OT OLI UDOH
ELON

231: R7P17
DB JAMAL PETERS
MISSISSIPPI STATE

244: R7P30
FB ALEC INGOLD
WISCONSIN

Finally made myself go through an entire draft on fanspeak... usually by now, I've done it 100 times. Sad year not having many early picks.

62: R2P30

WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA STATE
168: R5P30

WR MECOLE HARDMAN
GEORGIA
177: R6P4

TE FOSTER MOREAU
LSU
202: R6P29

DL ED ALEXANDER
LSU

TE ZACH GENTRY
MICHIGAN

RB BJ BLUNT
MCNEESE STATE

Granted, I dont know many late round prospects so I just went with what I know. That's how I ended up with Alexander to compete with stallworth and Blunt to compete with washington.

But look at the top... butler and hardman would be a grand slam. No way hardman falls to the 5th, but he was there so I took him. I'll just pretend that we traded up to get him., which is all that far fetched. In one draft I got our #2 WR for the next 4 years and ginn's eventual replacement.

Also 2 really nice TEs to groom.

Bj blunt is interesting. He was a flat out beast for mcneese. Very Pierre Thomas-esque.

Last edited:
I think personally think we'll manage to trade up and/or get an extra pick in the top 100 somewhere. But I have no idea how we'll do it or what we'll give up to get there. Any ways, here's a post combine/pro day mock taking into consideration what we've done in FA so far.

RD2(62) TE Kahale Warring SDSU
We got Cook, but he’s 32 and on a short term 2 year deal. Warring totally has all the traits of future superstar, especially if he were under the tutelage of a coach like Sean Payton. Coming into the league, Warring has Jimmy Graham-type skills as a receiver, but is a vastly developed run blocker. What’s more, is Warring runs very nuanced routes and can beat coverage w/either his route tree and/or his god given athletic ability. Plus, Payton’s an innovator of offense. W/Drew getting up there in age, and given the shift in philosophy over last two seasons, I can see us evolving into an even more explosive version of a ball control offense w/a talent like Warring on the field w/Cook. Two TEs who can block, line up in the slot, attack the seams and get vertical would be a new look, but would fit the direction the O seems to heading towards. As much as I want a big ticket WR Like H Butler or N’Keal Harry, I dont think they’ll be available, plus, we already have a bunch of guys at that position. Meanwhile, our TE position is pretty average after Cook. In terms of a playmaking receiver and a true TE, drafting Warring would cover both those needs.

RD5(168) S/DB Marvell Tell USC
Tell would be a great fit as a developmental S/DB. The dude is big, pretty rangy in coverage, and will splash hit a ballcarrier when given the opportunity. They knock his consistency and tackling ability vs run, but I think Tell’s issues in this area are more tech related and a lack of strength vs effort and willingness to engage. These are coaching/training fixes. Tell plays deep center, covers the slot, and is a good blitzer. He reminds me a lot of Vonn Bell coming into the league, but in a bigger more explosive frame. I think he can be groomed into a future starter, but worse case scenario, Tell would be core player covering kicks/punts on ST.

RD6(177) WR Cody Thompson Toledo
I think if Thompson had a better QB, he’d be in the conversation as one of the top slot WRs in the draft. He reminds me of former Saint and fellow Toledo Alum Lance Moore. Thompson's route running and short area quickness would make him a nice fit as a developmental slot receiver in our O. Plus, he has some RAC ability and has underrated speed/acceleration in the open field. They question his hands, knocking him for a lot of body catches. But here’s the thing, Thompson doesnt drop many balls. Michael Irvin said “hands catches” are overrated, as long as the guy’s consistently making catches, it doesnt matter how reels them in. Like Tell, at the very least, Thompson will be a killer covering kicks/punts on ST.

RD6(202) EDGE/DE/DL/OLB Jalen Jelks Oregon
After a breakout season as a 5tech DE, Jelks was moved to OLB in 18 where he saw his production numbers fall off. Though he showed the ability to drop into coverage while keying and playing the run, Jelks’ best traits are as a pure pass rusher and attacking w/vertical pressure. He also clocked his fair share of snaps at DE as well as NT. In my opinion, his ability to play multiple positions both helped, and to a degree, hurt him last season. Jelks has a good bull rush, a nice slap/swim, and has a way of getting skinny to knife through gaps and double teams. But he is still raw and has a ton of untapped potential as a pass rusher. He needs to get stronger and learn to use his hands and natural length. For the most part, those are coachable/trainable negatives. In my opinion, on the right team w/the right coaches, Jelks could easily evolve and way out play his draft position.

As a hybrid LB:

As a DL:

RD7(231) OT/OL Brandon Hitner Vilanova
Saints recently met with Hitner after he pretty much aced his pro day. He’s a big athletic dude who has played both OT and OG over his college career. Those traits and experience would make him great fit to play Swing OL and eventually transition into a potential starter at either OT or OG.

RD7(244) OG/OL Iosua Opeta Weber State
In a similar vein as Brandon Hinton, Opeta has slowly been creeping up boards since the Collegiate NFLPA Bowl. He displayed very good athleticism at the combine, and even improved some of those numbers at his pro day. Opeta plays OG but also has experience at OT. He would be a nice fit as a Swing OL and could ultimately develop into a starter inside at OG.

Last edited:
Joodas... you gave me my 2019 draft crush in Warring. Like this dude.

3 years ago my guy was Mike Thomas (got my wish there)
2 years ago it was Taco Charleton (I'll get dead falcons for even typing that name I'm sure)
Last year it was Davenport although I was shocked we were able to move up and get him. Never dreamed we'd actually do what it took.

I like Warring and evidently our team has him on their radar. I am wondering if we could draft one of those stud WRs at 62 and move back up to get Kahale??? Too much to hope for?

Joodas... you gave me my 2019 draft crush in Warring. Like this dude.

3 years ago my guy was Mike Thomas (got my wish there)
2 years ago it was Taco Charleton (I'll get dead falcons for even typing that name I'm sure)
Last year it was Davenport although I was shocked we were able to move up and get him. Never dreamed we'd actually do what it took.

I like Warring and evidently our team has him on their radar. I am wondering if we could draft one of those stud WRs at 62 and move back up to get Kahale??? Too much to hope for?
I guess mine were/are:
2017: Marshon Lattimore (thought he was top 5)
2018: Leighton Vander Esch
2019: Deebo Samuel / Dawson Knox

I want to throw a Saints-only mock draft out there, and this thread seems perfect for it. Dang... Saints really don't have much to work with after seeing it laid out... 2nd round, 5th round, two 6th rounders, and two 7th rounders.

2nd round - Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State: Former Safety is very athletic and covers well in space. Depth at LB is an area of need and if he's there, I believe Pratt would be BPA.

5th round - Foster Moreau, TE, LSU: Solid run-blocking TE with the potential to develop into a receiving threat outside of LSU's archaic offense.

6th round - Chris Johnson, FS/SS, N. Alabama: Tall rangy Safety prospect with track speed and strong make-up. Depth at both Safety spots.

6th round - William Sweet, OT, UNC: Swing Tackle and developmental depth prospect.

7th round - Corbin Kaufusi, DE, BYU: Massive developmental DE prospect.

7th round - Tony Pollard, RB/WR/KR, Memphis: Love this kid as a prospect for the Saints.

Clayton Thorson QB

Strengths:

• Accurate passer
  • Strong arm
  • Can make some brilliant throws into tight windows
  • Can throw a hard fastball into tight windows
  • Able to loft in touch passes
  • Throws a catchable ball
  • Can throw receivers open
  • Good size, build
  • Stands tall in the pocket
  • Moves his eyes
  • Works through his progression
  • Good field vision
  • Doesn't miss open receivers
  • Shows good timing
  • Anticipation
  • Very experienced; most starts in Big Ten history
  • Smart
  • Great intangibles
  • Good teammate who can talk to all parts of locker room
  • Toughness; played banged up
  • Adept on converting QB sneaks
  • Lifted his team to wins, and program to new heights
  • Can put the team on his back and make comebacks
  • Quality athlete
  • Has more mobility than many realize
  • Good size for a NFL starting quarterback
  • Lots of upside
Weaknesses:
  • Can be mechanical in delivery
  • Can have some ugly missed throws
  • Revolving coaching door led to a lack of some basic development
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019cthorson.php#IA3OezAeIiM33B1P.99
I really like this kid. Good physical tools. I really think when its all said and done he will have the best career of this class. I really like how he elevated lesser talent around him. Heck he got Northwestern in the big ten title game. Stats are little misguided with him because of the low talent level of the roster but if a play had to be made he had to make it or they didnt have a chance to win. So there alot of hero ball and him taking chances on tape.

It’s that time of the year again! Draft season is easily the very best part of the NFL offseason. As of today, we only have a single pick in the top 100 and a handful of day 3 opportunities. Given our history, I wouldnt be surprised in the least if we somehow got into the 1st RD, but who knows. W/that one selection in the first four rounds of the draft, I think we’re gonna have to have to swing for the fences a bit. I believe that we’ll be more active than usual in FA this year, given our situation. I think WR, OL, TE, and DT can be addressed in FA leaving us to draft the BPA. But at the same time, drafting so late on day 2, it’s difficult to foresee who may be there for the taking when we’re on the clock. That being said, I’m a fan, and no matter how little or a lot a team has in terms of draft picks, fans love mock drafts! Curious to see where everyone's at, who are their fav prospects, and what guys on your rader, etc. Post your respective mocks here, and here we go...

RD2(62) DT Khalen Saunders Western Illinois
At the Senior Bowl, Saunders proved that he was just as good as the more known prospects from the bigger name programs. That dude dominated in 1on1’s and was consistently disruptive in the game itself. The man is insanely agile and explosive for stoutly built 320 pounder. From what I’ve seen, Saunders is capable of both 1 and 2 gapping. Saunders lines up and plays 3tech, the zero(NT over the Center), 5tech in an odd front, and even stands up and rushes out of an OLB stance. In other words, the dude is versatile enough to be used in a bevy of formations. He uses his hand attacks well, is explosive and brutal at the POA, has a nasty slap and swim move, disengages and quickly breaks free from blockers, and blows guys up in impact. He’s a force against both the run and pass. I think he fits our D perfectly, due to his ability to play both NT and pressure DT. He’s very similar to Sheldon Rankins.

RD5(168) TE Zach Gentry Michigan
Gentry is a 6’7 combo TE who’s a solid blocker and is a budding receiver. Last year, he made a lot of plays in the passing game, particularly in the seams, and showed the ability to get down field for huge chunk plays. The man is a 50/50 ball monster. He’s showed the ability to block, but def needs to get stronger moving forward. I think Gentry is the type of prospect that fits our O and could develop into a major factor on 3rd downs and in the RZ.

RD6(177) OT/OG/OL Chuma Edoga USC
Edoga would be a perfect Swing OL prospect. He was an OT at USC and was a mean spirited nasty run blocker for them. He also showed at the Senior Bowl that he could go heads up w/all those pass rushers and win consistently against them. From what I’ve seen, Edoga’s major negative is his footwork off the snap. He takes false steps and has an odd kick slide. But he looked to have improved on that a lot at the Senior Bowl, which leads me to believe that that issue can be fixed in the pros w/coaching.

RD6(202) EDGE/DE/OLB Maxx Crosby Eastern Michigan
You can never have enough pressure playing QB hunters on your roster, and Crosby totally fits that bill. On the field, Crosby has a ton of length and that disruptive edge bending style that the teams covet in a pass rusher, and also has the stats to match. Given the fact that we may lose AO in FA and have very little depth behind Cam and Davenport, a player like Crosby would be a nice get. I think Crosby’s a major sleeper, and would love to seem in black and gold doing his thing for us.

RD7(231) QB Jordan Ta’amu Ole Miss
If we lose Teddy in FA, I think finding a back up option will be a must. I love Taysom, but not so much as a full on QB. A dude who offers a similar skill set on the run, but a lot more in terms of a passer is Jordan Ta’amu. He’s the quintessential RPO QB and would be the perfect prospect for Sean Payton to develop. Ta’amu is more than just a runner, though. He’s very accurate at every level of the field and throws a beautiful deep ball. He still needs to see/read the field better and needs learn how to go through his progression. But that’s where the coaches, playbooks, film, and experience comes into play.

RD7(244) WR John Ursua Hawaii
W/Merrideth, Tre’quan, and Kirkwood already on the roster, I think we have the makings of a solid group. But a lot of that hinges on health and development, which isnt a given. On that note, bringing in young talent never hurts. John Ursua would be a great fit in our O. He’s a bonafide slot w/big play potential. Guys like Ursua have excelled in our O over the years. I think he’d be the perfect late round huge upside guy to close our 2019 draft.

Good write up. I think Crosby kind of sucks lol. Traits prospect. Mainly lenght and flashes flexibility. No core strenght though. Heck the Purdue Line man and the TE taking him for a ride down field alot more then he makes plays. He wouldn't be on my UDFA list

2 (62) DL Zach Allen, Boston College
Trade: 2020 2nd to Packers for #75
3 (75) TE Dawson Knox, Mississippi
5 (168) WR David Sills V, West Virginia
6 (177) LB Cole Holcomb, North Carolina
6 (202) CB Stephen Denmark, Valdosta State
7 (231) RB Mike Weber, Ohio State
7 (244) FB Alec Ingold, Wisconsin

Last edited:
Andy Isabella, WR, UMASS

Foster Moreau, TE, LSU

Chris Johnson, FS/SS, N. Alabama

Michael Deiter, OT, Wisconsin

Cody Barton, LB, Utah

Patrick Laird, RB, Cal

I'm going to modify my picks a little.

62:R2P30
QB WILL GRIER
WEST VIRGINIA
There are numerous picks that I would like here, but I've started to love the idea of drafting Will Grier with this pick. The Saints have shown a lot of interest in Grier. He may not be quite as pro-ready, but he is eerily similar to Baker Mayfield. They also both have the QB intangibles you can't teach: being a strong competitor and leader. Grier had a great showing in the SEC for Florida as a freshman before he tested positive for an illegal, over-the-counter supplement. Since then, he transferred to West Virginia and has had a solid career. He had a completion rate of 67%, 37 TDs, and 8 INT as a senior. Grier and Mayfield's measurables are nearly identical:
Grier:
HEIGHT- 6'2"
WEIGHT-217
ARMS-31 1/2"
HANDS-9 3/8”
40 Yard Dash-4.84
Vertical Jump-34.0"
Broad Jump-112.0"
3 Cone Drill-7.09
20 Yd Shuttle-4.28

Mayfield:
HEIGHT-6'1"
WEIGHT-215
ARMS-30 1/4"
HANDS-9 1/4”
40 Yard Dash-4.84
Vertical Jump-29.0"
Broad Jump-111.0"
3 Cone Drill-7.0
20 Yd Shuttle-4.28

Like I said, I don't think Will Grier is quite as pro-ready, but, measurably, he is a more athletic Baker Mayfield, except Grier is 1" taller and arms 1" longer. Athletically, he's Mayfield without the knock for height/arm length. He also has the intangibles: strong competitor, and a leader.

"Seamless technique in his drops. Smooth operator. Has the ability to read the defense and deliver the ball with a quick release. Possesses the necessary arm strength and generates enough torque to fit the ball through intermediate windows and holes in the defense. Can throw with touch to all areas of the field. Accurate in the short and intermediate areas of the field. Aware of leverage and can hit back shoulder throws. Thrives driving the ball up the seam. Mobile in the pocket and has the athleticism to move out of structure. Off-platform throws or on the run throws are still accurate. Can offer an additional dynamic with his above average athleticism and mobility. Passionate leader. "
thedraftnetwork.com

168: R5P30
WR HUNTER RENFROW
CLEMSON
I bumped Hunter Renfrow to this pick because I don't think he lasts until Round 6. The Saints were highly interested in Adam Humphries this offseason, who I wanted the Saints to sign, but he was too expensive. Draft his clone in Hunter Renfrow. Renfrow is an average athlete, but he has incredible hands and route running ability. His stats against Alabama in 2 National Championship games: 17 catches, 180 yards, and 4 touchdowns. He was appropriately named Mr. Clutch. Renfrow was also very impressive at the Senior Bowl. He is exactly the type of slot receiver we need to move the chains on 3rd down.

177: R6P4
TE FOSTER MOREAU
LSU
There are numerous TEs I would not mind with this pick. To name a few: Kahale Warring, Isaac Nauta, and Zach Gentry.

Moreau has proven he is an excellent blocker, which hindered his production at LSU because he was used primarily as a blocker. But, when his number was called as a receiver, Moreau has shown he has exceptional hands and is a reliable receiver. Moreau showcased his receiving abilities at the senior bowl.

Although Isaac Nauta didn't test well, I still like this pick. He plays faster than he tested and he is very Jeremy Shockey like with the ball in his hands making defenders pay.
"With his play speed, ability to maintain separation and ready-steady hands, Nauta fits the mold of a "matchup tight end" with the ability to factor in on all three levels. He doesn't need scheme help to uncover against man coverage and has potential to become a solid move blocker to help elevate the perimeter run game. " https://www.nfl.com/prospects/isaac-nauta?id=32194e41-5534-7951-4697-102c243eb698

202: R6P29
OT OLI UDOH
Here, Saints add a solid high-upside OT for offensive line depth. Udoh has the size, length, and power/strength of an NFL OT. However, he lacks the quickness for move-blocking duties. I trust the Saints F.O. to find a solid offensive lineman with this pick.

FB Alec Ingold
Saints have shown interest in Ingold. Give Zach Line some competition. Ingold is a well-rounded FB with pass-catching abilities. There are other picks I wouldn't mind here, such as Tyron Johnson, WR, as a burner for backup duties to Ted Ginn. Johnson has shown he has great hands and burner speed running a 4.34 40. Oklahoma State used him to take the top off of defenses.

LB Cole Holcomb
Saints have shown interest in Holcomb, bringing him in a for a private visit. Holcomb is a sleeper LB in this draft, a position at which the Saints could use some depth.

"Tough, instinctive linebacker who gets the most from his ability. Quickly picks up assignments, remains disciplined and gives great effort. Diagnoses plays before they unfold, fluidly flows to the action and quickly locates the ball. Does a great job making the defensive calls in the middle of the field. Fires up the field to fill gaps and gives effort against the run. Squares and wraps up tackling. "
http://draftanalyst.com/cole-holcomb

"An incredible athlete, Holcomb demonstrates elite-level speed, agility and flexibility. His lateral quickness allows him to cover a tremendous amount of ground laterally and serve as an effective run-stuffer but it’s his closing speed that is considered to be his greatest attribute. Holcomb was praised by his coaches this past season for his leadership role"
NFLdraftscout.com

We're a mere days away from the Draft and I cant wait! I'm pretty sure we'll make a move at some point in the draft, but I wont do any trade projections here. Really wanted to mock Kahale Warring, JJ.A-C, or Taylor Rapp to us, but i had to take my emotion out of it and go w/BPA and team fit. Short and sweet, here's my final mock of the 2019 season.

RD2(62) Juan Thornhill S/CB/DB Virginia
Thornhill is, dare say, the most versatile DB in the entire draft. Dude plays every DB position and even lines up at the MONEY. W/Vonn set to hit FA in 2020, I think the addition of Thornhill would end up being an upgrade at the position if Vonn ultimately left. He plays the run just as good as Vonn and Thornhill is clearly better in coverage and offers real life ballhawk ability. Pairing Thornhill w/Marcus Williams would give us 2 combo DBs w/major ballhawk potential on the back end.

RD5(168) Jalen Hurd WR/RB Baylor
Hurd's upside as a playmaking RB/WR is tailor made for an innovator of offense like Sean Payton. Hurd may be raw as a WR, but he has really developed hands and the ability to make plays out of the slot and lined up in the backfield. What's more, Hurd's RAC ability is really impressive for a guy sporting a 6'4 220lb plus frame. Hurd's true X-factor is his ability to play RB. His upside and versatility as an offensive playmaker would make him an exciting get for us.

RD6(177) Oli Udoh OT/OG/OL Elon
Udoh is a huge man w/Swing OL ability. His god given attributes make him an interesting developmental OL prospect. You cant teach 6'5 330 w/35 in arm length. Either you are, or you arent, and Udoh already is. Given our history and proven ability to develop late RD OLs, I think Udoh could be another draft diamond at the position.

RD6(202) Trevon Wesco TE West Virginia
Love the blocking ability, and love the upside as a pass catcher moving forward. He also lines up in the backfield as FB. Wesco is more projection than actual production and polish, but we're in the 6th RD. This is exactly where you roll the dice on high upside prospects like Wesco.

RD7(231) Rickey Neal Jr. EDGE/DE/LB Northern Iowa
I love Rickey Neal as a pressure specialist! This kid has some legit pass rush ability. Neal Jr's spin move is wicked NASTY! He also has scheme versatility, playing playing both DE/EDGE and LB over his college career. Neal Jr would be a perfect guy to develop as a pressure specialist/rotational pass rusher. Worst case scenario, he's a core STer and a force on coverage teams.

RD7(244) Ryan Pope OT/OL San Diego State
A similar player to Oli Udoh, Pope has all the measurable traits teams want in an OL prospect. The dude is 6'7 320 w/34 in arms. Pope needs to work on his overall tech, but he's a good run blocker and would be great prospect to develop as a guard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom