win desperately, but we need them to help put some distance between the Saints and the Bucs… in our favor! No doubt about this one. Thursday night will be time for Buffalo to spread their wings!

Texans (3-3) at Panthers (0-6) - It’s hard to wish any more heartache on the winless Carolina franchise, but there is little reason to send pity their way at this time. We can start pulling for them to win once we see them become a shoe-in for one of the top draft picks in April. If they were playing an NFC team this weekend it would be reasonable to pull for a Panthers win. But the better formula for now calls for a Houston victory. Go Steer Heads!

Rams (3-4) at Cowboys (4-2)How can we not infuse a bit of emotion into this pick from Jerrah World? Several possible issues come into play in this decision. One is: Which team would the Saints have a better chance of beating in the playoffs, the Eagles or the Pokes? Another would be: How much of a legitimate threat are the Rams to steal a wildcard spot? (I’m sure you have a few possible scenarios in mind that could affect our Saints.) However, it’s just too early in the season to know for sure how things will play out with these two teams. For now I’m just going to apply the ‘math’ that calls for pulling for the lower ranked team to win. Go Lambs. :run:

Vikings (3-4) at Packers (2-4) – It’s a shame that the Packers hold the tiebreaker over the Saints or else this would be a much easier pick for Saints fans. That said, I’m still going to suggest that we pull for the Packers to win since I see them as being a bit less of a threat to the Saints playoff chances than are the rejuvenated Vikings. Pull for the Pack!

Jets (3-3) at Giants (2-5) – As one of our easier picks of the week we will apply the ‘AFC over the NFC’ rule and pull for the Jets to win the Battle of the Yorkers. J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

Falcons (4-3)
at Titans (2-4) – Could there ever be a better time for the Titans to find their groove in Nashville than this week?!?! Now that Atlanta is riding high atop the NFC South the desire to see them crash & burn is once again at the top of my wish list! Let’s all pull for a genuine Tennessee Hoedown this Sunday!

Eagles (6-1) at Commanders (3-4) – I’m going full ‘emotion’ on this pick. I’m tired of seeing the Eagles dominate the NFC, and anything that keeps them from being the #1 Seed is okay in my book. I know that some will assert that the WFT could be a threat to steal a coveted playoff spot with a win this week, but I just don’t see their stock climbing. With all the season that is remaining, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Commanders have a successful bird hunt on Sunday!

Brown (4-2) at Seahawks (4-2) – This is an easy ‘pull for’ call as another interconference matchup gives us all a chance to watch an AFC team take a chunk out of a potential NFC playoff contender. Geaux Brownies! Pluck the ‘Hawks!

Ravens (5-2) at Cardinals (1-6) – This may be my Pity Game of the Week. It’s hard to imagine that the feisty Ravens will have a lot of trouble downing their Red cousins in the Grand Canyon State. But stranger things have happened in this crazy season. I’d rather see an earlier draft pick go to the Cardinals than the Panthers. So pull for Baltimore. (but I wouldn’t cry if the unthinkable happens.)

Bengals (3-3) at 49ers (5-2) – Absolutely no doubt about where we need to put our KWTPF energy in this game. Pull for Joe; not Brock! Maybe we can get another photo of Burrow pointing at his ring finger. Go Cats!

Bears (2-5) at Chargers (2-4) – Chicago seems to be on a bit of a high after winning two of their last three games. We certainly don’t need them to be floating on a cloud as they head back to the Windy City on Monday night. The Bears will be coming to the Superdome for Week 9 and it would be best if reality bit them hard in L.A. Go Bolts!

Saints (3-4) at Colts (3-4) – Despite the even records, this can hardly be considered a rematch of Superbowl 44 :covri: The only reality in this game will be how both teams know they will be sinking to a new low in their own division if they can’t find a way to put this game into their win column. With a win this week the Saints are right back in the division hunt and could even take the top spot with a win and some help from the Bills & Titans. Win or Lose the Saints will be proving some things to themselves this weekend. One of those things could be that the ‘math’ don’t lie. Too many more losses this year and the equation won’t add up to a playoff berth. Go Saints! :grin:

Last edited:
We'll get back to .500 and silence the critics for a week.
Then next week we will be upset at home to the lowly Bears and their 2nd string QB!!! Such is the mediocre year we are having!

Another pitfall is the "I'll never root for Player X" emotional reaction.

I'll even root for the Cowboys if their win would help the Saints. Also--and Bill alluded to it--tailoring your KWTPF pick to next year's draft positioning is probably a poor choice. One game at a time, one season at a time is a better outlook in my view.

Let’s face it, no matter where you hang out (particularly if it’s anywhere in the world wide web) you are probably going to hear someone giving thoughts and/or opinions that differ from your own. But one of the things that makes these KWTPF write-ups an interesting read is that most everyone who is part of this online community has their own idea about which scenarios will give our Saints the best chance of being a participant in the NFL playoffs. And that's a good thing!

I have a few different thoughts and/or opinions. Please hear me out.

While we certainly use some general/common formulas to make these ‘pull for’ decisions, sometimes there are reasons other than ‘math’ that goes into our suggested picks. But ‘math’ can work both ways. For instance we may want an NFC team who is struggling for a wildcard spot to lose It could be best if that struggling team falls if it would allow the Saints (who may also be struggling) to fill one of those precious wildcard spots.

I went against the basic rules of KWTPF in your Week 4 write up where you and I differed. I thought it best for the Saints that the 0-3 Panthers beat the 0-3 Vikings. They didn't. The Vikings have won 3 out of their last 4 to climb back into the race for the NFC North, and at a minimum, a Wildcard Playoff spot. They are now 3-4 and a direct threat to the Saints playoff chances. The Saints go on the road to face the Vikings in Week 10. That may shape up to be a Must Win for Both Teams.

So yes, we want discussion. And we want the ‘math’ to be working in our favor as we near the end of the regular season. Of course we need to be realistic as well. And depending on where the Saints stand down the stretch of this season, we may have to resort to emotion & gut feeling. So… where you disagree, we invite your reply. :9:

OK. Here's My Take.

Texans (3-3) at Panthers (0-6) - It’s hard to wish any more heartache on the winless Carolina franchise, but there is little reason to send pity their way at this time. We can start pulling for them to win once we see them become a shoe-in for one of the top draft picks in April. If they were playing an NFC team this weekend it would be reasonable to pull for a Panthers win. But the better formula for now calls for a Houston victory. Go Steer Heads!

The Panthers are now 0-6. They are already a Shoe-In for one of the top draft picks. Fortunately they don't own their 1st round pick but the Saints don't need them to have the 1st pick in the 2nd round. It would be best for them to win some games, in particular, their 2 remaining games against the Bucs, games against the Cowboys, the Packers, and the Falcons.

We should want them to win more games than Denver, to insure the Saints get the highest 2nd round pick possible. Without a doubt, the Panthers will not be a Playoff team this year.

Vikings (3-4) at Packers (2-4) – It’s a shame that the Packers hold the tiebreaker over the Saints or else this would be a much easier pick for Saints fans. That said, I’m still going to suggest that we pull for the Packers to win since I see them as being a bit less of a threat to the Saints playoff chances than are the rejuvenated Vikings. Pull for the Pack!

This we agree on, but, had Carolina beat the Vikings in Week 4 we may have thought differently. The Vikings remaining schedule includes the following 10 games: @Packers, @Falcons, Saints, @Broncos, Bears, @Raiders, @Bengals, Lions, Packers, @Lions. After beating the 49ers I doubt the Vikings fear anybody.

Now, pulling for the Packers to win moves them up to 3-4 and puts them in direct competition with the Saints while also owning the head to head tiebreaker. The Packers remaining schedule: Vikings, Rams, @Steelers, Chargers, @Lions, Chiefs, @Giants, Buccaneers, @Panthers, @Vikings, Bears. With what we think we know, Pull for the Pack.

Eagles (6-1) at Commanders (3-4) – I’m going full ‘emotion’ on this pick. I’m tired of seeing the Eagles dominate the NFC, and anything that keeps them from being the #1 Seed is okay in my book. I know that some will assert that the WFT could be a threat to steal a coveted playoff spot with a win this week, but I just don’t see their stock climbing. With all the season that is remaining, I wouldn’t mind seeing the Commanders have a successful bird hunt on Sunday!

I can't go emotion here. I'm going with the math. The Eagles are one of the better if not the best team in the NFC. We have to accept the reality that they will be a playoff team this year, division winner or a wildcard team. The  WFT is currently 3-4, already in direct competition with the Saints for a playoff spot. A win here keeps them on pace or could have them take a game lead over the Saints. Their remaining schedule: PHI, @NE, @SEA, NYG, @DAL, MIA, @LAR, @NYJ, SF, DAL. The Saints don't need the Commanders to win this week (KWTPF) but very well might need them to beat the Seahawks, the Rams, and the Cowboys down the line.

Just my thoughts and humble opinion. Thanks for inviting an alternative take.

Last edited:
I have a few different thoughts and/or opinions. Please hear me out. [You always have a platform here.]

I went against the basic rules of KWTPF in your Week 4 write up where you and I differed. I thought it best for the Saints that the 0-3 Panthers beat the 0-3 Vikings. They didn't. The Vikings have won 3 out of their last 4 to climb back into the race for the NFC North, and at a minimum, a Wildcard Playoff spot. They are now 3-4 and a direct threat to the Saints playoff chances. The Saints go on the road to face the Vikings in Week 10. That may shape up to be a Must Win for Both Teams. [Three weeks ago we were dealing with the 'here & now' of an early season. "Hindsight is 50/50."]

OK. Here's My Take. [You have the floor...]

The Panthers are now 0-6. They are already a Shoe-In for one of the top draft picks. Fortunately they don't own their 1st round pick but the Saints don't need them to have the 1st pick in the 2nd round. It would be best for them to win some games, in particular, their 2 remaining games against the Bucs, games against the Cowboys, the Packers, and the Falcons. [Without a first round pick it was easier to call for them to lose 3 weeks ago.]

We should want them to win more games than Denver, to insure the Saints get the highest 2nd round pick possible. Without a doubt, the Panthers will not be a Playoff team this year. [The evidence is clear that any chance they had is certainly gone.]

This we agree on, but, had Carolina beat the Vikings in Week 4 we may have thought differently. The Vikings remaining schedule includes the following 10 games: @Packers, @Falcons, Saints, @Broncos, Bears, @Raiders, @Bengals, Lions, Packers, @Lions. After beating the 49ers I doubt the Vikings fear anybody. [Perhaps we'll make a column about the importance of owning a crystal ball in the weeks to come.]

Now, pulling for the Packers to win moves them up to 3-4 and puts them in direct competition with the Saints while also owning the head to head tiebreaker. The Packers remaining schedule: Vikings, Rams, @Steelers, Chargers, @Lions, Chiefs, @Giants, Buccaneers, @Panthers, @Vikings, Bears. With what we think we know, Pull for the Pack. [I'm glad we agree here. Let's just hope the Packers don't become legit down the stretch.]

I can't go emotion here. I'm going with the math. The Eagles are one of the better if not the best team in the NFC. We have to accept the reality that they will be a playoff team this year, division winner or a wildcard team. The  WFT is currently 3-4, already in direct competition with the Saints for a playoff spot. A win here keeps them on pace or could have them take a game lead over the Saints. Their remaining schedule: PHI, @NE, @SEA, NYG, @DAL, MIA, @LAR, @NYJ, SF, DAL. The Saints don't need the Commanders to win this week (KWTPF) but very well might need them to beat the Seahawks, the Rams, and the Cowboys down the line. [I pondered this very scenario. The WFT is a tough read. They are capable of beating anyone or losing to anyone. And as you noted their schedule makes them an interesting team to watch. Since the season is not yet halfway over, I don't want to automatically give the Eagles the postseason BYE before getting to Week 9 of the season. But your reasoning is why I admitted that my pick was an emotional one. No doubt our view of many teams will be adjusted as the reality of their standings becomes clearer.]

Just my thoughts and humble opinion. Thanks for inviting an alternative take. [But of course! Don't you feel better now?!?!? :grin: ]
Opinions are like navels. (y)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom