Mike Karney Comments on Bush (1 Viewer)

joeyseven

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
HK, Natchitoches LA, Bloomington IL, HK, Nashville
Many of you have mentioned this before.

"This is your job, you do it because you love it. You're not here because you like to do it. You're not here for the money. You're here because of the fact that you love the game. You're here to be the best player you can be. And to do that, it takes a lot of preparation."

Karney also brought up Bush's high profile off the field, saying, "He's living a whole different life than a lot of us in this locker room, and a lot of guys throughout the National Football League. He's got a lot of things on the outside that are pretty distracting.

"I think he does a good job of handling the distraction. But I think he knows he can do a lot better with it, and he will tell you that. And I think that just comes with maturity."

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1197011554295130.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Karney tells the truth!!! It's pretty obvious,even to us on the outside of the Saints organization!!!
When you have so many different things going on in your life,it is extremely difficult to excel in one area.

I like that alot. Bush needs to start being "one of them" this isn't "Reggie Bush and the New Orleans Saints"

Its "The New Orleans Saints" But you could get away with saying "Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints" because Drew is just the best thing that happened to the city football wise since the Dome Patrol.

To me, he sounds a bit bitter. If that's the case, I can't blame him.

I'm sure he's just speaking his mind and it's probably not meant to be any sort of bashing against Reggie, but some of the sideline looks that Karney gives him sort of tells me otherwise. It's gotta be hard to take on some massive DL just to spring your RB only to have him dancing and hitting the wrong side of the block.

I hope this isn't a more serious situation in the locker room that will eventually blow up.

maybe they should bring in a running back consultant like Sanders, Faulk

though as his production goes down his outside demand may go down too,

Karney tells the truth!!! It's pretty obvious,even to us on the outside of the Saints organization!!!
When you have so many different things going on in your life,it is extremely difficult to excel in one area.

Especially with a now (ex) girlfriend Kim Kardashsian saying that you were never girlfriend and boyfriend in the first place. She said as much on Ryan Seacrest's radio show in L.A. Things are not looking good for Reggie on or off the field right now.

Last edited:
I don't think he's being bitter. He's being honest, but he worded his comments carefully. This is what Reggie needs. He needs team leaders to set his head straight without dragging him over the hot coals.

You'll notice Karney basically points out what he thinks is wrong with Reggie's situation, but then takes time to say he think Reggie has handled it well so far and is still learning. Drew has been doing the same thing lately. You can't just pick on people, you have to try and bring them up. You do that by pointing out flaws in a way that is constructive.

I don't think the divide between Reggie and the rest of the team is nearly as large as some here would like to believe. Guys like Drew, Deuce, and Karney know Reggie is a good guy, but he's immature. They want to see him develop just like we do.

All of the comments so far have been "he's doing a good job, but he knows he can improve on this or that." Hopefully RB is smart enough to read between the lines and see that these guys want him to focus and pick his game up but are good enough teammates not to drag him through the media.

It is hard to blame reggie for going after all those endorsements. He was one of the most hyped players I have ever seen come out of college and the big companies all wanted a peice.

However, tis seems to be his biggest mistake. By getting all these endorsement, he has put a trmendous pressure on him to perform right out of the gate. He has had no time to learn, to grow, or get accustomed to his surroundings. Football is the ultimate team sport and he has a responsibility to be a part of that team, but doesn't have time for all that and we are seeing the reprecussions.

I glad KArney said this...

Especially with a now (ex) girlfriend Kim Kardashian saying that you were never girlfriend and boyfriend in the first place. She said as much on Ryan Seacrest's radio show in L.A. Things are not looking good for Reggie on or off the field right now.

thats not such a bad thing....she was a jump off...she's everybodys "jump off"...Diana Ross son (Evan Ross) is "with" her now.

Personally i dont care who dates who or doesnt for that matter. What I do care about is Reggie needs more carries and he needs to learn to secure the rock a little more. I love Reggie and I know he is a good athlete with great capabilities. If I were Reggie I would save all the hollywood stuff for off season only and work on my football problems during the regular season and mini camps.

I also love coach Payton. I personally think SP needs to run Reggie more. He is way too pass happy. He does not need to have Reggie run the cutsey plays right now. If he knows Reggie is having trouble holding theball and having some fumblitis going on make him work on it MORE during practice.

Karney needs to mention the same thing a lot of us has said. When Reggie gets the ball he needs to follow KARNEYS blocks more. More times than not if Reggie follows Karneys blocks he will get some great runs like AP in MIN.

So many people say Reggie is only getting x.x ypc but they are forgetting Reggie DOES NOT get the ball enough period.

/venting steam off

You're right, but you missed my point. She's another distraction that he doesn't need. Football Championships are won in the off-season. It's a year round business. If you have the wrong distractions around you, you lose focus on the big prize. Reggie needs someone in his life that understands he needs to strike while the iron is hot! This is a young man's sport and that his window for success is now. All of the late night hanging out with the who's who in Hollywood will come when he's in his mid 30's. He has to put in the work now.

You're right, but you missed my point. She's another distraction that he doesn't need. Football Championships are won in the off-season. It's a year round business. If you have the wrong distractions around you, you lose focus on the big prize. Reggie needs someone in his life that understands he needs to strike while the iron is hot! This is a young man's sport and that his window for success is now. All of the late night hanging out with the who's who in Hollywood will come when he's in his mid 30's. He has to put in the work now.

Tell that to Tony Romo, who seems to be dating a new Hollywood skank every week and spends his off days in LA in the club. Living a Hollywood lifestyle and playing good football have went hand and hand for many successful players.

thats not such a bad thing....she was a jump off...she's everybodys "jump off"...Diana Ross son (Evan Ross) is "with" her now.

But, it's another distraction that he doesn't need right now. He probably cared for the girl but she's being who she is. So with that being said, he needs a good woman in his life that understands what it is to stand by her man and support him no matter what! Keep in mind that Reggie is very young. It's easy to get distracted by the booty, which she has an infinite supply of.:worthy::mwink:

Tell that to Tony Romo, who seems to be dating a new Hollywood skank every week and spends his off days in LA in the club. Living a Hollywood lifestyle and playing good football have went hand and hand for many successful players.

Yeah, but Romo was not hyped up like Bush. Bush had people coming at him from all angles in college. So, he had instant pressure to perform at a high level in the NFL. Tony Romo came from off the bench. That's a big difference. The pressure of success for Reggie is magnified over Romo, believe it or not.

Dude, I would love to see Marshall Faulk mentor Reggie!

Great idea, even though it doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. Marshall does a very good job as an analyst in my opinion.

But SOMEONE needs to re-wire Reggie's brain. There are rarely gaping holes in the NFL. Everyone on the offense needs to execute near-perfectly just to open that litttle gap for a split second, and the RB needs to be there right at that moment.
I think the art of a RB reading and "feeling" and taking advantage of his blocks is under-appreciated. When you watch a truly great RB you can see how they are SO mentally in-sych with the blocking. They feel the play developing a second before the hole opens, so they can explode through it when it does. They also develop the nuances of movement and hesitation, which help manipulate the defenders, make it more difficult for them to make their reads, and in turn gives the blockers an advantage. Right now Reggie doesn't show any of these skills, and he doesn't have that "connection" with his blockers. He's fast, he's got moves, he even shows some power, but he has a long way to go in learning the ART of running the ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom