Mike Mayock says Taysom Hill could replace Drew Brees in future (1 Viewer)

The deal is on the table. Hill is gets to be developed by Payton, Carmichael, and Lombardi (and Drew). He also gets real and meaningful snaps in the NFL with a real and meaningful role on a championship caliber team in the meanwhile.

In return, Sean Payton gets the ultimate utility player that contributes on offense and special teams. A guy that can play a position on kickoffs, kickoff returns, punts, punt returns... while also giving him a piece to move around on offense as a QB, RB, WR, TE, and even wing-back.

Having Hill on the team, doing all those things, does 4 MAJOR things. It frees up roster spots, allows offensive and defensive starters who would have to normally play those special teams snaps extra rest, and it gives the offensive genius, Sean Payton, a gadget weapon to play around with.

The 4th thing having Hill does is force opposing defensive coordinators to do extra work each week accounting for all the packages Sean designs for Hill. Any time you can make an opponent do extra work, extra planning, extra practice... it's a good thing.

Will Hill ever be a starting NFL QB? Who knows. But a lot of the time, talented QBs never get the chance to really get the development they need due to roster limitations. If Hill ever does become a starting QB, it's going to be because he was able to stay on a team for years, getting that development.

It's really a win-win for everybody except for the other 31 teams.

Dutar - that may be the best and most in-depth real analysis of Taysom Hill's realistic chances to contribute and possibly be our starting QB someday. Thanks much

One thing that is being missed here. TH7 has to be a part of different meetings every day at practice. He shares time between the QB, RBs, and STs meetings. On the practice field, he’s not throwing to our starting WRs and he shares his time on the practice field once again with STs. If he got the opportunity to solely focus on being a QB, he could very well be our starting QB

Good point if we can get Hill honed in and polished I don't see why he wouldn't have a good chance to develop and start. The pass to Kamara was a thing of beauty sadly it was called back but it was done effortlessly and right on the money. Taysom has the potential to be what we need after Drew a good solid QB. I think Taysom could fit that but the option of Bridgewater is a bit more interesting to me at this time. Taysom adds strength and big play ability outside of being the starting QB I think it depends on whether we keep Teddy which is the way I think Sean wants to go.

Sorry, I just can't let someone off the hook for not knowing who Mike Mayock is. I can't tell if I'm being trolled/leveled, or if he's being sincere.

Sorry, I just can't let someone off the hook for not knowing who Mike Mayock is. I can't tell if I'm being trolled/leveled, or if he's being sincere.
He's (I'm) sincere. Couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup, even after looking him up on wiki. And to another poster, yes, I've watched an NFL draft or two, but with no real interest.

Still don't care about MM's opinion on TH because, opinions. But I was right about him being a talking head the majority of his career.

Guy may have real insight, but far as I can tell he's never worked in team ops, so good luck to him and the Raiders.

He's (I'm) sincere. Couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup, even after looking him up on wiki. And to another poster, yes, I've watched an NFL draft or two, but with no real interest.

Still don't care about MM's opinion on TH because, opinions. But I was right about him being a talking head the majority of his career.

Guy may have real insight, but far as I can tell he's never worked in team ops, so good luck to him and the Raiders.

His annual mock draft is pretty much the NFL fans’ bible of player scouting. In a sea of people who are just talking heads, he actually knows what he’s talking about.

That's a really good point you are making. imho, I think Mayock was one of the top judges of talent among the talking heads. But as you pointed out, does he have the interpersonal skills required to be a GM? I suspect that Gruden is like SP where he is the real GM and Gruden can put MM into a very thin and well defined role as essentially chief talent scout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom