Looking to get a new camera.. NEED SUGGESTIONS! (1 Viewer)

Even after my talk about the pluses of my Olympus camera I can't deny that is one heckuva good deal.. That is some major glass right there.

But you still don't get image stabilization or dust removal for the CMOS.

BTW, I'll sell you my Olympus E-500 for $350 with one lens kit. If you're interested, just PM me. I upgraded to the E-510 a month ago...

Image stabalization I'm guessing is that if you're moving slightly the picture will still hold focus?

Image stabalization I'm guessing is that if you're moving slightly the picture will still hold focus?

Focus isn't the issue. When taking a picture, your hand tends to move just slightly. That can cause the light to run across the CMOS, thus blurring the image. This becomes a serious issue when using zoom lenses because you need the camera to be more stable when focusing on distant objects. Image stabilization corrects for this, to a point. Of course, a tripod will too....

Focus isn't the issue. When taking a picture, your hand tends to move just slightly. That can cause the light to run across the CMOS, thus blurring the image. This becomes a serious issue when using zoom lenses because you need the camera to be more stable when focusing on distant objects. Image stabilization corrects for this, to a point. Of course, a tripod will too....

ah I see... thanks for the info!

Might I suggest that you go to this site and register....photoSIG Main

Once registered, you can look at photos by various cameras.... use the "browse by camera" option, then select the camera you're interested in.. It;s a great site
. You have to register to be able to get the full image (non-registered users see thumbs), but the site is clean, no pop-ups or other annoyances to worry about. We're not really photography "nuts", but we enjoy this site , as I think anyone else would also.

Good thread, I've pretty much decided on the D40 as well. I just can't decide if I want to go with the lens that comes with it, the upgraded 18-135 lens, or the 2 lens kit (18-55 and 55-200).

I actually am buying two. One is for work where I'll basically be shooting commercial construction projects during construction phases.

My personal one will be for shooting the family (especially our 2 year old), vacations, my guitar collection, etc.

Any thoughts on the lenses, I'd love from the experts. I was definitely going to upgrade to teh SB400 flash for indoor shots per the Ken Rockwell site (what a great site and resource that is, convinced me to go with the D40 over the more expensive versions).

Spring for the D40x. Also, if you do decide to not go the DSLR route, I am seeing some great reviews on Fuji F100. I've even seen some reviews comparing it to lower-end DSLRs and it holds it's own to them. It is supposed to be what all of the F30 owner's been waiting for, a true upgrade. I for one will have to see that to believe it though, it's hard for me to imagine another compact cause me to put down my beloved F30, I can do some amazing things with it, especially using my tripod. There is a reason these things are selling used on EBay, more than 2 years after launch, for more than the original selling price. My point is that the F100 my live up to the hype on being a F30 replacement.

Say hello to the newest member of the Nikon D40 club. :9:

Got it from CC today.. got tired of waiting.

Camera kit with standard lens was 469.99, 2 gig card (faster storage speed?) 29.99.. im sure i could have gotten it cheaper, but oh well.. and I got the 4 year full coverage (accidental and defect) for 189.99

it totaled out at 729.. but I have good protection from anything going wrong with it so I'm happy.

Took a few quick pictures a few minutes ago.. it's amazing!! Will post some as soon as I get to my computer to download them.

Thanks soooooooooooooooo much for the advice ya'll.

I'm a rookie.

This is the first picture I took with the camera.

Attachments

• pic08-small.jpg
    pic08-small.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 54
Sweet! Have fun!

Feel free to post something here (it divebombed this month :hihi: )

http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69472

Will do.

Quick question for those of you with this camera..

Is there a way to make the live picture that you're looking at show up and stay on the monitor before taking the picture? As of now I have some diagrams telling me if the subject is too dark, etc.. this is straight out of the box and I had it set on Auto.

I haven't had much time to really read into the book much so I figured I'd just ask.

What setting to you guys normally keep the camera on?

Will do.

Quick question for those of you with this camera..

Is there a way to make the live picture that you're looking at show up and stay on the monitor before taking the picture? As of now I have some diagrams telling me if the subject is too dark, etc.. this is straight out of the box and I had it set on Auto.

I haven't had much time to really read into the book much so I figured I'd just ask.

What setting to you guys normally keep the camera on?

You have to frame the picture in the optical viewfinder, very few SLR's can use the screen as a viewfinder. If you are in auto and it says too dark, you probably just need to pop the flash up (it doesn't do it for you). When I am indoors needing a flash, I set it to shutter priority mode (S on the selector wheel) and set the shutter speed to 500 (that's as fast as it will let you set it with the flash up. The results were much better and sharper than auto mode.

Image stabalization is rarely needed, I almost never use it, creates more bad pictures than good, only use it in really low light conditions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom