Michael Thomas vs. logic (1 Viewer)

GTSaint

Really?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so here is what seems like logic:

Everyone is saying Mike Thomas is the key for the Saints, so I am sure the Rams are spending a lot of time game planning for him.
Mike Thomas went OFF on the Rams last time, so the Rams will try something different this time. It is hard to repeat such a performance.
Talib is back for the Rams, so theoretically, the Rams have an improved backfield to help stop Mike.
Saints might try to use other receivers to beat the other guys on the defense, so MT might not get as many opportunities.

So logic seems to tell me that Mike Thomas should not have as great of a game as last time against the Rams.

But, I have a feeling none of that will matter, and Mike Thomas will once again go off on the Rams. I think there will be passes to other receivers, but I just have this feeling that MT will still be able to do what he wants to do against the Rams. Man to man, zone, it won’t matter. #cantguardmike

I am picturing the post game presser with McVey and the question being asked, “Why didn’t you double team Thomas?” And his only response will be, “We did. It didn’t work. Next question.”

Who Dat!!!

I am expecting a lot of bracket coverage with press at the line where they try to slow him down coming off and then release him with the press man shadowing under him with a man following him over the top as well. It could lead to some open looks for other guys, but if Brees is at his best, it wouldn't completely take him out of the game but instead may limit him to much shorter plays.

It's probably not very logical to think that Thomas will break the franchise receiving yardage record again.

That said, I hope your feeling is correct!

I agree. I think the Rams are going to whatever it takes to stop MT. That will create a lot of open space for the rest of the receivers to operate. I think we're gonna have guys running around butt naked open. Ginn could have a huge game if Drew can get it to him deep.

Talib is a very physical strong corner. MT is a very physical strong receiver. This will be a good match up. Both will win some. It's strength vs strength.

Peters on the other hand is a good-not-great cover corner, but he has ball skills. As long as the receiver doesn't get much separation or the pass is a little off target, he has a chance to go get it himself.

Ginn is fast and knows how to get over the top on corners. As long as the ball isn't under-thrown, Ginn vs Peters is a good thing for us.

TreQuan still hasn't mastered the nuances of creating separation. He's got some speed, but that alone won't get him open vs Peters. This is a pretty even match. It'll be up to Drew to throw TreQuan open and up to TreQuan to fight for and either win the ball and if not... play the defender to keep Peters from stealing it.

This is where the 'chess match' of football really comes to the fore. The Saints clearly know that the most logical thing for the Rams to do is to ensure that Thomas doesn't beat you by every means possible. But the Rams also know that the Saints will be expecting them to double up on Michael and feed other players where they may be a void in coverage. Thus they may give looks that they will have multiple defenders on Thomas, but will drop into a zone package that will keep the Saints from having open secondary receivers.

But if the offensive line can give Drew enough time to survey and find the open player(s), it won't matter much in the passing game. The Rams know that Drew can be effective with any guy who beats the coverage. Making sure that Thomas doesn't beat them could be the key to having Drew make a guy like Tre'Quan Smith look like a HOF'er!

The coach who guesses right most of the time could very well be the difference in moving on to Atlanta.

I think Kamara will have one of his best games ever, for the same reasons you stated. I believe they are so hell bent on stopping Thomas that they'll give Kamara plenty of opportunities in the passing game.

Michael Thomas is unstoppable. He is going to have another HUGE game. I have been following him since way back in high school and I know that his determination is so strong that he ALWAYS has his greatest games in the biggest games.

The Rams know that they really cannot stop MT and I expect him to be fully mugged. So it may not show as much in his postgame stats but prepare to see a TON of defensive holding, PI and personal fouls against the Rams secondary in this game.

Talib may be physical but he is no match for Thomas. They'll need the safeties helping so the run game from Kamara and Ingram should thrive as well as AK in the passing game. Ginn will leave Peters in the dust one on one as soon as they cheat up a safety to defend the run. Patience will rule the day.

Talib is physical.
MT is more athletic.
So after MT gets off the line. Talib will.challenge him there.
Then he will get open.
Might delay him a bit but can't stop him.

I think it all comes down to Donald and Suh if we can contain them like the first game from shoving up the middle we win big if not it will be a tough day.

I think it all comes down to Donald and Suh if we can contain them like the first game from shoving up the middle we win big if not it will be a tough day.

The bottom line... all comes down to this. Their D line versus saints' injured O line.

Ginn is fast and knows how to get over the top on corners. As long as the ball isn't under-thrown, Ginn vs Peters is a good thing for us.

TreQuan still hasn't mastered the nuances of creating separation. He's got some speed, but that alone won't get him open vs Peters. This is a pretty even match. It'll be up to Drew to throw TreQuan open and up to TreQuan to fight for and either win the ball and if not... play the defender to keep Peters from stealing it.

My guess is that Ginn is going to see quite of bit of Sam Shields instead of Peters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom