Meanwhile Sean Payton is Sean Paytoning in Denver (2 Viewers)

his system is outdated
That's it.

A lot of people aren't able to zoom out and see the ebb and flow of things. There was a time in the NBA where bigs dominated the game. Can you imagine Shaq trying to play in today's NBA? Then other teams adapt and what used to work becomes obsolete.

There was a time the Payton offense worked. Anyone saying it was all Drew Brees ignores the fact that Drew just lost his starting job in SD before coming here. He didn't get bit by a radioactive spider during that off-season. Sean Payton was at the top of the game. Then teams adapted and figured him out.

It will eventually happen to Kubiak, too, unless he learns to adjust as defenses adapt.

It was use of the word good riddance. He also missed the context that I meant good riddance to the scheme, not everything Sean did for this city and team.

He’s also older and that generation views criticism of elders as disrespect. It was either discuss all the good or say nothing at all.

I get it lol, I understand and respect his view and how he got to it 100%. I’m also trolling him a bit too, like id do my dad who’s going threw a time in life where he’s more annoyed than usual.

Kind of how I knew he’d not take the age joke well. It’s all psychology
I thought SP evolved as a coach. Definitely ran the ball more as time wore on. See Ingram and Kamara...

I think the light will come on for the Broncos. Not sure when and if he’ll have that leash from ownership. I do think this would be his last hurrah if it doesn’t work out.

Successful long-time NFL coaches need to re-invent themselves and their teams from time to time.
For example, look at Andy Reid. He spent years in Philly always the bridesmaid never the bride. He goes to KC, refreshes his system, and voila.
Even Mike Tomlin took the ground and pound Steelers and had Ben Roethlisberger leading the lead in passing yards one year.

SP may not ever learn.

But you know if Denver fires him.and he wants the HC job back, FO will take him back in a heartbeat.
Payton would never put DA in that position. Coaches fraternity is a real thing. If DA didn’t work out they would take him back and I would too. Turns out DA is working out.

Funny how when a coach or player leaves no what the terms of their departure all of the past achievements and all they have done for their franchise is just trashed for no good reason.

I did not remember seeing this type of opinion when we were winning he was a genius.
All good things must come to an end.

I don’t really see people being disrespectful to Payton, but I do like this offense better…it’s really balanced. We can hit you from every angle on offense now…

I don’t think people are saying Payton was a scrub either…he was awesome most of the time but I remember a lot of us begging 🙏 to run the ball to kill clock. We didn’t and lost some games cause of it, cause he got “cute”….the guy did win us a Super Bowl.

This just seems more of friendly system to everyone on the offense.
It’s just more modern. The motion, how we utilize Taysom. There’s a reason almost half the league is running it and now that Pete’s no longer OC only Payton is running his scheme.

I thought SP evolved as a coach. Definitely ran the ball more as time wore on. See Ingram and Kamara...
Don't make me pull statistics and show you that Payton passes closer to 68% of the time and runs roughly 31% of the time. He might have a game or two where he's up and he runs it, but there's not a dedication to it. He's a pass to set up run coach.

It’s just more modern. The motion, how we utilize Taysom. There’s a reason almost half the league is running it and now that Pete’s no longer OC only Payton is running his scheme.

Don't make me pull statistics and show you that Payton passes closer to 68% of the time and runs roughly 31% of the time. He might have a game or two where he's up and he runs it, but there's not a dedication to it. He's a pass to set up run coach.
I get it. But, we had Drew Brees. Top 10 offense every season. There's nothing wrong with SP or his offensive system in my opinion. He adapted to Bridgewater and the host of QBs we had in 2021. I think SP's issues lie in talent evaluation.

I get it. But, we had Drew Brees. Top 10 offense every season. There's nothing wrong with SP or his offensive system in my opinion. He adapted to Bridgewater and the host of QBs we had in 2021. I think SP's issues lie in talent evaluation.
I understand you get it, however look at what he's doing w/ Bo Nix...who obviously isn't Drew Brees, but he's asking him to drop back at an overwhelming clip when he should be supporting him w/ the run. I get the defense of Payton, I do, but he hasn't adapted and the proof is in the lack of success he's had without Drew.

I understand you get it, however look at what he's doing w/ Bo Nix...who obviously isn't Drew Brees, but he's asking him to drop back at an overwhelming clip when he should be supporting him w/ the run. I get the defense of Payton, I do, but he hasn't adapted and the proof is in the lack of success he's had without Drew.
SP was 18-9 as coach of the Saints without Brees. Brees was a once in a lifetime QB. Let's see how SP's tenure at Denver ends before we pour dirt on him.

I think the problem for Payton, in addition to the more two high Safeties that Ellias mentioned, is that teams have been putting LBs on the field that are better in coverage and playing more 4-2-5 defenses as a base in response to offenses like Payton's that created mismatches for RBs and TEs by getting them on LBs that can't cover as well. The Shanahan/Kubiak scheme takes advantage of that by using outside zone runs against those DBs in the 4-2-5 and smaller coverage LBs. Eventually NFL teams will adjust again an it will be time for systems like Payton's to shine again.

I think the bigger issue that CSP has in Denver is he targeted the wrong QB.....I really don't think Nix is a franchise QB.....It's reasonable to expect him to struggle this year, next year will be more telling IMO.....

When Payton retires, I think he's going to want a GM job somewhere just like his mentor Bill Parcels. But, personally, I would not want Payton the GM. Payton head of scouting offensive players, maybe, but not as a GM.

I love CSP the HC, CSP the personnel decision maker not so much, he was awful at it.....thankfully he hired Jeff Ireland.....Don't think he is GM material honestly....

Can’t say I miss him one bit he didn’t adapt at all
The crazy thing is what he would be adapting to is declining QB play. The scheme isn't the problem; he had people open all over the field with Russ last season but Russ sucks at going through progressions. I think it is hard to tell someone "adapting means dumbing down your offense." I think Bo Nix will eventually find his way but he needs development and I know he didn't get a lick of it on the Plains...lol. (I love the Gus Bus tho...haha). CSP should have went with a vet and let Nix get acclimated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom