My All Time NFL Franchise Rankings (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Because it’s the offseason and it’s a little over two months till preseason.

In no particular order, just in groups.

Like it or not, these are the first franchises that pop up when people think of the NFL.

The Cornerstone Franchises:
Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, Washington, Giants, Bears, Packers, 49ers, Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos.

The next group are successful, but they just missed the cut.

Outside looking in:
Eagles, Dolphins, Colts, Rams

The next group has had success, but it’s all recent. (2000s to the present). They don’t have history dating back to the 20s or 60s, but to anyone under 40, they are just as iconic.

The “New Money” franchises:
Ravens, Saints, Bucs, Seahawks .

The next group is hard to define. They have success. They have at least at least 10 division titles with a couple Super Bowl appearances, but no wins.
They may be known around the League. They may attract a big audience on TV, but they also conjure up memories of pain and what could have been.

Close, but no cigar:
Vikings, Bills, Bengals.

The next group is the one where nobody wants to be.
They don’t attract a big audience when they’re on TV. They don’t sell merchandise. When you mention their names, everyone laughs.

The cellar:
Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Cardinals, Jets, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Chargers.

New Money & 1 Cellar
Four teams are undefeated in their Super Bowl appearances: The Baltimore Ravens (2-0), Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-0), New Orleans Saints (1-0) and New York Jets (1-0)

At this moment, the Lions are the only serious contenders.
Don't sleep on the Texans. I figured them to be cellar dwellers for at least the next decade after what Bill O'Brien did to dismantle the franchise, but "losing" the first pick in the draft last year saved them from drafting Bryant Young and gave them CJ Stroud. Couple that with a coach who actually knows what he's doing (Demeco Ryans) and a much better front office, voila! they suddenly have something. Within five years I expect they'll at least make it to the Super Bowl if not win it.

Don't sleep on the Texans. I figured them to be cellar dwellers for at least the next decade after what Bill O'Brien did to dismantle the franchise, but "losing" the first pick in the draft last year saved them from drafting Bryant Young and gave them CJ Stroud. Couple that with a coach who actually knows what he's doing (Demeco Ryans) and a much better front office, voila! they suddenly have something. Within five years I expect they'll at least make it to the Super Bowl if not win it.
Forgot about the Texans.
On second thought, they are so close to the “New Money” category.

That last group has a few teams that will change their narratives in the next 10 years.
The teams in the “outside looking in” and and “new money” could be swapping w the last group depending on how the next decade or two plays out with them.

For example, regardless of our SB and being one of the top 10 winningest teams since 2000, several HC and QB changes while alternating between mediocrity and disappointment between now and 2040 would put us right back in the basement in the eyes of the average NFL fan.

The same goes for all those 1-2 SB (Bucs, Eagles, Seahawks, etc.) teams whose only success came from 1 HC/QB combo and or a few good seasons here or there.

Ohhh, the offseason topics 😁

You’d have to define cornerstone for me. For example, the Giants were song the original franchises but aren’t on your list of cornerstone franchises.

Ohhh, the offseason topics 😁

You’d have to define cornerstone for me. For example, the Giants were song the original franchises but aren’t on your list of cornerstone franchises.
Cornerstone franchises are the franchises that a non football fan can name off the top of their head.
And I do have the Giants listed. They’re fifth.

The falcons were close to turning the corner. Then they epically lost the superbowl and went on this streak of late game collapses one after the other. It's glorious.

Last edited:
The teams in the “outside looking in” and and “new money” could be swapping w the last group depending on how the next decade or two plays out with them.

For example, regardless of our SB and being one of the top 10 winningest teams since 2000, several HC and QB changes while alternating between mediocrity and disappointment between now and 2040 would put us right back in the basement in the eyes of the average NFL fan.

The same goes for all those 1-2 SB (Bucs, Eagles, Seahawks, etc.) teams whose only success came from 1 HC/QB combo and or a few good seasons here or there.
I considered the “outside looking in” as cornerstone franchises, but with a faded reputation.
For example, the Dolphins. They are still one of the more known franchises, but they haven’t won one in fifty years.
Or a franchise with one Super Bowl, but with pre merger championships like the Eagles.
Or in the Colts and Rams case. Sporadic success through the decades.

Interesting. The Browns would be in my top franchises. There are only two franchises in the NFL with more Championships.

My Top 10 would be....

1. Saints
2. Packers
- 13 Championships (36 playoff appearances*)
3. Browns - 8 Championships (30 playoff appearances)
4. Steelers - 6 Championships (34 playoff appearances)
5. Bears - 9 Championships (27 playoff appearances)
6. Giants - 8 Championships (33 playoff appearances)
7. Patriots - 6 Championships (28 playoff appearances)
8. Dolphins - only undefeated season
9. Cowboys - 5 Championships (36 playoff appearances)
10. Lions - 4 Championships (some of the best DBs in the history of the NFL)

* years with a playoff appearance - not counting multiple appearances within the same postseason

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom