Led Zeppelin Sued over ‘Stairway to Heaven’ Chord Progression (1 Viewer)

Didn't read it yet, but need to say.... Page is one of my favorite musicians.

Would pay lots just to have a few beers with him and listen to some of the stories...

I know at least two people who drank with him at bars in NOLA. Not sure if he's still ever around, but he used to have a place (Audubon maybe?) and had kids in town. But he used to just sit at the bar in a few places, IIRC.

Richard Cole says Page admitted he became addicted to heroin in the mid-Seventies, and his struggles with drugs and alcohol lasted for years: the Eighties are said to have been his ‘lost decade’. One friend who visited him said: ‘I’ve seen more movement in a Timex.’

And yet it was during those years that he met his first wife. It was in 1986 that he first encountered New Orleans waitress Patricia Ecker, fell in love at first sight and married her. Their son James was born in 1988, but the union did not last.

Read more: Why has a middle-class girl of 25 fallen for 71-year-old Jimmy Page? | Daily Mail Online

:worthy: air drums a cover of band in question while (successfully) claiming he was unaware of the matter at hand is awesome. Winking at Robert plant and dancing after testimony is what makes him jimmy page.

Time to find ITTOD with the really good bsides from CODA and enjoy an hour or so...

Sounds like a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a musicians stand point, someone who studied music in college, this whole thing is kind of silly. There are only a limited number of chords at your disposal. And those chords can only be placed together in a finite number of ways that make sense. Eventually, someone will write something that sounds similar to something else. Especially when you're dealing with similar genres. My personal opinion is that if it isn't blatant, let it fly.

That, and how many musicians hear something, remember it vaguely, and work some element into a song? I would assume a great many. Not work it in in a copyright sort of violation, but simply an inspired by sort of thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a musicians stand point, someone who studied music in college, this whole thing is kind of silly. There are only a limited number of chords at your disposal. And those chords can only be placed together in a finite number of ways that make sense. Eventually, someone will write something that sounds similar to something else. Especially when you're dealing with similar genres. My personal opinion is that if it isn't blatant, let it fly.

That's not how the law works though. Even if unintentional, you can't profit using something that someone else created/discovered. I bring up the Coldplay/Satriani case again. I doubt Coldplay even knew who Satriani was let alone intentionally stole his music. Yet they paid him to settle rather than face what was surely a losing case. I think this case is even more explicit and the actual connections and relationships of the musicians are incriminating.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvB9Pj9Znsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's not how the law works though. Even if unintentional, you can't profit using something that someone else created/discovered. I bring up the Coldplay/Satriani case again. I doubt Coldplay even knew who Satriani was let alone intentionally stole his music. Yet they paid him to settle rather than face what was surely a losing case. I think this case is even more explicit and the actual connections and relationships of the musicians are incriminating.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvB9Pj9Znsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah. I know that isn't how the law works. But this is one if those cases where I feel the law doesn't line up with reality.

Yeah. I know that isn't how the law works. But this is one if those cases where I feel the law doesn't line up with reality.

I tend to agree with you. But on the other hand, Page was physically at venues where that song was performed live - on multiple occasions. And he owned the record! Sure, he was at a lot of venues and owned more than 10,000 records, but I think that creative "borrowing" can happen at a subconscious level that the borrower might not even be aware of.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom