LSU practice (1 Viewer)

It's not the height and weight, it's the power, explosiveness, and moves. Some of the best DE's and OLB's to ever strap on a helmet weighed 240 or even less. Vonn Miller now weighs about 250, but was not that heavy his first 2 years. Abraham and Ware were 235-240 when they were rooks.

Vonn Miller was 6-3 246lbs at the combine, Abraham was 6-4 252lbs, and Ware was 6-4 251 lbs.

Most of them I understand but at what position do you see Arden Key shining?

He's listed as a 6'6" 238lb DE!!
The same position Jevon Kearse played at 6'6" 260 lbs? Daytime Jones at 6'4" 270? Pernell McPhee at 6'3" 270 lbs? Cliff Avril at 6'3" 260lbs? Elvis Dumervil? Dwight Freeney?

IIRC, all of these guys entered the NFL with concerns about their size. They added weight, strength, etc as necessary. If you can get to the QB, you aren't going to let a little thing like 20 lbs stop you from being successful in the NFL. He's a young kid still, too. His body will continue to develop in the next few years.

LSU shifted to a 3-4 this year, and he's playing OLB. He still needs ~15 pounds, but he's a true sophomore, so he has time.
His role has actually shifted a bit over the first weeks of the season and Aranda has him with his hand in the dirt in 4-3 and 4-2 alignments now. He's not as comfortable in space as you would like for the desired role in a 3-4.

It doesn't matter. With his frame he will likely never be able to "bulk up".

He's Barkevious Mingo II. He was taken in the first round by the Browns and has 7 sacks in 4 seasons and even the Browns sent him on his way.

People wonder why in big games against teams with big offensive lines why LSU's front 7 gets pushed around and worn down well there's your answer.

I have nothing against the kid but 250 pound DE's don't make a living in the NFL.
I know there is desire to make that comparison, but Mingo is far more athletic and Key is a far better pass rusher. Mingo got by on speed alone. Key has a few moves, including a bull rush that catches the very large OTs by surprise. Mingo still isn't as good of a pass rusher as Key.

Disclaimer: Mingo and I are both WMHS alum, so there's no favoritism here.

Key is a football player and Mingo is not. This is the big difference here and why I think Key is going to be an absolute stud. IMO Mingo was completely mis used with the Browns playing as a 3-4 LB. He should have been a pass rusher with his hand in the dirt getting after the QB. Not dropping in coverage and doing all these things he has never done just because he was athletic enough to do so. The NFL is loaded with DEs who are as athletic as any LB in the NFL but that doesn't mean they will just translate an do all the things a LB does from the get go. Not that Mingo would have ever been great but having him get after the QB with his hand in the dirt would have at least given him a shot. His career is not over and he has the ability for things to click in the right system. I actually think he would be a good fit in our defense opposite Cam and with what we have it wouldn't hurt.

Man if only the Saints could pluck 3 defensive players from LSU we could potentially be a top 10 defense haha. Key, White, and Beckwith would fit in perfectly here and are exactly what we need. White is someone I'm definitely interested in with our 1st round pick depending on our draft slot and who is available.

Not LSU related but I think where we might be drafting Jabril Peppers is my top target. Put Peppers at WOLB and Anthony back at MLB would have us set at LB for a long time. Peppers is the kind of playmaker we need on our defense. IMO he's a much better Shaq Thompson who can play a role similar to Deone Bucannon. The versatility Peppers has is an instant game changer for any defense. When he's on the field you can play him at whatever position you want. If the formation calls for a CB, Safety, or LB he can play all 3. Everyone loves the 3 safeties so much and this kid gives you that or whatever else you want on every single play. Drafting Peppers and signing a stud DE in FA would instantly give our defense a huge make over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgosVbetQsY
Just watch this kid and the difference he makes for his team in one game. This is what our defense desperately needs. Yes I want Myles Garrett but if we don't pick 1st Peppers needs to be our target.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GSsji72yOnU
Highlight from the first half of 2016. Kid is incredible. He's a defensive Reggie Bush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom