Mike Mayock... "There are no Safeties in the 2008 draft worth a 1st round pick." (1 Viewer)

I think our love for Phillips has more to do with our dislike for the guy that currently plays the position... I'd take Ellis (dreaming that he falls) or Rivers... after the Senior Bowl my wish list will probably change...

Maybe. Either way hes a great Safety.

Right now my "what I want" draft is Rivers in the first, Mayo in the second, best CB in the 3rd. But if Rivers is gone I want Phillips.

(Actually I'd want Ellis in the 1st, but I think thats impossible barring a serious tradeup.)

Mayock... ah the vivacious vestibule of wisdom; a visionary; a veritible vicarious GM wannabe

Last edited:
And Mel Kiper has Keith Rivers and Dan Conner going 30 and 31. These draft gurus are just trying to go out on a limb to hopefully look smart. I'll be my left nut Phillips goes in the top 15.

I'll take the nut bet.

I just want a draft with "NFL ready" players, not a bunch of "small school projects". I know we struck gold with Evans and Colston, but last year was the complete opposite.

who says Kenny Phillips is worth a top ten pick besides people on this board anyway? he's a safety, you spend first round picks on QB, RB, WR, OL and Linebackers, safetys hardly ever go that high with the exeption of Taylor, Whitner and Reed.

When you watched Sean Taylor in college at Miami every game he would blow your mind with plays.

Kenny Phillips does not do that.

who says Kenny Phillips is worth a top ten pick besides people on this board anyway? he's a safety, you spend first round picks on QB, RB, WR, OL and Linebackers, safetys hardly ever go that high with the exeption of Taylor, Whitner and Reed.

Theres been a Safety (2 in 2005) selected in the top 10 every year since 2002. Every one has turned into a vital part of their defense, except maybe Micheal Huff who I'm not familiar with.

Mayock's comments aside, I've always wondered why people liked Kenny Phillips so much. I think it just kinda became popular for people on this board to put him in their mock drafts, simply because we need a safety.

I haven't heard him mentioned as anything earlier than a mid to late first round pick. I think a lot people fell in love with him because he plays for Miami. Had Sean Taylor and Ed Reed not come from Miami, I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten that kind of love on his board.

And Mel Kiper has Keith Rivers and Dan Conner going 30 and 31. These draft gurus are just trying to go out on a limb to hopefully look smart. I'll be my left nut Phillips goes in the top 15.

If Kenny Phillips doesn't get picked in the top 15, Bonchie is going to be in serious pain. I want that nut in a jar son.

Theres been a Safety (2 in 2005) selected in the top 10 every year since 2002. Every one has turned into a vital part of their defense, except maybe Micheal Huff who I'm not familiar with.

Just because there have been some good ones, doesn't mean you pick Kenny Phillips on that. Kenny Phillips is not LaRon Landry, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor. To tell you the truth he is probably comparable to Huff, who hasn't seen much success yet.

Mayock's comments aside, I've always wondered why people liked Kenny Phillips so much. I think it just kinda became popular for people on this board to put him in their mock drafts, simply because we need a safety.

I haven't heard him mentioned as anything earlier than a mid to late first round pick. I think a lot people fell in love with him because he plays for Miami. Had Sean Taylor and Ed Reed not come from Miami, I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten that kind of love on his board.

Google nfl mock draft 2008. Most big draft sites have him top 15 so no its not just "people on this board."

As for the Miami thing, that can be said about about Dan Conner or Laurinitis if he had declared. Both are outpaced statistically by several LB's rated below them. Do you think the fact that they went to schools renound for putting out solid LB's hasn't helped their stock?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom